Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Weekly Checkins > Week 15: 4/4 - 4/11

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nadine (last edited Apr 11, 2019 04:37AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5333 comments Mod
Week 15: 4/4 - 4/11

Wow where did the time go?? Early Crocuses are in full bloom now, no sign of daffodils yet; it snowed again yesterday, and probably tomorrow too. My older daughter just got her driver's permit! And she wants ME to teach her to drive! Yikes! Will my trusty VW make it through this adventure unscathed?? We took a few spins around the empty high school parking lot yesterday evening!

Admin stuff: Our April read of The Witch Elm is on-going, lots of good discussion already! and books for the third quarter have been chosen. Send a DM if you are interested in leading discussion for August (The Wife Between Us) or September (A Discovery of Witches).

Last week I had a bunch of books in progress, which means I finished a bunch of books this week, and I still have a bunch in progress too. I finished 6 books this week, 3 for this Challenge, so I am now 34/50.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid - this was not as great as I thought it would be. I decided to move some books around and use this for "clothing on cover."

The Old Drift by Namwali Serpell - wow this was long and detailed. If you love long, detailed, multi-generation sagas that are also genre blenders, you will love this. It was memorable, but longer than I like. I'm using this for multi-generation saga, but that's an AtY category.

When My Brother Was an Aztec poems by Natalie Díaz - A year or two ago, while reading Ada Limon, I found a poetry "conversation" between Ada Limon and Natalie Diaz (I think it was in The New Yorker), and that got me interested in Diaz. But the poems in this book don't really "speak" to me as well, Diaz uses a lot of imagery, and she had a lot of pain to work out around her brother's drug addiction, but that's not what I was looking for.

Jane - a graphic novel modern-day retelling of Jane Eyre written by Aline Brosh McKenna, with Jane as a graphic design student n NYC, and Rochester as the abusive rich guy. I'm not the biggest fan of Jane Eyre to begin with, and this comic managed to remove the things I do like about JE, so that it was ... sort of a 50 Shades without the bondage. I've seen Die Hard movies with more in depth characterization than this graphic novel had. This was my "retelling of a classic."

The Mothers by Brit Bennett - I enjoyed this, but the character motivations weren't completely believable, and the ending kind of fizzled out. It was 4 stars worth of enjoyment, though!

The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl & Agnete Friis - this was a little choppy and illogical at times, but I'm glad I read it, and I'll continue with the series. This was my book "set in Scandinavia." (Obviously it would also work for "two women authors.")

I just started a 28 hour long audiobook, Death's End, so wish me luck on that!! I probably won't be able to finish it in the 21 day loan period, so I hope I can renew (but I think there will be holds on it). (It's not for the Challenge, but it would work for "author from Asia.")

Question of the Week:
Do you think about writing a review while you're reading?

I do! I keep a draft version of my review on my phone, and I jot down quotes and notes as they pop into my head while I read.

message 2: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 144 comments I finished 4 books this week. Internment (not for challenge) is YA and sadly all too believable. Ali and Nino.:A Love Story (has love in the title)is a little known gem set in Azerbaijan that, among other things highlighted the difficulties of a cross-cultural relationship, something I have a personal interest in. I also finished Warcross, which seems to have been popular pick for the LIt RPG category. This morning I finished Circe (inspired by a myth) and was surprised by how much I could identify with her.

Nadine, you have my sympathy with having to teach your daughter to drive. I taught all four of my kids. There were no disasters but I was so pleased and relieved when my youngest passed her test and I realised I never had to teach anyone else to drive ever again. It was my least favourite parenting task by far.

QoTW. I don’t plan by reviews while reading. But I plan to start doing so. Often I’ll think of something witty or insightful while reading but of course I can never remember it when it comes it writing a review. And I still haven’t worked out why I’m writing the review - for my benefit or the benefit of whoever ends up reading it. I’ll try keeping notes as I go for a few books and see if that works better than my current “finish the book and throw out whatever words pop into my head at the time” approach.

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments I think this time of year is neck-&-neck with Christmas as my favourite. In Scotland, our best weather is April-June. This week we've had blue skies, and we've been to see the lambies at the local farm-shop. Amazing, and almost enough to detract from the fact that I am getting my butt kicked by a virus which is making me deaf in one ear, and full of snot. Sexy, I know.

Anyways, books! Thanks to Dewey's 24 hour readathon, I finished two books over the weekend, and I'm part way through two more. Both of the finished ones were for PS so I'm now 21/55 (16/45, 5/10)!

First book was for prompt #37 two-word title, and I went for Answer Me by Susanna Tamaro. This is a collection of stories which is pretty harrowing, I don't think there is a ray of sunshine in any of them. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Each story hooked me in with its rich telling and I felt for each of the protagonists (or, for those around them). These stories explore the line between love and hate, betrayals by those meant to love us, of the darkness of men and the complexities of motherhood. They touched me deeply, and the sadness of them has stuck with me. Sometimes, that's just as important as stories that lift you.

My second book was for prompt #33 zodiac sign or astrology term in the title. I went for Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan, because fire signs are a thing (apparently, I'm not huge on zodiac stuff). To me, this is very much a book of contrasts. I found Cahalan's decent into illness to be fascinating and at times quite an uncomfortable read, but once her journey switches to the upswing of recovery this book reads more like a non-fiction on brain disorders. While in the first half of the book, you can feel the confusion and fear of both Cahalan and her family, the recovery stage seems to be more emotionally removed. Considering that this is the element of her journey that she remembers more, it's odd that this sparseness is the case. Possibly it was too raw for her to write about, and it could be argued that maybe this book would have benefitted from the passage of time before completing it. But I do think it was important to raise awareness of the illness that caused this scary journey, so I can see why there wasn't that space. Still, as this book also doesn't give us much of an idea of who Cahalan was before her illness either, it makes it hard to connect to her or to see just how big an impact this has had on who she was/is. If you approach this as a non-fic rather than a memoir though, then it is a strong book. Cahalan pulls from her journalism career to research not only her own case but the wider context of mental disorders and the specific autoimmune disease that caused her illness. It's terrifying how your body can turn on you and malfunction in such a way. The medical science is approached in a very accessible way in this book, which can't be easy for something so complex and relatively obscure. This book wasn't what I expected, but I still enjoyed it...and am a bit scared of my own brain now.

I notice that I always say more about books I didn't love. I find it hard to gush when I've enjoyed a book. I wonder what that says about me...?

QOTW - Do you think about writing a review while you're reading?

