CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > w/o April 12 to 18, 2019

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
Good morning readers - it is hard to believe that it is Friday again! Some weeks (and months) just fly by!

What have you been reading? What is next?

Anyone have some good suggestions to get out of a reading slump?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Anyone have some good suggestions to get out of a reading slump? "

The best part of a reading slump is the book that ends it! Hope you find that book soon!

message 3: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Apr 12, 2019 04:44AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments Since our last update, I listened to Autumn and loved it. I hope to get to the next one in the series before long. Now I am listening to Gilead, which like so many other Pulitzer Prize winners has been on my TBR forever.

I finished reading The Hour of the Fox, which was kind of meh. At least it counts for a bingo square for a book set in the Maritimes! Now, I'm reading a little known gem by L.M. Montgomery - The Blue Castle. Have to be honest, now that I'm into it, I'm finding it hard to put down!

message 4: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Happy Friday to all.

So glad you liked Autumn, Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺. I'm on hold for Spring at the library and can't wait for it to arrive. As a kid, I read and re-read The Blue Castle obsessively. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Another "meh" reading week for me (sharing Susan's readers' block pain) but I did make it a few chapters into Unmarriageable--a retelling of Pride and Prejudice set in modern day Pakistan. So far, it's pretty good.

I'm just about to start an audiobook by Canadian poet Don Mackay: Songs for the Songs of Birds that combines bird songs with poems. Seems like a good choice for spring.

message 5: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Happy Friday!!
This week I finished listening to The Woo-Woo: How I Survived Ice Hockey, Drug Raids, Demons, and My Crazy Chinese Family and Cat and Nat's Mom Truths: Embarrassing Stories and Brutally Honest Advice on the Extremely Real Struggle of Motherhood. The audiobook version of the former was a little better, but it still did not do it for me. The latter surprised me, as I laughed out loud listening to it.
I also finished reading Fight or Flight for my book club, and If Beale Street Could Talk before watching the movie. Currently listening to We're Going to Need More Wine and reading The Red Address Book.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments ✿✿✿May wrote: "I also finished reading Fight or Flight for my book club, and If Beale Street Could Talk before watching the movie. "

How was If Beale Street Could Talk? I have the audiobook just waiting for a listen!!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 940 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished Asymmetry. I have mixed feelings on this one but it certainly was an interesting novel and my IRL book club had a good discussion about it. I think this is an ambitious novel that didn't quite come together in the end, but I am curious to see what this author does next.

I also finished Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup, which is just an incredible, jaw-dropping story. I'm not sure how people like Elizabeth Holmes can sleep at night - she's clearly a sociopath, but her recklessness is mind-boggling.

I'm back to less serious reading now with No Tomorrow, the second Killing Eve novel. It is trashy fun.

message 8: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "✿✿✿May wrote: "I also finished reading Fight or Flight for my book club, and If Beale Street Could Talk before watching the movie. "

How was If Beale Street Could Talk? I have the aud..."

I liked the book, but the structure threw me off (it was only 2 chapters and it went back and forth in time between paragraphs). Hopefully the audiobook makes it work better. I am hoping the movie will create the necessary breaks for the story.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments Susan wrote: "I also finished Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup, which is just an incredible, jaw-dropping story. I'm not sure how people like Elizabeth Holmes can sleep at night - she's clearly a sociopath, but her recklessness is mind-boggling."

There is a task in the Read Harder challenge this year to read a book of non-violent true crime and I was thinking about this one. Your comments make it sound like a good choice!

message 11: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ and Storyheart, I was obsessed with The Blue Castle growing up! Have not re-read it since. There was also a scandal at the time about Colleen McCullough having allegedly plagiarized it for one of her novels, though I can't remember the name. In any case, there were similarities, and I remember having enjoyed both of them.

This week I read and really liked Circe. I hadn't read the author's previous novel, but would like too. I'm not generally that interested in mythology and the story took a while to get going for me, but then I was thoroughly engaged.

message 12: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Emmkay wrote: " I'm not generally that interested in mythology and the story took a while to get going for me, but then I was thoroughly engaged. ."
I'm not that interested in myths either but I truly enjoyed this one on audio. I liked the starkness of the characters and some of her imagery.

I have her The Song of Achilles on my desk but haven't felt moved to start it yet. Let me know if you feel like doing a buddy read of it later this spring or summer. Any friend of The Blue Castle is a friend of mine ;)

message 13: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 831 comments Storyheart wrote: "Emmkay wrote: " I'm not generally that interested in mythology and the story took a while to get going for me, but then I was thoroughly engaged. ."
... I have her The Song of Achilles on my desk but haven't felt moved to start it yet..."

Loved Loved Loved Song of Achilles. I took Classical Civilizations in high school _ Good old Jarvis Collegiate Institute - so I was and am familiar with stories covered in this book - I gave it four stars.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments Hi all! @Susan reading slump eh? A few weeks ago I finished a research novel (?) called The Girls Who Went Away”. Ann Fessler (an adoptee) wrote this book based on her interviews with mothers who lost their babies to adoption in the 1940-70s. It was of particular interest to me bc I am also an adoptee, I found it fascinating. And on audio I’m about half way through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, great narrator. Monkey Beach is engaging, I’m just about 1/3 into it. I hope you find a good one! Happy Friday everyone.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments @Rainey - I went to JCI as well (Graduated ‘97)!! Second oldest high school in Ontario.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments @Sarah, are you reading Monkey Beach or listening to it? I have the audiobook and plan to listen to it soon.

message 17: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 831 comments Sarah wrote: "@Rainey - I went to JCI as well (Graduated ‘97)!! Second oldest high school in Ontario."

