Middle Grade Madness! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
August MG Reading Challenge 2019 > August MG Reading Challenge Info

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kadi, Creator (last edited Aug 02, 2019 02:03PM) (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 2490 comments Mod

A month-long, team-based reading challenge involving ONLY middle-grade books.
(Sign up link below)

*Books read towards the TBR Challenge count towards this challenge too*

The Rules:
- Each team has 1 month to try and complete as many tasks as possible.
- 1 book can fulfil 1 task ONLY.
- 1 task is worth 1 point.
- There are 49 tasks with 7 tasks grouped into 7 different categories.
- Both tasks and categories can be completed in ANY order they like.
- There are 5 bonus points for each category completed.
- The team with the most points at the end of the month wins!

An example of tasks from the category “Holiday”
1. Read a book with the word “Summer” in the title.
2. Read a book where the protagonist gets lost.

The Bonus Tasks:
- There are 5 bonus tasks to be released on 15 August.
- Each bonus task is worth 5 points and completing all 5 bonus tasks is worth an extra 10 points.

WHAT COUNTS AS A MIDDLE GRADE BOOK:
- Must be more than 100 pages long.
- Must be categorised as MG+ or MG on this website: https://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx
If it says LG or UG it DOESN’T COUNT.
*For audio books*: The print edition must be more than 100 pages long.
*For graphic novels*: must be more than 150 pages long.
- Only books started on/after 1st August count!

The Teams:
- Each team has 4 team members (subject to change depending on number of sign ups)
- Each team must have 1 Captain responsible for the tracking of the team.
- Each member must create a GR shelf called “mg challenge 2019” or “middle-grade challenge 2019” or some other variation and place all books they read for the challenge in that shelf.
- Teams are allocated not chosen and depend on the amount of time people have to read.
- Please make sure you all communicate and have fun!
- If you have any questions please ask your Captain who can then ask us.

Captain's responsibilities:
- Only Captains can edit their team's spreadsheet.
- Captain's are in charge of organising which book is applied to which task within their team.
- Captain's should make sure that the info their members give them is correct, i.e. checking their members GR challenge shelves to see when they started and finished the book, and checking the book counts as MG.
- Captain's will be in charge of relaying info between the moderators and their team members.

*A word of advice:*
There are tons of tasks to complete. At first it will be easy to read whatever MG book you like and then apply it to a task that it fulfils.
After a while, when the tasks are harder, it may be smarter to pick a book that can specifically fulfil one task.
This is just an idea... it's up to every team and their Captain to decide their strategy.

If you have any questions please ask below!! You should receive a message by 19th July to announce the team allocations. Please make sure you check in with your team Captain before 27th July otherwise you may be replaced or removed.

message 2: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Seems, fun. I'm interested. Does everyone in this group have to participate, or just those who would like to?

message 3: by Kadi, Creator (last edited Jun 27, 2019 08:52AM) (new)

Teams will be announced on 19th July 2019!

message 4: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Zaiyah wrote: "Seems, fun. I'm interested. Does everyone in this group have to participate, or just those who would like to?"

It's totally up to you it's definitely not mandatory! You don't even have to be a member of the group to participate either although it would probably be nicer if you were😂

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jones | 8 comments This sounds fun!!!

message 6: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments OH MY GOSHHH! I want to do this sooo bad. Can't wait!

message 7: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Troy_Reads wrote: "OH MY GOSHHH! I want to do this sooo bad. Can't wait!"

Me toooo! I’m creating the tasks and it should be really... interesting😂😂 I have to keep reminding myself to not make it impossible.

message 8: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments I like interesting! And sometimes tasks that you think are impossible will be quite easy for some. And more fun in general.

message 9: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments This sounds like fun!
I have a question - when you say the captain is in charge of organizing which book is applied to which task, does that mean the captain is choosing which books are being read or just applying them to the specific category when a team member chooses the book to read?

message 10: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Good q Jessica. It’s a bit of both really.
Because there are 2 ways tasks will be completed:
1. A team member will read any book and try to apply it to a task.
2. A team member will read a book to complete a specific task.

Thus the Captain can both assign a team member to read a book they know will fit into a certain task and can also fill in the spreadsheet with the book that a team member chose to read to specifically fill in a certain task.

message 11: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments Kadi wrote: "Good q Jessica. It’s a bit of both really.
Because there are 2 ways tasks will be completed:
1. A team member will read any book and try to apply it to a task.
2. A team member will read a book to ..."

