NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

NetGalley Tips > Older than 3 months

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 44 comments My apologies, I'm sure I've seen this talked about but I couldn't find it when I went to look. As long as the book is reviewed before publication, does it matter if it slips to the 3 months shelf first? I try to read in publication order, so if I'm granted access to a book with a long date it goes to the bottom of my TBR. Should I be trying to keep them off the 3 month as well?

message 2: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 73 comments I have three that have slipped onto my 3 month shelf on two of the them publication day is very far off so I'm just going to wait and read them in the order of publication date. I do wish they hadn't slipped to the past 3 months shelf because I have to remember to look at them each time I check publication dates. So the answer to your question is "I don't know" :-)

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 44 comments I keep mine on gtasks, I can order them by the date there so I always know what's next. :D

message 4: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 73 comments Aoife wrote: "I keep mine on gtasks, I can order them by the date there so I always know what's next. :D"

Very good idea, I do have a calendar with certain book notifications on it but I think I'll add all publications dates, too. :-)

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 44 comments marilyn wrote: "Aoife wrote: "I keep mine on gtasks, I can order them by the date there so I always know what's next. :D"

Very good idea, I do have a calendar with certain book notifications on it but I think I'l..."

It's definitely made it easier for me. I like the tablet interface the best, but phone and computer are fine too and they all sync automatically. (As far as I can tell, the phone version is the only one that will tell me how many tasks are on my list, which I do like.)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 163 comments Aoife, you sound very conscientious. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.
At present, I have 61 titles that are over 3 months. My feedback ratio is 82% and I have no trouble getting approved for new titles.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 430 comments FYI for all of you who are commenting on books that are slipping onto the 3 month shelf even though they aren't publishing for a while.

An easy way to correct this is to download the book again and it will then appear back on your current titles shelf, voila!! I find it helps me a lot to keep them all on the same shelf. Then I can easily sort them by pub date and see what I should be reading next, or shortly anyway. I can't take credit for this "fix" as it's been going around on the NetGalley Readers site on and off for quite a while now :) Just a suggestion if it helps you as it does me :)

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 44 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Aoife, you sound very conscientious. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.
At present, I have 61 titles that are over 3 months. My feedback ratio is 82% and I have no trouble getting ap..."

Thank you! I was hoping the answer would be something like that, but I don't know why they have a 3 months shelf in the first place!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 430 comments Aoife wrote: "Fictionophile wrote: "Aoife, you sound very conscientious. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.
At present, I have 61 titles that are over 3 months. My feedback ratio is 82% and I have..."

Aoife I don't know how long you have been on NetGalley, but it was not originally like this, they did it with one of their changes, can't remember which one :)

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 44 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote:

Ah, I see! Thank you, Dorie.

message 11: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 73 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "FYI for all of you who are commenting on books that are slipping onto the 3 month shelf even though they aren't publishing for a while.

An easy way to correct this is to download the book again an..."

Oh wow, thank you for this Dorie 😊

message 12: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Smith (alyssanmccord) | 1 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Aoife, you sound very conscientious. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.
At present, I have 61 titles that are over 3 months. My feedback ratio is 82% and I have no trouble getting ap..."

WOW being able to sort my books by pub date just floored me and changed my life! lol I was writing lists to keep track of pub dates!!!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 430 comments I'm glad I could be of some help. You all know how to sort by pub date either backwards or forwards? Sometimes if you're new it isn't obvious :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 430 comments Alyssa wrote: "Fictionophile wrote: "Aoife, you sound very conscientious. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.
At present, I have 61 titles that are over 3 months. My feedback ratio is 82% and I have..."

I still type up lists of all of the books I have due for each month, between EW and NetGalley and ARCs that publishers send me it's easy to get confused. I still like a physical list that I can just glance at, scratch stuff off, add to, etc. :)

message 15: by Connie (new)

Connie | 16 comments Golly! I always schedule the reading of books I have downloaded from NetGalley so that I can post the review on the exact publication date. I thought that was the point of it all. I don't want to give out too many spoilers. Another big reason is that Amazon will not allow us to post a review until the date of publication.

message 16: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (midge1) | 19 comments Does anyone know why there is a 3-month shelf in the first place?

Do you get a red flag or a black mark for having any books on this shelf?

