Play Book Tag discussion

Nine Perfect Strangers
This topic is about Nine Perfect Strangers
Archive: Other Books > Nine Perfect Strangers / Liane Moriarty - 2.5**

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty
Nine Perfect Strangers – Liane Moriarty
Audiobook performed by Caroline Lee
2.5***

Adapted from the book jacket: Nine people gather at a remote health resort, expecting luxury, pampering, and meditation. But none can imagine how challenging the next ten days will be. As guests arrive they are struck by the strange and charismatic owner/director. Should they surrender to the process – or run while they still can?

My reactions:
It’s certainly not Moriarty’s best work, in my humble opinion.

On the one hand I really enjoyed some of these guests’ stories: a romance writer who fell prey to an internet dating scam, a family trying to heal from one member’s suicide, a divorced woman obsessed with body image, a gay attorney struggling with the decision to become a parent, a young couple whose lives change when they won the lottery, and a former footballer and now divorced grandfather. Like the guests, I was initially mesmerized by the story of Masha, the owner/director of Tranquillum House.

On the other hand, I didn’t really like any of these characters, and was completely irritated by Masha’s psychobabble new-age philosophy on fixing what was wrong with them. I also didn’t like the ending, with its fast-forward to weeks or years later in order to catch up on what happened.

Caroline Lee does a fine job performing the audio version, however. She sets a good pace and is up to the task of voicing a wide range of characters.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I agree 100%. Not my favorite Moriarty, but given the subject I sure do remember this well, probably better than her others.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8309 comments This one is on my trim list of 36. Because I will eventually read it because it’s her.