That makes sense! Sounds good.

message 12: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Phew! I’m glad it makes sense because for a second I confused myself😂 I’ll add the info I just gave you to the top so it makes more sense for newcomers.

message 13: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Thank you! You are SO good at coming up with things to do! This is the group I'm most active in because there are things I actually want to do!

message 14: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Aaaw thanks Zaiyah! That actually means a lot because I wasn’t sure if people would want to participate in all the activities I wanted to set up. I started this group because I wanted to do all these activities but no group on GR I had found did them. And it’s so great connecting and talking with people. My interactions on GR have pretty much tripled since I started the group and that’s just the best.

message 15: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) YES! You are the absolute BEST!

message 16: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 375 comments Yes I really like this group!! I’m so excited for all the things we are doing!

message 17: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Zaiyah, Ilsen: YOU. GUYS. ARE. AWESOME.❤️ Thanks for making my day😊😊

message 18: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 375 comments Awwww you’re welcome!!

message 19: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) My pleasure!

message 20: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) How long does this challenge last?

message 21: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) As long as we dont have to go buy any books, sounds fun! My library here sucks!

message 22: by Kadi, Creator (new)

You definitely don’t need to buy any books! You can use whatever books you have as long as they are middle grade and fulfils a task.
And it lasts all month! But there’s no requirement on how much you have to read you can take your time and read at your own speed.

message 23: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) If we signed up earlier, do we have to do it again?

message 24: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Nope! No need to sign up again.
We have about 9 sign ups so far. Hoping for a few more because I wanted at least 3 or 4 teams (the more competition the better it is) so if you guys can rope in some friends that would be great :)

Dana Storytime Account I'll sign up, but I'm not positive how quickly I'll be able to get books read.

message 26: by Kadi, Creator (new)

That’s ok! Read as much as you can! I imagine I won’t read more than 6 or 7 books. I’m going to look for a couple of short books that are like 100 or 150 pages round about that can help me read more books. I’ll share them before the challenge starts!

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hufflepugtato) | 106 comments Will we know the tasks before the challenge starts?

message 28: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Will we know the tasks before the challenge starts?"

Unfortunately not. They'll be revealed on the first day. Makes it more fun that way!

message 29: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 375 comments Oh really? Damn that makes it really hard because I don’t have that many middle grade :(

message 30: by Kadi, Creator (new)

I hadn’t actually thought of that. Ok how about this: I’ll reveal 3 tasks from each category. That way some of it is still a surprise but you can also start preparing for what books to get from the library, etc. I’ll use a random selector to choose which 3 from every category is revealed. And I’ll announce those revealed tasks when the team topics are set up on the 19th. Does that sound good?

message 31: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 375 comments Yes that sounds good!

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hufflepugtato) | 106 comments Kadi wrote: "I hadn’t actually thought of that. Ok how about this: I’ll reveal 3 tasks from each category. That way some of it is still a surprise but you can also start preparing for what books to get from the..."

That sounds fun!

message 33: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Great!

message 34: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Kadi wrote: "Nope! No need to sign up again.
We have about 9 sign ups so far. Hoping for a few more because I wanted at least 3 or 4 teams (the more competition the better it is) so if you guys can rope in some..."

Thanks! Sorry, I was on vacation, and only got onto GR once, but I'm back now!

I'll see if my friends want to join the group, and if not, at the very least do the competition.

message 35: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Yay ok thanks Zaiyah!

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace (gyoung05) | 27 comments Just curious how many people have signed up as wanting to be team captains? I am interested in signing up, and I just thought that if you didn't have enough people interested, then I would sign up for team captain.

message 37: by Kadi, Creator (new)

So far 12 people have signed up so that’ll most likely be 3 teams of 4 people but only 2 people (myself included) have said they’d like to be a team captain. So, if you wanted to be a team captain that would be really nice of you, and super fun for you no doubt😂

message 38: by Grace (new)

Grace (gyoung05) | 27 comments Just signed up! Super excited 😁

message 39: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Me too, Grace, me too!!🎉🎉 not long now...

message 40: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments Ahhh, super excited to start. Thanks so much, Kadi, for creating this. It will be super fun!

message 41: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments Wait, so how are we supposed to see other teams scores if their spreadsheets are private? Or are we not allowed to see their scores?

message 42: by Kadi, Creator (new)

You’re welcome Troy😊😊 I cant wait to get started ALREADY. I’m making a points spreadsheet which will be viewable for all. Going to make a new topic page called points and put a link in there.

message 43: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments Oh, awesome! Thanks again.

message 44: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments Oh, and one more question, but I don't see 49 tasks. Do they start to show up later or is there coding that makes the other tasks show up? Or are there only going to be 3 tasks per category? Sorry, was just wondering.

message 45: by Kadi, Creator (new)

So I just posted 3 tasks for each category for now to give everyone an idea of what they’ll be like and so people can be prepared if they need to get library books and what not.
The rest of the tasks will be shown on the spreadsheet on August 1st when the challenge starts.

message 46: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments Ohhhhhh okay! Sounds great.

message 47: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Yesss. And if you have any more qs feel free to ask here no problem😊 or you can have your captain ask for you on the captains chat👍🏻

message 48: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Ugh, I'm going to die. But also have SO much fun! You know that feeling?

message 49: by Kadi, Creator (new)

😂😂Yes! I think it’s called living but I might be wrong😂 I cannot wait to start this challenge. I haven’t read an actual book in a month!! The situation has become dire and this is exactly what I need to force myself to get back into reading!

message 50: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads | 118 comments Me too, Kadi! I have read NOTHING and am exciting to start again.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.