I love reviewing my reads (as if that isn't obvious), but I don't labour over them. I'd love to be one of these reviewers who really analyses the book, and throws in GIFs, and references other books, and probably does jazz hands and juggling...but I just kind of brain dump. Obviously as I'm reading I'll be like "oh, I should mention that in my review" but my head is like a sieve so often those nuggets have rinsed away by the time it actually comes for me to write. My reviews are more for me, because that sieve-brain also means I never remember the details of books, or even whether I liked them or not. I like to share my thoughts, but they certainly aren't polished. Maybe if I thought more as I was reading (and used a notebook to compensate for my brain fails), that would make them better!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Hann | 180 comments I am at 40/50.

This week I finished:
Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography: A choose your own adventure book. I made it through this one really quickly, because of my untimely death.

Currently reading:
I've hit a wall and I can't decide. The closer I get to the end of the challenge, the less excited I am about the 9 books I have left. I really don't want to take a break from the challenge, but I might have to read something else for a while. I've been reading TV recaps the last few days to chill out.

Question of the Week:

I think I do. Writing reviews is a new thing for me this year, since this is my first challenge. I think I think about it more when I've read other people's reviews, especially when I don't agree with them.

message 5: by SadieReadsAgain (last edited Apr 11, 2019 04:04AM) (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Oooh Nadine, good luck! I hope I never have to teach my kids to drive (my parents avoided that with both me and my brother)...but with the price of lessons etc, I probably will have to step up. My husband helped me to learn, but we were very much in the honeymoon stages - I think if we had to do that now, there would be a lot of arguments! He did teach my step daughter a little too, but not in our own car. Here you can hire insured, dual-control cars, so at least there's that.

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments My hayfever was terrible at the weekend, so I didn't do as much of Dewey's Readathon as I wanted. However I did get through plenty of books this week.

Finished:
Other Words for Smoke for the bookstagram tour. I absolutely loved this, beautiful and creepy. Using it for published in 2019.

Be Prepared for my Herbology O.W.L. I need to get a bit more organised with Magical Readathon as I've currently only got the required reading for a career as Aurologist, which is not what I want! This was an adorable graphic novel about US Russian summer camp.

Dry for the second book of 2 books with the same title (paired with The Dry). I liked the focus on how much we rely on water and how much we take it for granted. Gripping and enjoyable, even if I thought some of the timeline was off. Also using for my Arithmancy O.W.L.

The Art of Racing in the Rain for a book becoming a movie this year. I could have done without the false rape accusation storyline. Really, a 15 year old seductress ruining the life of a grown man? That's the angle you want to go with? The dog's perspective meant this wasn't handled with the delicacy it needed (and I wouldn't have read it if I'd known that was the plot). I liked some of Enzo's ponderings though so it at least got 2 stars and I've ticked off one of my difficult prompts.

The One Hundred Nights of Hero for ATY (number in the title). This graphic novel is a take on 1001 Arabian Nights, set in Isabel's Early Earth where women aren't allowed to read or write. I enjoyed the dark humour and will definitely read more of her work.

Last Ones Left Alive for ATY (monster) and my Divination O.W.L. I enjoyed this Irish zombie story focused on a girl who has just lost her family and is on a mission to cross hazardous Ireland in search for a city she has only seen in posters.

Currently reading The Devouring Gray for review.

And currently listening to They Both Die at the End for a story set over a single day.

PS: 22/52 | ATY: 21/52 | GR: 43/100

QOTW:
It's helpful if I do, but there are some books I'm too absorbed by and then I get to writing my review and my mind goes blank! I'm more likely to think about my review whilst actually reading when something is annoying me.

I used to review everything I read but this year I've been pretty lax. I think I should make myself write down more though because reviewing helps me remember books better (or at least I can read my review in the future).

message 7: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 822 comments Hello from a sunny Netherlands!

The last week has been strange. I'm not sure what it was, but it still feels weird now. I'm nervous for tomorrow morning (starting my new volunteering job at the kiddy farm and it's super early for me) and Saturday (extremely early morning to drive across the country to walk 15km) and terrified I'll sleep terribly, even though I'm already exhausted. We'll see how it goes!

Oh and I dropped my iPhone in the water bowl of two of my bunnies last night and now my camera has water in it. Joy all around!

I am still loving the Magical Readathon, however, and Ravenclaw is in the lead! We've all (not just the claws) collectively read 1.357.182 pages and 4177 books already and it's only day 11!

Read
The Illustrated Animal Farm, not for any challenges but I might try to fit it in Back to the Classics. Read this during Dewey's Readathon. Love this book still, and I really loved the illustrations!

Dageraad (Dawn) also not for a challenge, but it is a Backlist book, as I want to read all the Warrior Cats books! Really loved this one and got the next one from the library yesterday. This is my book for the Care of Magical Creatures OWL. (the 4th ones works for Astronomy but I've got another book slotted so we'll see what happens)

Wildcard on audio, not for any challenges but I just wanted to read the sequel! This was my book for the Potions OWL. I really enjoyed it. Read it during Dewey's/Magical All Nighter.

Autisme in het nest: interviews over opgroeien met een vader of moeder met autisme (Autism in the nest: Interviews about growing up with a father or mother with autism). Not for a challenge, though it could work for one of my OWLs. This was a difficult read, and my review reflected that I think. I read this during Dewey's/Magical All Nighter.

Currently reading
(GR says 9. save me. I'll only mention the ones I am actually currently reading and not currently on hold)

Wicked Saints- still, you say? Yes, still, but I am finally making good progress! I'm over halfway done and still loving it! Might use it for monstrous character for ATY, don't think I have anything there yet (and if it's Dracula, ohwell. xD)

Once & Future not for a prompt yet, but it might just bump other books off their planned prompts because it works for a lot! It is my Transfiguration OWL book, and I am buddy reading it with 4 other students! Really enjoying this (and the discussion) so far- Merlin is an absolute favorite! The writing is basic (which I prefer) and the diversity is beautiful. We're scheduled to finish it on Sunday, so watch out next week for my full opinion haha!

Pieces of Happiness: A Novel of Friendship, Hope and Chocolate not plant on the cover, and it is my Herbology OWL book. The Dutch cover is covered in flowers (Momenten van geluk) but luckily the audioversion has a flower too! Really getting through my library books and it feels great! Only 22% in so far, but liking it. Average rating isn't too high so we'll see how it goes. There are people in it who are born and raised on Fiji, would that count as indigenous? There There is really not working for me.