Graduated 1984 LOL

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments @Allison hikes the bookwoods - I’m reading Monkey Beach in book form. The narrator can really make or break the story, in audio, hey? Let me know how this one sounds.

message 19: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 121 comments Hi Friends!

I finished a bunch of books since I last posted: Becoming felt long as I was reading it, and I wasn't sure I loved it. Then I started talking about it with friends, and it was such a discussion starter! So yeah, I did really like it, but mostly I like the way it has us all talking about important issues. I finished The Tattooist of Auschwitz which was ok, but not great. It couldn't hold a candle to By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz.

I do want to shout out for a small book by a lesser known author that I read as a NetGalley digital ARC. Bad Ideas by Missy Marston comes out on April 23, published by ECW Press. I have a friend who is an editor at ECW and she recommended this to me. It was very very good. The opening page is one of the best openings I've read in a while. It totally hooked me in. The plot follows a young woman who is unlucky in love and has an (undeserved) reputation as a loose woman, and her relationship with a new boyfriend who has a whopper of a bad idea, as well as her relationship with her mother and sister -- both of whom have a history of really bad ideas. The writing is fast and witty and the dialogue is crisp and the characters are well developed. I really really liked the book. And the ending! I LOVED the ending. So grab this one and give a new author a chance!

I'm currently reading Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss which I won as a Goodreads giveaway. I'm also listening to There There on audio.

Lots of good books in everyone's list this week, I really enjoy seeing what others think of their reads!

Cheers!
Cynthia

message 20: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 174 comments Hello everyone! I have also been in a bit of a reading slump. I blame spring and the fact that my cows are calving, which brings extra chores. I did finish A Brief History of Time...sort of. I admit to skimming some of it when it became too much physics for my brain to handle. I am completely in awe of Stephen Hawking's brilliance, but I think he believed he was writing Physics For Dummies, and just didn't realize how dumb some of us really are! I have now started Lady's Maid, a novel about Elizabeth Barrett Browning's lady's maid, which I am enjoying so far.

@Emmkay, Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ and Storyheart, I also loved The Blue Castle!

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 842 comments There's some great reading going on this week. I haven't read any of the mentioned books, except There There (really enjoyed it), so many books have gone onto my TBR list.

I've read a few books since last posting:
Oryx and Crake - a rereading. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It leaves some open questions and puzzles. Atwood is good at making us think. I'll be continuing with a reread of the trilogy soon. I already have The Year of the Flood from the library.
Wild Seed - an interesting and sometimes frustrating story. It's very well written but so disturbing. The control displayed by the main character was truly disturbing. The breending program reminded me of the Bene Gesserit program in Dune but the program in Wild Seed is so much more brutal and forced.
Spring Snow - I just finished this today. It's a lovely, artistic, zen-like love story between 2 young Japanese lovers caught in the cross-roads of culture and social standing. This book is the first of a tetralogy and I will be continuing with the other books soon.

message 22: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments I got quite a bit of reading done this week which is great, but it was for the wrong reason as hubby ended up in the hospital with sepsis, and I spent most of the week sitting by his bedside.

Finished:
Our Daily Bread-excellent
A Boy of Good Breeding- pretty good, I have now read all of Miriam Toews's novels
Looking for Alaska-so -so
Fathers and Sons probably a great novel, but I was not in the headspace to concentrate on it
Night Shift a nice pleasant guilty pleasure, just what i needed

Hubby is home and on the mend now,

message 23: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments @Storyheart, I would definitely be interested in reading The Song of Achilles together!

@Heather (Gibby), so sorry to hear about your husband’s sepsis - glad he is on the mend.

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra | 842 comments Heather, that sounds scary. I'm glad you and your husband are now at home. Hope your husband is back to his full self soon.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2053 comments Glad to hear your husband is doing better @Heather(Gibby).

message 26: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Emmkay wrote: "@Storyheart, I would definitely be interested in reading The Song of Achilles together!"

Wonderful! Anyone else care to join us?
Emmkay, how does late May sound? Or early June?

message 27: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Heather, you must both have been so worried and scared. I'm so glad to hear your husband is on the mend.

message 28: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments @ everyone, thanks for your kind words.

message 29: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 279 comments I've been out of the loop for a while, engaged in the sad task of disposing of all my mother's furniture and possessions. She died in 2017. I know many of you either have been through this, or will go through it in the next few years. My mother was such a hoarder that I was reminded of the book They Left Us Everything: A Memoir. I even wrote a blog post about it, if anyone is interested: www.elinorflorence.com/blog/family-me....

message 30: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments Elinor, that's such a wonderful blog post. I'm sure it was painful and difficult work sifting through your mother's things, but you've beautifully highlighted some real finds - I wonder how on earth she came by some of them! My mother has been reading The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter lately, she tells me - one day when the unthinkable happens, she's determined to leave me nothing to sift through!

Storyheart, late May-early June for The Song of Achilles is perfect!

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 233 comments I was having fun in the sun in Cancun and packed lots of reading but that sun (and maybe drinks) made me so sleepy! I did make progress on The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, which I am loving!