Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > I was told that I can't read Romance because I was a male. And I was told I can't read book on 'Baby Names' until I reach the age of 34.

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Is there really a gap for me to read certain things. I mean it shouldn't matter what persons gender or age is I should be accessed to read any books.

message 2: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) Umm you can read whatever you want?

message 3: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah | 88 comments Whoever told you those things is a complete moron. You can read whatever you want! When I was a young teen I was frequently told that women don't belong in sci-fi and no one cares about female characters. Women practically rule the YA Science-Fiction genre! You can read romances, baby names, whatever you wish; being male does not put a barrier before you. Ignore that person who told you those false statements and "consider the source", as my mother would say.

message 4: by Rachel Adiyah (last edited Apr 12, 2019 05:48AM) (new)

Rachel Adiyah | 88 comments Rumell wrote: "Is there really a gap for me to read certain things. I mean it shouldn't matter what persons gender or age is I should be accessed to read any books."

Back in 6th and 7th grade my friends were reading V.C. Andrews novels. MAYBE our parents should have gotten in the way of us reading Flowers in the Attic or My Sweet Audrina as pre-teens but they didn't, and we didn't turn out so bad. I don't think that there's an age gap. Read whatever you want; I still read Young Adult novels.

And to heck with the gender gap, too! There are still men trying to stop women writing science-fiction, but they don't scare me. Read what you want; write what you want.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael | 154 comments Rumell wrote: "Is there really a gap for me to read certain things. I mean it shouldn't matter what persons gender or age is I should be accessed to read any books."

Excuse my swearing but bull shit, you can read anything you want!!!!!!

message 6: by Karin (last edited Apr 12, 2019 10:32AM) (new)

Karin Seriously? I think if women can read "man" books (as in books marketed primarily to men) men can read romance! And chick lit, etc. There are men who watch soap operas as well, and that has been going on for DECADES. The ones that ran at lunch were watched by some businessmen in their private offices even back when I was a child. I was surprised the first time I heard it, but not anymore.

Plus, there are many men who write those romances with female nom de plumes.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 23 comments Men write romances under their male names, too.

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin And name books? Who cares how old you are??? What a great resource for a writer! My girls loved names and would write lists of them without books, even making up some new ones of their own. And why not boys? My son was not into writing ANYTHING and was more into airplanes and card stacking a la Brian Berg, but don't let that fool you, he is a very sweet, kind, sensitive musician and who says straight men can't be like that? (a bit of a Karin tangent--I'm known for that sort of thing)

I have this issue with stereotypes and enjoy seeing people break them.

message 9: by Karin (new)

Karin MrsJoseph wrote: "Men write romances under their male names, too."

Yes, and more and more now than I remember when I was a kid, too. I'm not a big romance reader, personally, so perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm thinking of the popular genre.

message 10: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 80 comments Books don't have genders, read what you want! I suppose age is a bit more tricky, like you wouldn't give an erotic novel to a 9 year old for example, but otherwise they don't really have ages either. I'm 30 and read My Little Pony graphic novels because they are cute and make me smile. Read what you want, ignore the morons (sorry not sure how else to put it here).

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Rumell wrote: "Is there really a gap for me to read certain things. I mean it shouldn't matter what persons gender or age is I should be accessed to read any books."

You don't answer to anyone when it comes to your reading. Read whatever the heck interests you.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Caroline wrote: "Rumell wrote: "Is there really a gap for me to read certain things. I mean it shouldn't matter what persons gender or age is I should be accessed to read any books."

You don't answer to anyone whe..."

Well said, Caroline.

message 13: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Thanks. :]

message 14: by mysticofworlds (new)

mysticofworlds | 668 comments No one should tell you what you can/cannot do (unless it's harming others, but I digress), read whatever you want- for whatever reason you have

message 15: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 420 comments Is this a serious discussion?

message 16: by Janine (new)

Janine | 15 comments These sound like the type of people that think 'cartoons are for kids, stop watching when you turn 13' and want to police everyone's habits. If I listened to them, I would have missed out on some of my favorite shows, games and books and been stuck watching stuff I don't enjoy because "I was supposed to watch them" or something. Do what you want and don't listen to the haters.

message 17: by Brooke H (new)

Brooke H (spookybrooke02) | 2 comments Wait what? People actually tell other people this?? How does that even affect them at all? It’s your life! That’s really dumb. Read whatever you please, dude! No one can tell you what you can or can’t do!

For example, I’m 18 and I loooove Miraculous Ladybug, and people try to say it’s a show for just kids and I kindly tell them that that’s incorrect because does it say anywhere “ONLY FOR CHILDREN, NO ONE ELSE BUT KIDS MAY WATCH”??? No, it doesn’t, and you know, even if it did, what exactly are they gonna do about it?? Who’s gonna stop me?? Will I spontaneously combust if I watch it?? No.
Besides, I’m in tons of groups for the show and the ages range anywhere from elementary school to 40-50 year olds, so I mean...🤷🏻‍♀️

The earth isn’t gonna spin off its axis just because of what you choose to read or watch, so just ignore what was said to you, and carry on😎

message 18: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments romance books are usually generated towards the female audience.
does that mean "only females" are allowed to read that genre? NO!
if you're a male who likes romance then there's is nothing wrong with that. read whatever makes you happy.

Erin O'Connor {If The Review Fits} | 84 comments I think if you're a male and you want to read about romance and baby names that is perfectly fine

message 20: by Karin (last edited Apr 15, 2019 02:09PM) (new)

Karin Melliott wrote: "Is this a serious discussion?"

Why not? I've seen people make rules like this.

message 21: by Novelist Dienne (new)

Novelist Dienne (novelistdienne) | 6 comments Makes no sense a book is a book if you or anyone else wants to read smut or romance like Kakashi-sensei then that's their problem not yours.