Drie dingen over Elsie (Three Things About Elsie) for my Charms OWL. I am reading a lot of elderly characters this year, and I love it. Only 26 pages or so into this, but when Once & Future is finished I'm picking it back up in earnest. And if the print version isn't working for me, the audio is on Storytel :D.

QOTW
Yes and no. I keep ratings in my head as I read sometimes, but rarely ever jot down notes. I find it pulls me out of the story too much. When I'm not reading it however, I find myself writing entire reviews in my head even if I haven't finished it yet. Ironically my eventually written reviews never resemble those mind ones xD

message 8: by Brandy (last edited Apr 11, 2019 04:20AM) (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 258 comments I've been in a reading slump. Didn't check in last week so this is two weeks.

This week: Lost by Gregory Maguire Pieces of A Christmas Carol (A book I GENUINELY love and read almost every year since sixth grade), Peter Pan, and Jack the Ripper. Two things I enjoy. I should have loved this. I did not. references are made to each of these things but not in any way that isn't superficial. There just wasn't much here. I wanted to love it. It was meh.

Last week: Continuing on my quest to read all of NPR's top graphic novels of last year Eternity Girl by Magdalene Visaggio I read this last thursday? I have genuinely no recollection of it. Looking at the cover inspires no memories. I couldn't even hint at it. I'm going to check it out from the library again just to see if it was that unmemorable or if I was just half asleep or something when I encountered this work.

Next on the graphic novel quest: Be Prepared by Vera Brosgol about a girl going to and mostly hating russian summer camp. It is delightful.

QOTW Clearly not in the case of Eternity Girl. But sometimes, yes, although I always give a bit between when I finish a book and when I review it because I want to see how its settled if I have the same feelings as when it was fresh.

message 9: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 822 comments Parents aren't allowed to teach their children how to drive over here, so we're all forced to shell out for lessons. This is why I don't have a license yet. It's too expensive.

And same on positive and negative reviews! It's so much easier to pick out things you didn't like than things you loved! Even in positive reviews I sometimes end on a tangent of things that were wrong or that I didn't like haha! Woops.

And yay another student! I'm going for Magizoologist, but I want to get an Outstanding at least, and preferably all 12 books read. If I finish my Herbology and Charms reads I got my required reading done, so I should be good career wise :)

message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 669 comments I finished Gold Fame Citrus for my cli-fi book. I didn't like it, but I think it was actually a good book. It's just not my thing and I hope that category never appears again.

I read Everything I Never Told You as my "own voices" book. This one I loved.

I am currently reading The Sweet Hereafteras my book with spicy, sweet, bitter, or salty in the title. I think I like it. Hopefully I'll know for sure when I finish.

QOTW: No, I don't. But, then again, my reviews are nothing to write home about in the first place.

message 11: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 669 comments Carmen wrote: "Parents aren't allowed to teach their children how to drive over here, so we're all forced to shell out for lessons. This is why I don't have a license yet. It's too expensive.

And same on positiv..."

I wish my parents hadn't been allowed to teach me to drive. It always ended in yelling and tears and I didn't get my license until a week before my 21st birthday. But, to be fair, driver's ed didn't go particularly well either, so it was probably just me.

message 12: by El (new)

El | 170 comments 27/50

Finished:
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for a book with a plant in the title or on the cover.

Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie. Not for the challenge.

We Are Displaced by Malala Yousafzai. Not for the challenge.

Currently reading:
No Place Like Home

QOTW:
No, I don't.

message 13: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5333 comments Mod
We do have Drivers Ed here, but it is expensive, and in the evenings, and my daughter didn't want to do it. I checked w/ my insurance company, and the discount we would get on our insurance (added up over all the years she would be covered by my insurance) is roughly equivalent to the cost of the course. So, that, combined with her STRONG desire to not take the class (because she didn't want one more thing scheduling her evenings), we decided to try it on our own. Yesterday went well! It was actually kind of fun!! I confess to frantically gripping the door handle a few times, but we kept our cool ;-)

And YES to all of you who say it's easier to review a book you didn't like than a book you love!! YESSSSSS If I really REALLY love a book, I have no idea what to say about it.

message 14: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 822 comments Here the idea is that if parents teach you how to drive, they teach you their way of driving, even if unintentionally, so they don't allow it.

message 15: by SadieReadsAgain (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Carmen wrote: "Here the idea is that if parents teach you how to drive, they teach you their way of driving, even if unintentionally, so they don't allow it."

100% this. Even if we do teach the kids, like with my step-daughter we'll make sure that they do some instructor lessons too. Our driving tests here in the UK are pretty strict, but there are some horrible drivers out there so obviously things still slip through the cracks (or bad habits are picked up). The less of that passed on the better!

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie | 172 comments Hi everyone!

No finishes for me this week. I've been fighting the stomach flu since the weekend (apparently the one going around here is lasting 10 days to 2 weeks for some) and I haven't been able to concentrate on much. But it's getting better. While I was sick I had a whole bunch of holds come in, so I'll have to get back to normal reading progress!

@Nadine - I too understand the challenges of teaching kids how to drive, hope all goes well! I taught my younger sister, and now am teaching my niece because her family is afraid to do it. I have to admit, I'm a bit chicken myself, but so far we're all still in one piece ;)

Currently I'm just reading Warcross, which I'm really enjoying.

QOTW:
I don't, but that's probably because I don't usually review books unless it's a giveaway (especially an ARC - those I feel deserve reviews as the author is often looking for feedback on those early copies). It's funny, I think the only reason I don't review books is because I feel like I'm absolutely terrible at writing reviews. My background is originally in science/medicine/academia, and I can write super dry research papers that will put you to sleep, but interesting book reviews that clearly and accurately articulate my thoughts on a book? Not so much. Though I love good book discussions with family and friends.

