NZ Intermediate School Librarians discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayne (new)

Jayne  Downes | 19 comments by Christy Jordan-Fenton, Margaret Pokiak-Fenton, Liz Amini-Holmes (Illustrator)
I have found this to be a great book for year 7and 8. It is the memoir of an Inuit girl who went to a residential school in Alaska for 2 years in the 1940s because she wanted to learn to read. The story is beautifully illustrated and an easy read; it shows our students the huge challenges she faced adapting to life in the school. There are themes of discrimination and bullying; lots of things to discuss.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeboniface) | 123 comments I've never heard of this book before Jayne! But it sounds really good and certainly appropriate for our school wide focus on "resilience" this year. I'm ordering it from Wheelers - it's quite pricey ($28) for a paperback but I guess that is partly due to the photos and illustrations that I gather are included.

message 3: by Jayne (new)

Jayne  Downes | 19 comments I got my copy from Book Depository for much less Jane. I heard about the book on list serve and saw it had good ratings. There is a book trailer that is good if you have a screen in your library.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeboniface) | 123 comments Cool, thanks for that Jayne. I will check out Book Dep.