I re-downloaded one of mine but that just meant that I didn't know precisely how long I had the book for. Is it used in NetGalley and/or publishers decisions? I try not to have any books for more than 3 months but for the two I currently have, the publishing dates are still a long way off. I would read/review immediately if I knew it was going against me.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 430 comments Bridget wrote: "Does anyone know why there is a 3-month shelf in the first place?

I re-downloaded one of mine but that just meant that I ..."

I don't know why they added that shelf but if you keep your feedback ratio high that is what they really look for, I keep mine around 97, 98% and pretty much get whatever I ask for, I've also been doing this for 4 years.

message 18: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 73 comments Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Does anyone know why there is a 3-month shelf in the first place?

I re-downloaded one of mine but that ju..."

I feel like the world is balanced again now that I used your advice and re-downloaded the books that were on the over 3 month shelf. Now that shelf is empty and all my books show up on the main Give Feedback page. :-)

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 14 comments I don't think that there is a need to re-download anything. As long as the books on the "older than 3 months" shelf have not been published yet then I don't see how there could be a problem.

I also have a print out of all my netgalley and edelweiss books in release order. I find this super helpful.

message 20: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 73 comments Jennifer wrote: "I don't think that there is a need to re-download anything. As long as the books on the "older than 3 months" shelf have not been published yet then I don't see how there could be a problem.

I als..."

I like them all on one page so that I can click on the publication date and read the book that is closest to publishing. I've been checking both shelves but sometimes I forget about the 3 month shelf.

The print out would be helpful.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I wish they’d never created the 3-month tab because it prevents sorting by pub date, but I don’t know how any of you could manage this without a separate spreadsheet. My hats off to you in finding ways that work best for you. I long-since have abandoned aspiring to keep my ratio over 90%, but still require a list to even inform my next selection. Admittedly, it’s the moment I joined EW+ that I knew I’d need an integrated list of release dates. If one is only on NG and is more disciplined than I, perhaps it’s not necessary.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 430 comments Everyone has their own system. I find it super helpful to have them all on the same shelf, then put them in publication order. The "older than 3 month" shelf is pretty useless as it doesn't matter when you downloaded the book i.e. there would be no point in reading and reviewing a book that I downloaded 3 months ago if it isn't publishing until August and I have many other books "ahead of it" to read.

I just offered it as a suggestion to those of us who like things ordered in one column and there were people asking about how to do this :)

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Everyone has their own system. I find it super helpful to have them all on the same shelf, then put them in publication order. The "older than 3 month" shelf is pretty useless as it doesn't matter ..."

Totally understood! I don’t know why they would have created it.

message 24: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 60 comments I wonder if anyone likes that 3-month tab. It really gets in the way of keeping tabs and to make things worse it's even worse to access it from a cell phone, so if i'm not on my notebook when I need to pick my next read I end up ignoring exactly the books I should be paying more attention because they're somewhere else....... Sorry for the venting.

I think the idea was for us to pay more attention to those, except it does the opposite for me.

message 25: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 44 comments Thamy wrote: "I wonder if anyone likes that 3-month tab. It really gets in the way of keeping tabs and to make things worse it's even worse to access it from a cell phone, so if i'm not on my notebook when I nee..."

And I'm pretty sure they don't show up on the weekly checklist! Mine this week said I had four titles waiting for feedback, and when I was on Netgalley I saw four on my shelf and two more on the Three Months shelf...

message 26: by Steve (new)

Steve (st4veb0l) | 31 comments I had a couple on the 3 month shelf but read them at my own speed and posted the reviews didn't seem to matter.

message 27: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 163 comments Has anyone noticed that the 'older than 3 months' shelf has disappeared?
Do you know if they will bring it back?
I have several books on mine that I still want to review...

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 262 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Has anyone noticed that the 'older than 3 months' shelf has disappeared?
I have several books on mine that I still want to review..."

Yes, they've said it was a glitch caused by the audiobook update. They're working on a fix.

message 29: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 163 comments Melanie wrote: "Fictionophile wrote: "Has anyone noticed that the 'older than 3 months' shelf has disappeared?
I have several books on mine that I still want to review..."

..."
Thanks Melanie. I'm glad to hear it won't be gone forever. LOL

message 30: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments So...all my unread NG books are now back to old school (all under the "See All" shelf). Not sure if this is temp...or perm. fix.