To those who mentioned they like writing reviews of books they dislike more than books they love: there have been studies done that showed people are much more likely to speak out, write reviews, or give some sort of feedback about negative or less satisfying experiences, than they are about really good ones. It was something like only 1 in 10 people will leave a positive review or feedback if they enjoyed an experience, but it may have been as many as 8/10 people who would leave feedback if they had a negative or dissatisfying experience. Those are rough estimates based on memory so I could be off on my numbers. But I do remember there being a pretty large discrepancy. I can't remember the reasons in the studies; but I do know that a couple of them used those stats to point out that online review sites were often skewed in favor of negative experiences. Not sure if it would apply to the Goodreads community specifically, since reviewing books may be different than consumer experiences, but I have wondered.

message 17: by SadieReadsAgain (last edited Apr 11, 2019 05:19AM) (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Good to know we're not just grouchy - seems to be human nature to need to express negative reactions. Maybe it's a cleansing sort of thing, or the need to warn others where there may be danger!

message 18: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments I still haven't learned to drive at 37. I was never all that interested in it and lessons were so expensive. Now I think it might be useful to at least know how but the tests have got so hard in the meantime, I don't want to shell out thousands only to fail. And I am pretty scared of the whole thing now, there are a lot of dreadful drivers around and I'm more aware of my mortality. I think you have to learn young due to that fearlessness you have!

My partner has said he'll put me on his insurance and I can have a go, even just in an empty car park. I'd rather try with him in the passenger seat than pay for a lesson and having a panic attack with a stranger and wasting my money!

message 19: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 669 comments Carmen wrote: "Here the idea is that if parents teach you how to drive, they teach you their way of driving, even if unintentionally, so they don't allow it."

You're not allowed to teach your kids here to drive until their 15, but I know kids that have been behind the wheel since 13. So, I'm sure where you are parents are teaching their kids how to drive, allowed or not.

message 20: by Anne (new)

Anne Serendipity wrote: "I finished 4 books this week. Internment (not for challenge) is YA and sadly all too believable. Ali and Nino.:A Love Story (has love in the title)is a little known gem set in Azerbaijan that, amon..."

I have Ali and Nino on my list for this year for Love - so glad to hear a positive review!!

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne Happy Thursday!

23/50

Argh! My library hold for The Witch Elm hasn't arrived yet. I think I'll be reading it in May. :(

Completed:

The fastest read I’ve had this year was The House on Mango Street. This seems to be a book you either love or find trite. The language style was that of a young girl and I was unable to enjoy the voice of the novella.

31.) My family read is Orhan's Inheritance by Aline Ohanesian which takes place in Turkey, Armenia, and California. A grandfather bequests his estate to his grandson, breaking protocol of giving it to his son, and more shockingly gives his house to a woman no one has ever heard of! I loved this book.

All-American Murder: The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez, the Superstar Whose Life Ended on Murderers' Row by James Patterson is a biography on Aaron Hernandez. It paints a pretty grimy view of college football and the NFL. It was tough for this Patriots fan to take, but it did reaffirm my Tim Tebow love.

In Progress:
The Pope's Last Crusade: How an American Jesuit Helped Pope Pius XI's Campaign to Stop Hitler by Peter Eisner tells the story of Pope Pius XI fighting Hitler.

A Killer Plot by Ellery Adams is a reprieve from some serious reading – Jewish concentration camps and Armenian genocide…

DNF
38) Based on a true story, I’ve stopped reading Lady Colin Campbell’s Empress Bianca, that resulted in a slander lawsuit from a Lily Safra’s team of attorneys. The drama around the book is a bit more compelling than the prose though.
After three weeks in the first 4 chapters, I think it’s time to put it aside.

QOTW Review

I have a word doc, honestly called Happy Thursday, that I update as the week goes on.

message 22: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 541 comments Busy week here in sometimes warm/ sometimes freezing upstate NY. My baby girl turned 1 yesterday!! I can't believe it's been a year already! So I'm 15 years away from driving lessons, lol! But I will say that when I was pregnant, that was something I looked forward to teacher her how to do. It will probably be different when I'm actually staring it down the barrel! When I was a teen, I could have cared less about getting my license, but now I hate being a passenger.

I also finished a book this week! Yay for finishing, not so much for the book... The River Wife If you like melodramatic soap operas with lots of plot holes, things left unsaid and inconsistent characters, then this book is for you! I used it for the book about a family as it is about several generations of the same family and the land they love.

I'm listening to Bless Me, Ultima in the car for a book I saw someone reading (PBS Great American Read). Slowly picking my way through The Witch Elm for the group read (though I may have to return it before I get very far). This weekend I plan to start Corelli's Mandolin as a buddy read with a friend, I haven't even thought if/where it might fit.

QOTW: I do think about my reviews as I'm reading. I don't always remember what I was going to say when I actually get down to writing them. I also don't know who my audience is, me or others. I try to write enough in my review that I can go back and read it and remember the book well enough to remember what I liked or disliked about it. Sometimes I frustrate myself! I try to be even-handed whether I loved a book or disliked it as far as what I write in a review and how long I go on about it. But disliked books are easier to write about (see above- ha!) :)

message 23: by Fannie (last edited Apr 11, 2019 05:52AM) (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Bonjour,

We had quite a week so far. Monday we had freezing rain and then lost power for 48 hours. It was freezing cold at my place so we went to sleep at my parent's house. I thought it would result in having more free time to read but no. We also had a mini snowstorm Tuesday. I can honestly say that I can't wait for spring now.

Good luck with teaching your daughter to drive Nadine. My dad did it with the three of us and it went mostly fine. Except when we switched to manual.

Book read:

Insurgent to continue the conversation with my son.

Currently reading:
Gemina. I wasn't a big fan of the first one, but I like this one better so far.

QOTW: I usually don't review my books, Only rate them.

message 24: by Libby (new)

Libby | 20 comments I feel like all I've done this week is READ but its again lots of articles/extracts for uni stuff, and very little pleasure reading.

One delightful book I did read (ostensibly for uni, but definitely a fun/enjoyable/would've-read-anyway) read was The Pleasure of the Text by Roland Barthes. It's theory, but in this really tender way where you can tell that he just really loves lit as well as being incredibly smart. It's a great book (also fits for #46, with uncommon chapters, and possibly #8if your hobby is ... reading? reading erotica? thinking about sex?).

I also reread Normal People this week - I think it's just been released in the US? Definitely recommend this one, and her previous book too.

Still getting through How Long 'til Black Future Month? slowly on my metro journeys & also reading some Muriel Spark.

I'm really excited for my preorder of Murmur too!

QOTW: not really! I don't write particularly good reviews on GR in all honesty. I sometimes read with a pen in hand and scribble in my books/making notes on the blank pages at the end, but thats usually only if I'm reading a text that I'm using for an essay.

message 25: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 289 comments Hello from Columbus! Another lovely spring week where I was picking other things over books. Parks, ice cream, American Gods, playing The Weeknd on repeat for some reason lol

The Wedding Date for popsugar’s wedding prompt. I’d seen this recommended here, but sadly I did not like this book at all. And that’s quite a rare thing for me to say, I almost never outright dislike a book. This could have been a cute story, I liked the premise fine but I didn’t realize it was going to be so sexually driven. I uh, didn’t need those images in my head haha. I could have gotten over that by skimming, but I didn’t really like the characters either. I spend the entire time wondering if people are actually like that in real life, because they were exhausting. I did like that the issues interracial couples can face was addressed, but that was honestly about it.

