What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Long Way Home
This topic is about The Long Way Home
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Scifi book fierce orange furry creature on cover. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Rater | 24 comments I had a paperback scifi book in the late 70's/early 80's. On the cover was a fierce man-shaped orange furry creature stepping out of the door of a spaceship towards the viewer. He probably had a gun. The book started with a spaceship returning to earth after many, many years, but because they'd been traveling at near-light speeds, they were relatively the same age as when they'd left, but they expected everyone they knew to be long gone. The main character thought of his wife and said something to the effect of "Goodbye, dear dust." That's about all I can remember.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 203 comments The light speed/age element is a big feature of Joe Haldeman's The Forever War. It's been republished a lot, and there is a rather large selection of covers to choose from.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Holland | 124 comments The alien on the cover sounds likes a kzinti, from Larry Niven's books. There was a number of books with short stories about the human kzinti wars, does that ring any bells?

This is one of the compilations of the series:
The Best of All Possible Wars by Larry Niven

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob Rater | 24 comments Thanks for your responses. I looked through both of those suggestions, and neither one seemed to pan out. The kzinti did look very much like the creature on the cover I'm remembering, but I couldn't find that cover among the books. Also, it looks like the man-kvin war books came out in 1988 and later, so they would be too late.

I do remember reading a science fiction anthology around that time, and it may be a long shot that they're the same book. The only story I can remember from the anthology is one where 2 individuals were trying to get past a robot guarding a horde of treasure. The robot would ask a series of questions, and at the end of the questions, it would kill the person. The first individual tried, answered all the questions he could, and used a computer to find the answers to questions he didn't. Then the robot killed him. The 2nd individual decided to try too, but decided to try a different approach. Instead of answering the questions correctly, he just spouted nonsense that had nothing to do with the questions. Then the robot stopped asking questions and allowed him to pass. He picked out several pieces of treasure, then when he started to leave, the robot asked him why he'd chosen those pieces. He gave a truthful answer, then realized with horror that the series of questions hadn't ended, and then the robot killed him.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Then the robot stopped asking questions and allowed him to pass. He picked out several pieces of treasure, then when he started to leave, the robot asked him why he'd chosen those pieces. He gave a truthful answer, then realized with horror that the series of questions hadn't ended, and then the robot killed him.

This is Robert Silverberg's Sixth Palace The Sixth Palace. Here's a list of where it's been collected http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Silverberg writes about the story here http://www.asimovs.com/assets/1/6/Ref... and it's available here https://archive.org/stream/Galaxy_v23...

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob Rater | 24 comments Thanks! I'll check the links out!

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Great. Let us know if it's the right story.

message 9: by Rob (new)

Rob Rater | 24 comments So it wasn't the same book, but like I said, it was a long shot. Still, good to know what that story was called, because I'm interested to see what the other sci fi stories were in that collection I read.

And in other news, I found my frickin' book! It's "The Long Way Home" by Poul Anderson. Looks like the cat-like creature was going into the spaceship, not out of it. But it did have a gun.

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Glad you found your book.

Link The Long Way Home