Neja's Book Club discussion

Reading > At what age did you fall in love with reading?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Summer (new)

Summer (summer654) | 81 comments Mod
Let's go back to the start. Where you a child? Grown up? Did it happen decades ago? Yesterday?

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Schlichting (barbschlichting) | 2 comments I fell in love with reading as soon as I could read. Now I'm 66 so I've been a reader for a very long time.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Lemons | 2 comments I started reading because I had to for school. I never got really interested in it. I don't like reading because I have to. But as soon as they brought me to the library-instant click. I was in love. So many books, so many genres. I couldn't pick. I would spend the whole time scoping out for next library visit after i had already picked out my book. It was an adventure from there.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 6 comments I've read since I could and have never given it up. I'm a book person, but because of reading series books I do read on my tablet when I can't get hold of a book.

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (toolshed181st) | 1 comments My grade 1 teacher, Ms. Attersley, bought every student in her class a book at the end of the year. Mine was On the Way Home by Jill Murphy. In this book a girl scrapes her knee and makes up stories about how it happened to every friend she runs into on her way home. One of the friends is named Jonathan. I'm relatively sure this is why I started loving books. I still have the book and it's dated June 25th, 1986, so that would make me 7.

message 6: by Art (new)

Art | 4 comments I was hound, I think I read my first adult western novel, Kiowa Trail, when Imwas about 7 or 8, and it was full speed ahead after that.

message 7: by Art (new)

Art | 4 comments * I was young.

Can’t see m to edit my original comment.

message 8: by Kara (new)

Kara | 3 comments I don’t remember, but I know it was when I was very young. My older sister used to read to me out of a big red Disney compilation book and I remember really being excited to learn to read on my own.

message 9: by Stefuh (new)

Stefuh | 3 comments I started reading when I was about 4 years old, a lot of times, before going to bed, I would join my mom into her own bed and we would read for a couple of hours. I've loved reading ever since, but only started reading a lot more around 4 or 5 years ago. :)

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Apr 17, 2019 06:16PM) (new)

Lisa Lingrell (lisa_lingrell) | 1 comments 7 or 8? Hi Fella was the first chapter book that I read myself, got completely immersed in and cried. I lost myself and was overjoyed at the happy ending. Also The Little Match Girl which was the first time I understood how weighty stories could be. All those emotions weren't lost on me and began a life long love affair with the written word.

message 11: by Annette (new)

Annette Barber | 2 comments I remember vividly the moment I learned to read my first word. “Tip”. On the very next page I read “Tip! Tip!” I was so excited that the spotted terrier dog, named Tip, was bouncing on the page in excitement also. I sat in a little circle with my first grade teacher, my first year of school. For some reason, they had not provided kindergarten. From that moment on, I loved books. The bookmobile came to our little town in the summer. I loved climbing aboard the little bus and breathing in the smell of books, always dismayed at the two book limit. I would read through those way before the bookmobile would return, and book access was so limited in my rural setting. My love of books led to a teaching career in English. Books have blessed me.

message 12: by Mayank (new)

Mayank Chawla (themayankchawla) | 1 comments My mother is solely responsible for my love for reading and I cannot thank her enough in my entire life. She recognised early, my interest & my curiosity and brought me different varieties of books- from short stories to comics. As my interest grew I pressed her hard for more books. Although she was working & bookstores were away from her place of work, she never refused me & consistently fed my hunger for more books. I started reading perhaps at the age of 3 or 4. And today I cannot live without books. :)

message 13: by Deb (new)

Deb | 7 comments I cannot remember a time when books were not like air to me. I always wanted to be read to. I played librarian with my stuffed animals and dolls. I always had the biggest stack when the Scholastic book orders arrived. I would finish desk work quickly so I would be allowed to help the school librarian reshelve books. My father read, my mother read, the house was full of books and they were cherished gifts, kept from one generation to the next.

message 14: by Matti (new)

Matti (mattiwesterlund) | 7 comments The first time was in school, I think I was about 10 or so, I tore through all the Enid Blytons and got started on Tolkien and so on. Then in high school there was a period when I didn't really read. Now that sounds awkward, but there were so many new things I was into, new people, I started playing in bands, there was just so much life, and of course the school books to read (which I don't count as reading here.)
Then, right after high school, my sister gave me Dostojevski's Crime and Punishment as a Christmas present and I decided on the spot to read it. I did, and completely loved it, but what's more, fell in love with reading again. And I never stopped since. I always have the next book ready when the one I'm reading is nearing its end.
(I didn't stop playing in bands either! ;) )

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 2 comments A very long time ago :)

In elementary school I read a Wrinkle in time and ever since I've been shamefully addicted to books. Now in my mid 50's my love of books has continually grown.

Mummy's Naughty Corner (mummysnaughtycorner) I used to read as a child but stopped for many years. When I became a stay at home mum I needed something to do so my husband brought me a kindle and I started reading. I read every second I could and even started up a blog. A few years later and I couldn't pick up a book again. Everything bored me and I really struggled. i stopped blogging. Last year I got a better job and had time to myself again. I've started reading but have decided to read what I want and not what is popular. I'm really enjoying it again and finding so many gems.

message 17: by JJ (new)

JJ Coetzer (yennorks) | 4 comments Fell in love with books in primary school, first grade.
Back then the teacher gave everyone a book each week to read and after the first week of reading, I would bring a book back every day or two asking for a new book to read. I was hooked. Realised that there is an entirely different world out there that one can visit, where there is magic, dragons, goblins, etc. an amazing place that sounded a whole lot better than the present world.

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 6 comments Mummy's Naughty Corner wrote: "I used to read as a child but stopped for many years. When I became a stay at home mum I needed something to do so my husband brought me a kindle and I started reading. I read every second I could ..."

I agree with you reading what you want and not what is popular. I have been ask to join numerous book clubs over the years and I always decline. There are so many books I WANT to read that I don't want to waste time on something that I have to push my self to pick up. Reading is a escape for me from everything.

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Zimcosky | 1 comments I started reading earnestly in elementary school. My mom made us join the summer reading club at the local library. I still have my certificate for completing so many books.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura Wolf | 1 comments I was 14. It was the year Salem's lot by Steven King was published. I got it from the Library. My mother was kind of shocked I was reading it. but I read it in 2 evenings after school. I haven't stopped since!

message 21: by Deb (new)

Deb (otherdeb) | 3 comments Fell in love with reading as I was learning to sound out letters and recognize them on a page. Must have been about 3 or 4 at the time, becauseI was reading well above grade level by the time I started school.