The Story of a New Name - Squeezed this into the popsugar prompt “a book about a family” prompt. It’s more about two friends but it also involves marriages and familial relationships so whatever, I wanted to read it and I’m making it work lol. This is the sequel to My Brilliant Friend, and takes place immediately after where the first book ends. I love this author’s writing style, and her depictions of poor, working class Italians after WWII and beyond. It’s not a topic I think I’ve ever read about before, and for a reason I can’t quite put my finger on, I’m so in love with this story. The characters aren’t exactly likable and it isn’t very cheerful but the writing is like eating a decadent dessert. It’s just so good, I can’t wait to get to the third book.

I’m at 21/40 and 1/10 for popsugar, 4/24 for book riot, 1/12 for back to the classics, and 7/37 for the marisha pessl challenge. 51 books read this year.

message 26: by Libby (new)

Libby | 20 comments also, Nadine - good luck! I'm finally going to learn to drive when I'm back in the UK this summer/autumn and my dad has refused to teach me because he knows I would instantly revert to my teenage ways and get in a strop with him.

message 27: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 610 comments So… I’m still struggling to write a novel. And instead of finishing the second draft of my fantasy novel I’ve picked up an idea for a different novel and have actually written an outline out for it (I normally just fly by the seat of my pants when I write, so this is new, heh…). Now to get started on the first draft…

Books read this week:

War with the Newts – for “prompt from the 2017 challenge” (book mentioned in another book, in this case Theodore Sturgeon’s The Dreaming Jewels). This book has a LOT to say about racism, colonialism, and the destructive power of unchecked capitalism… and given that it was published in the 1930s, a surprising amount of it is still quite relevant today.

Kindred – for “an own voices book.” A difficult but provocative and well-written read, and does a good job of depicting how harsh things were for African-Americans in the antebellum South without completely vilifying the white antagonist.

Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China – graphic novel, not for the challenge. I’ve read two of the author’s other graphic novelys, Pyongyang and Jerusalem, and while this one is shorter and more humorous than those two, it’s still an eye-opening read of being an outsider in a foreign country.

Regular Challenge – 40/43
Advanced Challenge – 8/10
Non-challenge books – 15

Currently Reading:

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast – for “retelling of a classic”
Forest of the Night – for “favorite prompt from the 2016 challenge” (sci-fi novel)

QOTW:

I leave reviews on every book I finish, and often I'll ponder what I"m going to say about said book as I read. I generally wait a few days until I've fully processed and thought about what I've read before I review it, however, because by then I've clearly made up my mind on how I feel towards characters, plot twists, etc.

message 28: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 272 comments @Nadine - My dad taught me how to drive in a cemetery! We had a small cemetary across the street from my house growing up, and he figured I wouldn't hurt anyone there. I did take Driver's Ed later at my high school (it was offered as a 2 or 3 week course in the summer), but I didn't want to be the only one who hadn't driven before class started. In Kansas when I was a teenager we could get our learner's permit at age 14!

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Somehow the 24 hour readathon last Saturday actually popped me out of my slide toward reading slump. I deliberately did NOT go for maximum time reading, and only actually read for 5-6 hours, but it was a fun experience. I had really thought what I needed was a break from reading to do other things, but apparently I was wrong.

Now I just need to figure out how to balance all the different kinds of pressure I'm wanting to put on my reading life right now (prioritize library books? or Popsugar challenge books, since I'm ahead and could finish early? or ATY challenge books since I'm behind? or, you know, books I actually feel like reading and would be fun?).

Finished Reading:
A Man Called Ove By the time I got to the end I could appreciate all the good things about this story, but I still just didn't enjoy it very much. Too much crankiness interspersed with hard emotional things, some of which hit too close to home. For 'set in Scandinavia'.

Red Rising Probably the best fictional handbook for leading a revolution I've read so far. Also enjoyable, though quite harsh.

Juliet Immortal I decided to use this for retelling. (In the very strictest sense it's more like a sequel to a non-existent alternate version, but it fits the spirit of the prompt for sure.) Loved the premise, but didn't really love the execution and probably won't read the sequel.

Marvel 1602 This seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it comic book, and I'm in the 'loved it' camp.

Currently Reading:
(Carmen, I can relate to the 'reading too many books' problem as my currently reading list is at 8 on Goodreads, and will hit 9 as soon as I start a new audio book. Two of those are books I haven't picked up in *months* and really need to get back to and clear off the list.) So, limiting this to books I've picked up in the past week:

Les Misérables Currently in the stretch where we hear all about a historical battle because the character walked past the orchard where it took place. So... much... fun...

A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World Might finish this next Sunday afternoon! I'm liking the middle and end much better than the beginning.

The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time Haven't gotten very far--the writing style is at least entertaining, but I can't tell yet if it has useful information.

Golden Son Because my fun/fiction reading life will be taken up by the Red Rising books for the next little while.

QOTW: I do often write reviews in my head as I read! I also revise them as I go, almost as a way to process my reactions to twists and changes in the story. Sometimes I don't have a clear reaction to put into words like that, and other times I forget it when I go to write the review, but fairly often I use lines from those mental reviews verbatim in the real review.

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 182 comments Good Morning All!

We have been having really wonderful weather over here for the past few weeks (with the exception of one day of thunderstorms). I am loving it. Its warm but not yet humid and the mosquitos haven't arrived yet. This period of weather usually is only around for a week or two before it gets hot and humid and buggy but I swear we've had 3 weeks of this already so no complaints here!

I finished 3 books this week. First was On the Come Up which I really enjoyed. Angie Thomas is a really great author and she does such a great job at building out her characters and their families. I read a physical copy of this book but I might seek out an audiobook at some point as I'd love to hear the rapping portions of the book as they are meant to sound. Has anyone listened to this one?

Next up was Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup was one of those books that is kind of like watching a car crash in slow motion where things just keep getting worse and worse. I feel so bad that their product affected actual people's health. It's one thing when a product or service doesn't work but when it's about health that puts it on a different level. The book it seems came out not too long after the initial exposé so I'd love to read a follow up in the future which covers more about the aftermath. There are a ton of books that have this title too so I might read one of those and use this for the 'two books that share the same title' prompt. My library has 9 different books alone with the same title so should have pretty decent options.

