American Westerns discussion

Obscure Western Writers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Barraclough | 13 comments Hi,
I'm looking for westerns by obscure and little-known authors who have maybe written a few good ones over the years but never really achieved fame. Can anyone name any books like this?
Thanks!

message 2: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 74 comments Clifton Adams (sometimes aka Clay Randall, I’ve recently learned); Frank Castle; Elmore Leonard. Can’t go wrong with any Westerns written by those three.

message 3: by Will (new)

Will Welton | 4 comments Chris wrote: "Hi,
I'm looking for westerns by obscure and little-known authors who have maybe written a few good ones over the years but never really achieved fame. Can anyone name any books like this?
Thanks!"

Try some of my books on smashwords.com some of them have been in publication since in the 1970's. let me know what you think and i will send you a free coupon for any of them you want to try. w_welton@yahoo.com and let me know.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Morton (nikmorton) | 11 comments You could try some of mine, Chris. :)
Writing as Ross Morton
DEATH AT BETHESDA FALLS (Hale, 2007)
LAST CHANCE SALOON (Hale, 2008)
THE $300 MAN (Hale, 2009)
BLIND JUSTICE AT WEDLOCK (Hale, 2011)
OLD GUNS (Hale, 2012)
THE MAGNIFICENT MENDOZAS (Hale, 2014)
Writing as Nik Morton
BULLETS FOR A BALLOT (BTAP, 2012)
COFFIN FOR CASH (BTAP, 2016)
Non-fiction:
WRITE A WESTERN IN 30 DAYS (Hunt, 2013)
Editor of anthology:
WHERE LEGENDS RIDE (Express, 2007) co-editor
A FISTFUL OF LEGENDS (Express, 2009) editor
Collected short stories
Volume 3 – VISITORS (2017) [Westerns]

message 5: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 226 comments Not to say that they are obscure, however then are several authors in this group that are well worth reading, including Nik - Ross Morton. Check out J.R. Lindermuth, L. J. Martin, Elisabeth Grace Foley, James Reasoner, Frank Kelso, and Andrew McBride for some great reading. Any others I've missed?

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Morton (nikmorton) | 11 comments Thanks for the endorsement, Edwin. I agree with your selection too - some fine writers there!

message 7: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 46 comments Edwin wrote: "Not to say that they are obscure, however then are several authors in this group that are well worth reading, including Nik - Ross Morton. Check out [author:J.R. Lindermuth|1005496..."

Thanks for including me in such worthy company, Edwin.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 130 comments Still wrote: "Clifton Adams (sometimes aka Clay Randall, I’ve recently learned); Frank Castle; Elmore Leonard. Can’t go wrong with any Westerns written by those three."

I don't know if I'd call Elmore Leonard obscure. Several of his novels were made into movies and television shows, he's got a decent fan base and he's a known and very good writer.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew McBride | 68 comments Edwin wrote: "Not to say that they are obscure, however then are several authors in this group that are well worth reading, including Nik - Ross Morton. Check out [author:J.R. Lindermuth|1005496..."
Thanks for the shout out, Edwin, much appreciated. Should you ever be tempted to write a review of any of my humble efforts, that would be appreciated too!

message 10: by Jack (new)

Jack Knapp | 5 comments I've recently started writing history-based novels of the west. I'm working on my third one now, so I suspect in this genre I'm obscure! The Territory is post-Civil War New Mexico, when NM Territory was governed by crooks. Really.
Jacob Jennings starts before the Texas Revolution and continues into the Republic years. A lot of events were packed into that time!
Unlike most, I look for obscure, but important events and people who ought to be remembered. I do it by having my fictional characters interact with real ones.

message 11: by Jack (new)

Jack Knapp | 5 comments One of the best is Andy Adams; his books are available now on Project Gutenberg, so you can read them for free! Try Log of a Cowboy and The Outlet for ranch stories that feel real.

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack Knapp | 5 comments Another, writing more recently, is Gene Shelton. His use of the vernacular is great, plus there's subtle humor in several.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 130 comments I'd also be interested in knowing about some obscure western authors.

message 14: by William (new)

William Hubbartt | 21 comments Watch for an upcoming give-away to introduce a new title - "Blazing Guns on the Santa Fe Trail: A Clint Carrigan Adventure"

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 130 comments Anyone read any of L.Ron Hubbard's westerns?

message 16: by HornFan2 (new)

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 93 comments Justin wrote: "Anyone read any of L.Ron Hubbard's westerns?" I've read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..., but like WWJ's Smoke and Preacher books better and never read anything else by him.

message 17: by Preston (new)

Preston Shires | 1 comments Never achieved fame, Chris? I qualify with Life in a Casket and Saved by the Bullet. Off and on I've been reading one of Wm Johnstone's books and I would say his are very different from mine, just to give you an idea. I find his book very soothing, uncomplicated, and the story-line somewhat predictable. It's not a criticism, it's a style that works, that's why I keep going back to it while waiting at the elevator to dump corn. Mine are from a young woman's point of view, but with a hint of P.G. Wodehouse, who has nothing to do with westerns. I will say Life in a Casket was a runner up in the Laramie competition, if that means anything.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris Barraclough | 13 comments I like the work of Paul A Hawkins, especially his novel The Shooter. His books are not easy to find though

message 19: by William (new)

William Hubbartt | 21 comments two more days left to bid on the Goodreads E-book giveaway for new release Blazing Guns on the Santa Fe Trail. Good luck. wsh

message 20: by HornFan2 (new)

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 93 comments Chris wrote: "I like the work of Paul A Hawkins, especially his novel The Shooter. His books are not easy to find though"

Chris wrote: "I like the work of Paul A Hawkins, especially his novel The Shooter. His books are not easy to find though"

Really liked his books, have just 'Crow Feather' left to read. A shame that his estate or the publisher haven't bothered to make them accessible as ebooks.

message 21: by Martin (new)

Martin Marais | 11 comments I recommend Gordon L. Rottman.