What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's/YA contemporary - Sisters living with grandmother in rundown house selling recycling for income. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 1 comments I'm not sure this is a book. It might be more like a short story or novella. I remember reading it in middle school, likely 7th grade (2002-2003), in Maryland. I think it was printed in a textbook we had in reading class. It seemed to me that the textbook wasn't too old, probably less than 5 years old. The school itself was only 10 years old when I attended.

I remember that the story features a middle school(?) girl, her younger sister, and her grandmother. Something had happened to the girls' mother (died?) and the father was also not in the picture somehow, so they were sent to live with their grandmother in a very rundown house, like practically falling down, no electricity.

I remember parts of the story describing how they would walk along the side of the road picking up recycling and aluminum cans to sell to recycling plants for income. I think another character in the story was a friend of the older sister from school. Something like the friend had seen her, her sister, and her grandmother walking along the road picking up trash and had asked her about it.

*SPOILER* (view spoiler)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Felicia ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 210 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!