I just finished Truly Devious last night. The first 200 or so pages did not really catch me and then it started really getting interesting and by the end I was totally into it. I knew ahead of time that this was part of a series but I was a little disappointed at the very end just as I felt that it kind of didn't really resolve enough for me. I mean it was a logical place to stop but there are so many questions that are remaining. Clearly they'll all be covered in the next book but it felt a little more cliffhanger-y than I was wanting. This book would be great for the the amateur detective prompt, a book with a plant on the title (it's covered in ivy), ATY's set in a school or university, and I'm thinking it might be able to be used for the dual timeline prompt and I'm guessing that the puzzle/game prompt is probably going to fit in for one of the sequels (total guess though but there is clearly a riddle that's going to have significance).

And lastly, I was hoping I could request some recommendations. I've been recently following disabled activists on twitter and would love to get more educated in general on what it's like to be disabled and the challenges that they face that you might not realize unless you were disabled. If anyone has read a book that they personally recommend I'd love to know! I'm going to make this same request on the Own Voices thread but thought I'd start here since I'm writing this!

QOTW:

I would say about half the time I think about what I would write in a review while reading the book. More so now that I've started doing reading challenges and have been reading books outside my comfort zone. If there is something that really bugs me or is just SO good I'm inclined to want to tell people about it. I do about 50% of my reviews right after I finish reading and the other half I let sit with me a day or so.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Brittany wrote: "And lastly, I was hoping I could request some recommendations. I've been recently following disabled activists on twitter and would love to get more educated in general on what it's like to be disabled and the challenges that they face that you might not realize unless you were disabled. If anyone has read a book that they personally recommend I'd love to know! I'm going to make this same request on the Own Voices thread but thought I'd start here since I'm writing this!."

Not sure what kinds of disability you're specifically interested in, or if you're willing to expand beyond books that are technically Own Voices, but maybe these will be helpful:

Karen (A non-fiction book about a girl with cerebral palsy, written by her mother. Loved this one when I was a kid!)

Sound Friendships (Another one I loved as a kid, about a deaf girl and her service dog. No idea if the author has ties to the deaf culture herself.)

Mustaches for Maddie (A fictionalized story, written by the father of a girl with a (view spoiler) that affected her physical abilities.)

Joni: An Unforgettable Story (Memoir/autobiography by a woman who became a quadriplegic after an accident.)

Hope Heals: A True Story of Overwhelming Loss and an Overcoming Love (Memoir of a stroke survivor.)

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mellen (librarypatronus) | 68 comments Emotionally I had a crap week (TW: death my grandma had a fall earlier this month and was in rehab to help with her broken shoulder but expected to recover most function, then had a stroke and surgery to remove the clot, but and artery kept closing, and was put in palliative care and we lost her a couple days ago - she was probably my closest family member and my kids adored her), but what that translates to is a pretty prolific reading week because I decided to cope by reading ALL THE TIME. I again hit no popsugar challenges, because I just wanted to mood read, but I do have some on my TBR for the rest of the month, so hopefully soon - I'm up to 143/365 books though.

Finished:
The One Memory of Flora Banks
Throne of Glass maybe a puzzle or game?
Defy Me
Opposite of Always
Days of Blood & Starlight
Severance
The Library Book
The Two Lila Bennetts
Theatre of the Wind
The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day
Prince of the Elves
Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy Vol. 1
Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery
We Set the Dark on Fire
Silent Sisters

In progress:
The Girl in 6E
Four Dead Queens
Dragonfly in Amber

QOTW: Sometimes, I'll take notes or take down quotes.

message 33: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 207 comments This was the week of Dewey's 24 Read-a-thon, so I read...a lot. I finished 13 books, although some of them were pretty short. The books that counted towards Popsugar:

Who Fears Death question in title. It was a good post-apocalyptic/factasy books with a mix of old technology and reemerged superstition. I was pleasently surprised when it was explictly mentioned that it takes place in former Sudan so it counts towards my Around the World challenge. I like finding "real" books to count and not just depressing history or biographies.

Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood 2 female authors. This was the slowest of the three volumes.

Stars Above astrological term. Just a cute collection of short stories from the Cinder universe. Lots of fluff.

A Dangerous Collaboration written in 2019. Another cute continuation of the series. It does set up the next book nicely which I'm excited about.

Fangirl set on campus. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It may be because I identified a little too strongly with the main character.

QOTW
I don't do reviews any more than a few sentences like what I did above. There are sometimes, though, that I know exactly what that sentence is going to be.

message 34: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 541 comments Brittany wrote: "And lastly, I was hoping I could request some recommendations. I've been recently following disabled activists on twitter and would love to get more educated in general on what it'..."

2 that popped right to mind are The Running Dream, a YA novel about a runner who loses her leg in a car accident. I found it very relatable about how a person has to adjust with a disability (how do you shower on one leg?).
And Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia, which you may find interesting because it deals with a well sister and an ill sister trying to navigate schizophrenia. Also could work for a book written by 2 women.

message 35: by Jackie (last edited Apr 12, 2019 08:36AM) (new)

Jackie (heirloomroses) | 52 comments Finished:
Carpe Jugulum (No Chapters)
The Word for World is Forest (Plant on Cover - Trees)
The Ghost Bride (Ghost Story)
A Man Called Ove (Scandinavia Setting) - Very good, would recommend
Currently Reading:
Jupiter Plague (Author with the same first and last initial)

QOTW: Do you think about writing a review while you're reading? Sometimes. Most of the time I never get around to writing a review.

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 690 comments Last weekend was Dewey's Readthon so I read a ton Saturday/Sunday. I read for 19 hours and finished 4 books for a total of 1,145 pages. That's my personal best for a readathon!

Finished
Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie (plant in the title or on the cover). I enjoyed this one, although from the average rating maybe not everyone does. I could tell I'd love it from the first page, though. Being inside the terrified, disjointed mind of the accused gripped me right away.

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (a zodiac or astrology term in the title). I loved this book as much as I love every Sarah Addison Allen book. It was a bittersweet experience, though. This is the last of her novels I haven't read. I hope she has another one coming out soon!

