Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Archives > Rosenrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela | 402 comments From Goodreads:

Tom Stoppard's reputation as a playwright was made when his dazzling debut, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, opened at the National Theatre. Fifty years later, the play's wit, stagecraft and verbal verve remain as exhilarating as they were in 1967 as the two ill-fated attendant lords from Shakespeare's Hamlet take centre stage, musing on the purpose of existence and its end. This new edition publishes to coincide with a fiftieth anniversary production at The Old Vic, London, and contains a new preface by the author.

I read this for 2019’s Week 5: a book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare. A very clever and witty play, it takes two minor characters from Hamlet and sets them at the forefront of the action, while Hamlet, Polonius and Ophelia are in the background. I adored this, and recommend it highly.

Valerie | 351 comments I read this book/play for the ATY 2019 Reading Challenge Week 5: Inspired by Shakespeare.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were minor characters in Shakespeare's Hamlet. Tom Stoppard gave them a play all their own; it is great! In a way, it is like Waiting for Godot, because so much revolves around speculation. In this "hurry up and wait" atmosphere the two men create many funny situations, which, in a dramatic twist, end in tragedy. I may now have to read Hamlet.