Play Book Tag discussion

The Glass Ocean
This topic is about The Glass Ocean
Archive: Other Books > The Glass Ocean by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig, and Karen White -- 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Apr 11, 2019 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments The Glass Ocean by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig, and Karen White
2 stars

75% of this book gets 3.5 stars. But the last 25% gets 1.5 stars. It was a promising start that was just dragged out too long.

The Team W Writing Trio weaves together the tale of three women centered around the crossing, and sinking, of the Lusitania. In May 2013, Sarah is a nonfiction author who is looking for her next inspiration. She knows that a distant relative was a butler on the Lusitania and his past seems to be hiding some secrets. On the Lusitania, wealthy Caroline is traveling with her husband who simply reveals that he is "doing business" when they arrive in London. But, the fissures in her marriage are not helped by the dashing Robert who just happens to be on board as well. And, third class passenger Tessa is running a major grift with her sister. While copying a rare piece of music seems easy enough, it is complicated by the interest by Germans on board that are hiding in plain sight.

Most of this book was interesting enough. It wasn't a barn burner by any stretch, but it was keeping me fairly engaged and entertained. Until it ground to a halt. It was not hard to figure out what was going on. It was not hard to piece together what happened to Caroline and Robert after the Lusitania. It was not hard to figure out who the "bad guy" was. I put all of that together with another 100 pages to go and then those 100 pages just beat a dead horse.

You know what it felt like? It felt like the move Titanic after water starts pouring into the ship. We know what it coming. The ship is sinking. But it takes FOREVER to get there. This is the book form of that.

And, throw in for added measure the fact that Sarah's relative was the inspiration for her looking into the Lusitania and then we just suddenly stopped hearing about him halfway through the book. Oh, and Sarah had this weird romance with this British guy who was a descendent of Robert's that ended in childish antics; Sarah had a boozy, gossipy lunch with someone she knew better than to be talking to and John reacted like a small child.

It just didn't work for me. I am going to partially blame my mood at the time and partially blame the fact that I was listening to an audiobook at the same time that I also was not enjoying. But, ultimately, a chunk of the blame lies with the book.

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Apr 11, 2019 01:11PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7895 comments Bummer-I have this on my shelf to read next month for a another challenge group....I may rethink it now. Absolutely hate when a book shows so much promise and it ends up a disappointment. I really trust your instinct and reviews so I am pretty sure I will be looking for something else to fill that slot. Thanks for the heads up!
And sorry you had 2 duds in a row😑

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Yeah, I can’t say I recommend it very highly. I was definitely impacted because I was reading another 2 star book at the same time though.

What is the type/category of book that you were reading this to fit?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments The Faux/Pretend Self Proclaimed TBR Slasher has a maniacal plan! I am cackling like a deranged witch with delight! You know I will do anything to cut my TBR. I actually even have this book out of the library. Here is my plan. I’m going to return the book to the library, and take it off my TBR immediately! But just in case I would have loved the book after all, and here’s where the brilliance of the plan enters… Beatrice Williams is on my list of authors that eventually one each year, I will read everything of theirs I haven’t read. So I will read the glass ocean, when it’s Beatriz’s year, thus allowing me to reduce by my TBR by just one! But every little bit counts...

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6218 comments This was on my radar but no longer.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments On the flip side, I got an ARC of Beatriz’s new book, The Golden Hour, that I cannot wait to dive into! Especially given how much I enjoyed The Summer Wives.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments And yes - the Golden Hour is indeed on my TBR, or it will Replace Glass Ocean - sigh! Go Faux Slashette! Go Go!

message 8: by Joanne (last edited Apr 12, 2019 06:54AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7895 comments Nicole R wrote: "Yeah, I can’t say I recommend it very highly. I was definitely impacted because I was reading another 2 star book at the same time though.

What is the type/category of book that you were reading ..."

"Vacations from Hell"-LOL-I already switched it out with a book I have on my real life shelf-Bel Canto, have you read it?

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7895 comments Amy wrote: "The Faux/Pretend Self Proclaimed TBR Slasher has a maniacal plan! I am cackling like a deranged witch with delight! You know I will do anything to cut my TBR. I actually even have this book out of ..."

And happy Friday morning - you made me Lol, Amy. How sinister we become when slashing😂😂-I just re-added a book due to rave reviews I just saw here-BUT-here is the great news: I have been slashing so much I am now below 800 books, when I hit 799 the other day I thought of you.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments I fail to believe I’m a role model in this regard. She who uses her phone to pretend she is still under 450!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments However, for sure coming off TBR in April, the book I am reading now, the Huntress, Daisy Jones and the Six, and perhaps the Angels Game. I am reading extremely few books that are not on my TBR, so hopefully, 90 of the Hundred books I read this year will clear.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I have read Bel Canto! It has been a while ago but I remember really enjoying it.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7895 comments Nicole R wrote: "I have read Bel Canto! It has been a while ago but I remember really enjoying it."

Great! Thanks