One Tiny Lie by KA Tucker (set on a college or university campus). I very nearly DNFed this book. The first three chapters are so bad. The shy, bookish girl is pressured into drinking, forcibly kissed by her future love interest, and when she objects, her sister (who was protective in the first book) laughs at her and encourages her to keep drinking. This is definitely not my favorite KA Tucker book. It's one of her older books, and there's nothing like this in the more recent ones, so hopefully she's learned from her mistakes and won't let me down again.

If, Then by Kate Hope Day (debut novel). This is a literary sci-fi (cli-fi?) novel that's more about character development than action. It reminded me of Station Eleven, but not as good. It was good, but not great.

Reading
So many, but I've taken a break from almost all of them. I'm not sure which ones I want to continue with and which ones need to stay shelved for awhile.

QOTW
I don't write reviews anymore. It causes me too much anxiety. I give ratings, though. I do think about what rating I'll give a book as I read.

message 37: by Errlee (new)

Errlee | 131 comments It's been a month I think since my last check in and I don't really know why - I need to do it first thing on a Thursday because if I leave it too long I spend tons of time reading all the posts and then start panicking about how much time I have spent and feel like I don't have time to post - it's a vicious circle :) So just going to force myself back into it.

But not going to post all the books I have read the past month and will just stick to last week. I am making some progress, including having caught up with ATY after taking forever to read The Clockmaker's Daughter which I am trying to do in order and on time).

Finished Reading:

Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann - read this for a cozy mystery for Book Riot since I had seen quite a few posts about it - the detectives are a flock of sheep. It was cute and had its moments but overall I thought it was too long and the concept got a bit old. I think if it had been about 100 pages shorter I would have enjoyed it more.

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen - so this is the first in the Rizzoli and Isles series, which I had originally seen posts about for Reading Women for the prompt for a mystery written by a WOC (I read it for a book in a series prompt instead as already had that one done). I can't say I loved it - there was a lot of graphic and disturbing crazy woman hating inner monologue by the killer, which I didn't love (and I am not opposed to dark thriller type books). I think partly if felt dated (it's from 2001)? I liked some of the writing and characters but overall it fell flat for me. Also, there was only Rizzoli and no Isles? So I'm assuming she comes along later? I think at some point I will try the next one in the series though since lots of people like her books - could just be a beginner's writer thing. Anyone out there read more of these?

The Library Book by Susan Orlean - after hearing so much about this, it was as good as people said it was. Read it for the ATY book about reading prompt. Who knew you could write such an engaging book about libraries and arson and ... so many other things. It really did a good job making you think about the role of libraries in a community.

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - this was a super fast, fun read. Highly recommend. Again for ATY, for the NYPL Staff Library picks prompt

And last but not least, The Witch Elm by Tana French for plant on a title (and BOM read) - I have read all of her books and loved this one too.

Currently Reading:
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - for the ATY astronomical term prompt. I'm about 3/4 through and enjoying it so far - fairly fast thriller sci-fi read

QOTW: Except for short reviews on these posts and other group posts, I don't review books.

message 38: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments Errlee wrote: "Also, there was only Rizzoli and no Isles? So I'm assuming she comes along later? I think at some point I will try the next one in the series though since lots of people like her books - could just be a beginner's writer thing. Anyone out there read more of these?..."

I've read all of them and I think they improve with the friendship of Rizzoli and Isles, which comes a few books in. I don't think she intended them as a series at the start and the second book is more of a follow on but later they focus on new crimes. I mean, they're not amazing but I like the characters and there's not many crime series I kept up with.

message 39: by Raye (new)

Raye | 48 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Emotionally I had a crap week (TW: death my grandma had a fall earlier this month and was in rehab to help with her broken shoulder but expected to recover most function, then had a stroke and surg..."

I'm so sorry for your loss Elizabeth. My condolences to you and your family!

message 40: by Trish (last edited Apr 11, 2019 07:45AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 154 comments I didn't manage to check in last week, so this is a twofer. I have ticked off a couple more PS prompts, though.

I read The House Without a Key (the first Charlie Chan) novel, which I liked a lot. I used it for 14. A book someone is reading on TV, as I saw Danny Williams reading it on Hawaii Five-O - strangely appropriate.

I also read and enjoyed last month's challenge book, Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, which reminded me quite a bit of Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.

On the ATY side, I'm still up to date, having read Revenant Gun for the NYPL list book.

I'm currently reading Under the Pendulum Sun for ATY week 14, and may use it for PS 33. Astrology term in the title later as well, depending on what else I read; or, at a stretch, 50. Abbey/cloister etc, as thus far its all been set in the home of a missionary/priest, albeit in the lands of the Fae (Arcadia in this book).

Other than that, I've mainly been reading assorted mysteries for a couple of my other challenges since I last checked in: The Cracked Spine (not bad), Just Desserts (liked a lot), A Bespoke Murder (okay, but the writing style annoyed me) and The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum (liked a lot).

Plus a couple of graphic novels - The Doll's House and Marvel 1602 - coincidentally, both by Neil Gaiman.

QotW:

I don't usually write long reviews - normally I just go with a couple of lines once I finish the book. That said, sometimes I feel the need to write something longer, in which case, I normally put it into GR as I go along, but don't tick the box for "add to update feed" until I've actually finished the book.

message 41: by Sarah (last edited Apr 11, 2019 07:59AM) (new)

Sarah | 90 comments Finished

The Broken Girls - This was probably the most average book I've ever read. There was nothing bad about it, but there was nothing memorable or special about it, either. The prose was serviceable. The characters were fine, but they lacked depth. The story is told in two alternating timelines, one in the present day about a journalist and one in the past about a group of girls in a boarding school, and I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had focused entirely on the past. Entertaining enough for a quick diversion, but not something I would seek out again. Read for the book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter prompt. 3 stars.

To Kill a Mockingbird - I have a running list of "books I should probably have been assigned in the course of getting an English degree but wasn't," and this one is probably the most egregious. I found myself pleasantly surprised by it! It was very easy and engaging to read, and I found myself really connecting to the strong voice of the protagonist. It did meander a bit for my liking. I would have preferred slightly more focus on the trial and less description of the townspeople, but that's mostly personal preference - I don't typically care for slice of life. During the trial scenes, I was genuinely moved, and I understand why this novel is still so widely read. Recommended. Read for the debut novel prompt. 4 stars.

The Beauty - This book was an example of absolutely fascinating concepts executed poorly. I love weird fiction, and it was certainly that. I give it credit for following through with its weird ideas, including some pretty heavy body horror, rather than shying away. But I just didn't feel anything. Everything was so...surface-level. Characters were hardly more than names. The social commentary was pretty heavy-handed. I honestly feel like this would have worked much better as a short story. When something isn't much more than an idea, why bother trying to flesh it out at all? Read for the book with a plant in the title or on the cover prompt. 2 stars.

