Play Book Tag discussion

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
This topic is about Killers of the Flower Moon
April 2019: History > Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI – David Grann - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1062 comments In the 20s the Osage nation in Oklahoma discovered oil on their land and a fortunate clause in the negotiation that moved the Osage from Kansas to Oklahoma and forced them to get the land in allotments was the separation of mineral rights from land ownership. The mineral rights could only be inherited and not sold. Finding their mistake the government classed the Osage as incompetent to control their money and assigned 'guardians' to dole out the money. This wasn't bad enough, but then people started dying. When a man and then a woman were shot and law enforcement looked the other way, the Osage started hiring private detectives. They either found nothing or had fatal accidents. When close to 24 people related to the case ended up dead an Osage lawyer convinced Hoover to send investigators.

The story is told in 3 parts: the historical background of the tribe, the local whites and Native Americans up through the murder; the investigation and resulting trials; and the aftermath of all the characters, creation of the current FBI and the author's own investigations.

A very informative and readable history of a despicable era in Native American relations. The FBI even charged the Osage to investigate!

message 2: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3168 comments I love true crime so this will likely be a hit for me. On my tbr!

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I read this one for a book group and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Important, powerful read.

message 4: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn (lynm) | 273 comments This sounds really interesting, I am adding it to my TBR. Thanks for the review.