The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Fellowship of the Ring discussion

Concerns about Fantasy's Consumers Today

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (last edited Apr 10, 2019 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Colin Bohl It appears as if most complaints are of writing which doesn’t progress the plot quickly enough to satisfy the readers.

I can tell you I’m in no rush to hasten my life or my “plot” and I treat my fantasy all the same.

In a new world I need to learn the ways of things and really soak in the atmosphere through the prose, which is what so many people complain about these days. I fear modern readers with this attitude would lack appreciation or comprehension of what these modern authors drew inspiration from, and what they constantly attempt to emulate.

I remember books for the characters I grow to love or hate, the world I feel alive in, and the way it all ties together to give me a home away from home.

I completely understand not enjoying slow progression, but these stories have so much more to tell than just the linear plot progression. If these books aren’t teaching you something, the author isn’t doing their job, or you aren’t paying attention.

And it's probably the latter.

Robin Hobb
TOLKIEN

message 2: by Heather (last edited Nov 23, 2019 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather Something I do love about today is that we can have both. We can have a fast paced book and we can further explore the world. Scenes that I cut from Blood Fiercely Defended can now be shared through newsletters or as blog posts, however I choose. People are asking for more and we can give it to them.
I do believe that your point of "modern readers with this attitude would lack appreciation or comprehension of what these modern authors drew inspirations from" holds true. We can't just think about what the readers want, we have to go beyond their expectations. As Henry Ford said, "If I'd asked people what they wanted they would have said faster horses." By drawing inspiration and learning from great writers of the past, Tolkien especially, we can give readers what they didn't even know they wanted.

message 3: by C. J. (last edited Jan 10, 2020 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. J. Scurria This is a great thought, Colin. It's true that some stories, especially fantasy, try to explain so much there is a risk that readers might give up on getting into the book. I admit I might be of that group though I try my best to get through parts I find particularly kind of tough to read through. (Example I read the entire intro part that people act like is notoriously long from this book) But what I will always appreciate is its hopeful purpose: world building. And if a person so badly wants to let us in on what they so badly want us to "see" from their vision, I'm fine with that. I say I definitely will keep trying.

message 4: by C. J. (last edited Jan 10, 2020 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. J. Scurria Side note: This is a relief to find stuff to debate and discuss on here. I'm getting sick of reporting hundreds of "comments" that say:

Try this pill! Here's the site link: virus dot com

lol