Total complete: 20/50

Next on the Stack

The Monster Baru Cormorant
The Price of Salt
Into the Drowning Deep

QOTW

I don't usually write reviews - these weekly checkins have been the exception. I've just been relying on what I remember.

message 42: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 686 comments Brittany wrote: "And lastly, I was hoping I could request some recommendations. I've been recently following disabled activists on twitter and would love to get more educated in general on what it's like to be disabled and the challenges that they face that you might not realize unless you were disabled. If anyone has read a book that they personally recommend I'd love to know! I'm going to make this same request on the Own Voices thread but thought I'd start here since I'm writing this!"

*pulls out the autism / mental-illness recs*

Fiction
On the Edge of Gone (ownvoices for autism)
Into the Drowning Deep (it's not ownvoices, but still one of the best autie characters I've seen and there is also a lot of other disability rep)
Defying Doomsday
Under Rose-Tainted Skies (OCD/anxiety/agoraphobia rep)
A Quiet Kind of Thunder (anxiety/selective mutism, and deafness rep)

Nonfiction
The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
Loud Hands: Autistic People, Speaking
Odd Girl Out: An Autistic Woman in a Neurotypical World
Fingers in the Sparkle Jar: A Memoir

message 43: by Raye (last edited Apr 25, 2019 02:53AM) (new)

Raye | 48 comments Hi all. The weather is finally starting to turn here and it’s getting colder as we head further into autumn. Time to get the blankets out…

Work has been terrible over the last while. There has been some downsizing going on so morale is very low. And it doesn’t help that the powers that be are not really communicating with everyone. On the positive side though, I have decided to drop down to a 4 day week (or rather scale up to a 3 day weekend), which officially started last week. ;-)

Anyhoo, back to the books. I missed checking in last week, so catching up from where I left off last time, I’ve read 4 books.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz – for the book that inspired a common phrase or idiom prompt. I was expecting several of these to pop up, such as: “there’s no place like home”, “we’re not in Kansas anymore”, the man behind the curtain”, follow the yellow brick road”, etc. But sadly, other than the first one, all the others must have come from the movie. However, the movie was inspired by the book, so I’m still going to count it. This was a very quick read, and exactly what I remembered. What I hadn’t remembered was how many books there were in the total series – I think 14.

Coincidentally, just after I finished, I saw a film synopsis which I found hilarious:
“The Wizard of Oz – transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.”

21 Lessons for the 21st Century – for the book about a problem facing society prompt from last year (and the Muggle Studies O.W.L.). I found this book quite overwhelming – there were too many things that the author wanted to get across and at times it felt like he was just throwing statements out. However there were many things that made me stop and think, and also many times when I disagreed with him or thought he was oversimplifying things. I read this for one of my IRL book clubs and it was probably the most animated discussion we’ve ever had. So in terms of what he said his intention was, I do think that he achieved his aim of the book being a conversation starter.

Death on Taurus – for the zodiac sign in the title prompt (and the Transfiguration O.W.L.). This was a random free book that popped up in my feed that I bought purely for the title (especially as I am a Taurus myself). It was a bit weird but with an intriguing enough premise. Sadly, the author didn’t quite make it work.

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal – for the book about someone with a superpower prompt. Very easy read and love that they’ve introduced a more diverse superhero! I did find that the story about how she got her superpowers was a bit flat, but hopefully they expand on it later in the series. Guess I’ll find out as I’m probably gonna read it all!

That takes me to 25/50.

QOTW

I do sometimes think of something while reading but I never write it down and then struggle to remember afterward. But I don’t really write reviews, except for myself.

message 44: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 169 comments Hey Everyone! I didn't have the best week, but finished one book at least.

Finished: They Both Die at the End - I'm using this for prompt #24 - a book that takes place in a single day. I listened to this on audible and really liked it. It's weird reading a book you know the ending to though!

Challenge Progress:
Regular Challenge - 17/40
Advanced Challenge - 4/10

Currently Reading:
One Day in December
Miracle Creek
Lilac Girls

QOTW - Do you think about writing a review while you're reading?

I do think about my review while reading, but I don't write anything out ahead of time. Maybe I should though?!

message 45: by Ali (last edited Apr 11, 2019 11:20AM) (new)

Ali (aliciaclare) | 153 comments Ellie wrote: "My hayfever was terrible at the weekend, so I didn't do as much of Dewey's Readathon as I wanted. However I did get through plenty of books this week.

Finished:
Other Words for Smoke.

Thanks for the heads up on The Art of Racing in the Rain It was on my to-read, and I don't necessarily mind a dog's perspective. But a false rape storyline? Not something I'm interested in reading.

edit: goodreads deleted half my comment? Is this because of the thread yesterday from talking about what goodreads needs to work on!

message 46: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 822 comments Katy wrote: "Carmen wrote: "Here the idea is that if parents teach you how to drive, they teach you their way of driving, even if unintentionally, so they don't allow it."

You're not allowed to teach your kids..."

Well of course, but there is a difference in numbers for sure. Everything that is not allowed is still done, but less, in general.

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen | 161 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Emotionally I had a crap week (TW: death my grandma had a fall earlier this month and was in rehab to help with her broken shoulder but expected to recover most function, then had a stroke and surg..."

I am so sorry to hear this. What an emotional weel you've had. Sending loving energy to you and your kids.

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen | 161 comments Brittany wrote: "Good Morning All!

We have been having really wonderful weather over here for the past few weeks (with the exception of one day of thunderstorms). I am loving it. Its warm but not yet humid and the..."

The next book for Truly Devious is out. I envy you. I read this book when it first came out and had to wait ages for the next one.

message 49: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 822 comments Raquel wrote: "Now I just need to figure out how to balance all the different kinds of pressure I'm wanting to put on my reading life right now (prioritize library books? or Popsugar challenge books, since I'm ahead and could finish early? or ATY challenge books since I'm behind? or, you know, books I actually feel like reading and would be fun?)"

This is me, all. the. time. Add in some ARCs and it can be really stressful and drag me down!

message 50: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 822 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Emotionally I had a crap week (TW: death my grandma had a fall earlier this month and was in rehab to help with her broken shoulder but expected to recover most function, then had a stroke and surg..."

I am so sorry for your loss <3

« previous 1 3 4