James Mustich's 1000 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Notes on the Bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Apr 22, 2019 11:37AM) (new)

Rachel (sleepysheep) | 8 comments Mod
Although it is still under construction, here some general FYI on the way the group bookshelf is arranged:

--all books in the main list are included on the 1000-checklist shelf
--additional titles listed in the book under More to Explore and Booknote are listed on their respective shelves
--genre shelves correlate to the What: section in the endnote of each entry, in case there is any interest in genre challenges or just to help organize your reading
--when a specific edition is recommended, that is the edition on the shelf (whenever possible)
--when more than one edition is recommended the first two (maybe three) are included with a note indicating alternate recommended editions
--lists from the end section "A Miscellany of Special Lists" are shelved with z- followed by the name of the list so that they are grouped together at the end (feel free to suggest a better system)
--lists (including "The Next 1,000" titles) from the newsletters have their own shelves and are labeled with newsletter number (nl#); these will be updated as newsletters are released

I didn't create shelves for the lists in the back of the book since they don't include new titles, but I would welcome feedback or thoughts on adding those.

I also haven't added all of the thousands of additional titles in the Further Reading, Also By, and other notes after each main title but I think if there are challenges or other reasons to add these titles to shelves as we go it is worth considering.

Feel free to post comments, suggestions, corrections, etc. here and I will do my best to integrate feedback!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (sleepysheep) | 8 comments Mod
Side note re: the newsletter lists -- I do not have access to newsletters 1-3. If anyone has them and wants to send any book lists or other recs, feel free!

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Moore (nathanmoore) Thanks for doing this. Super helpful. I'm constantly away from my hardcopy wanting to have access to the list.

message 4: by Andrea | Facciponte Design Bookshelf (last edited Aug 05, 2019 11:30AM) (new)

Andrea | Facciponte Design Bookshelf (faccipontedesignshelf) | 6 comments So excited to find a group of people whittling down this list! For anyone interested, I created a spreadsheet on Google where I could keep track of ones that I've read (and it adds up the totals). Feel free to add yourself! Looking forward to reading with you! :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 5: by Marlise (new)

Marlise (mawz76) | 175 comments Mod
Andrea! Thank you so much for making the spreadsheet, I've added myself to it! I've read probably btwn 30 to 40 of them in my life, but last year is when I REALLY got back into reading after a long hiatus, so I'm counting from last year!

Andrea | Facciponte Design Bookshelf (faccipontedesignshelf) | 6 comments Marlise wrote: "Andrea! Thank you so much for making the spreadsheet, I've added myself to it! I've read probably btwn 30 to 40 of them in my life, but last year is when I REALLY got back into reading after a long..."

No problem Marlise! I began binge reading about three years ago and finally decided it would be a great idea to add some classics to my list instead of just new releases. Hopefully this spreadsheet and group will keep me motivated!

Glad you added yourself to the list! There may be one or two books missing (I looked it over numerous times and couldn't figure out which one I left out :P) - so maybe this challenge will help find the missing title lol.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments So the 'z' lists come from the book itself? And the 'next 1000' come from the newsletter?

message 9: by James (new)

James Mustich | 27 comments Rachel wrote: "Side note re: the newsletter lists -- I do not have access to newsletters 1-3. If anyone has them and wants to send any book lists or other recs, feel free!"

Hi Rachel -- see my response to Bryan at message 7 in this thread to links to all the newsletters, so you can see 1-3 if you'd like.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments Thanks, James--I'll check them out

James Mustich's 1000 Books to Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread