Neja's Book Club discussion

Horror > Horror books

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Summer (new)

Summer (summer654) | 81 comments Mod
What are your favorite Horror books?

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I've read horror for over forty years, so I've hit almost all the big horror books during that time.

My tastes run more towards supernatural or psychological horror; I enjoy books about hauntings or creatures from legend. Lately the horror genre has been dominated by serial killer/hillbilly cannibal/psycho clown stalker/teenage slasher movie themes. To be honest, steaming piles of guts and mangled body parts just don't scare me.

My top rated horror books include:
Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon
Curfew by Phil Rickman
House of Small Shadows by AdamNevill
The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons
Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
Darkness Demands by Simon Clark
Ghost Story and Julia by Peter Straub
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
The Ceremonies and Dark Gods by T.E.D. Klein

message 3: by Luke (last edited Apr 26, 2019 08:14AM) (new)

Luke | 3 comments Cosmic horror is where it's at, in my opinion. Songs of a Dead Dreamer/Grimscribe, and Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti are some of my favorite collections of short stories. Pretty much anything by H.P. Lovecraft and Poe as well.

For novels, I love King's IT. Then there's Child of God, which is Cormac McCarthy's stab at horror, and it is truly something to behold. In fact I think one could make the argument that McCarthy's masterpiece, Blood Meridian, is horror as well, with Judge Holden being one of the most terrifying villains of all time. Off Season by Jack Ketchum is another great horror novel, more in line with popular horror.