The Sword and Laser discussion

Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2)
This topic is about Theft of Swords
Theft of Swords > TOS: Medford

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adelaide (last edited Apr 10, 2019 07:30PM) (new)

Adelaide Blair As someone who went to High School in Medford, Oregon, I always laugh when they talk about going back to Medford. Don't do it! Grow up and move away like any other sensible person!

(I am having fun with this. It's light and easy, and since my RA is acting up, I can use some of that.)

Trike | 8192 comments As a fellow arthritis enjoyer, TOS is a big damn book.

message 3: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair Trike wrote: "As a fellow arthritis enjoyer, TOS is a big damn book."

I have it on my kindle. No paper books for me for a while.

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments There's a Medford in suburban Boston, or as the locals call it, "Meffa." Sometimes "Meffahd." It's one of those bedroom communities and at least at the time, little culture since, well, why bother since Boston was a trolley ride away.

I only knew one person from there, a girl in an acting class when we were both teens. As I recall she moved away shortly after high school.

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 44 comments Yep! I was about to mention Medford, Massachussetts lol. I always giggle when I read it.

Aaron (oldwindways) | 123 comments I spent a decade living in Medford, MA. I do miss being walking distance from the restaurants in Medford Square now that I live in the suburbs and everything is a car ride (or a bike ride if I am feeling ambitious) away.

And yes, everyone knew I was not a native because I pronounced both the first and second d in Medford.

Trike | 8192 comments Aaron wrote: "And yes, everyone knew I was not a native because I pronounced both the first and second d in Medford"

I arranged to meet my cousin for dinner halfway between where she was in Connecticut and where I live in New Hampshire, so I said to her, “I know a good restaurant in Woostah.” She’s like, “Okay, cool, see you there.” Five minutes later she called me back to say she couldn’t find it on the map. I said, “Oh, right, it’s pronounced Woostah but it’s spelled Worcester. It’s Mass, whatcha gonna do?”

message 8: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair Trike wrote: "Aaron wrote: "And yes, everyone knew I was not a native because I pronounced both the first and second d in Medford"

I arranged to meet my cousin for dinner halfway between where she was in Connec..."

In Oregon, all the ds are pronounced. We respect our consonants in the Pacific Northwest.

Trike | 8192 comments Adelaide wrote: "In Oregon, all the ds are pronounced. We respect our consonants in the Pacific Northwest."

My cousin and I are from Ohio, where things are pronounced like they look. There’s even a Wooster, which is pronounced Wooster. Bellefontaine is pronounced “bell fountain” because that’s what it looks like. None of this fancy British or French stuff for salt-of-the-earth Midwesterners.