Great African Reads discussion

Dust
This topic is about Dust
Archived | Regional Books 2019 > May/June 2019 | Dust by Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor SPOILERS Allowed

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (last edited Apr 10, 2019 01:09PM) (new) - added it

Anetq | 762 comments Mod
This thread is for discussions of our May/June 2019 read of Dust, by Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor - Notice that there may be SPOILERS (Find the no-spoiler thread here)
- Feel free to discuss anything you like about the book here: Here's a few questions to get you started:
How did you like the characters? The plot? The style? The portrayal of characters and their surroundings?

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 99 comments I read this about two years ago. I thought it was challenging because of the author's style. But it was very well done. I summed up my thoughts in my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tinea (pist) | 406 comments Mod
I also read this a few years ago and still think about it. I wrote a two-part review because initially I really didn't like-- or was frustrated by-- the impenetrability of the story. Later as I sat with it, I came to realize that impenetrability, or silences, was the point of the story. Here's my review.

message 4: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 801 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing your reviews! We already read this book in January 2014. Here a link to the discussion.

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 99 comments Wim wrote: "Thanks for sharing your reviews! We already read this book in January 2014. Here a link to the discussion."

Thanks for the link. Interesting discussion. I'm glad a lot of people loved the book because it really was very good.

message 6: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 33 comments Tamara wrote: "I read this about two years ago. I thought it was challenging because of the author's style. But it was very well done. I summed up my thoughts in my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2..."

Thank you Tamara for your review.

message 7: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 33 comments Tinea wrote: "I also read this a few years ago and still think about it. I wrote a two-part review because initially I really didn't like-- or was frustrated by-- the impenetrability of the story. Later as I sat..."

Thank you Tina. I particularly liked your reference to the discrete silences.

Tamara wrote: "I read this about two years ago. I thought it was challenging because of the author's style. But it was very well done. I summed up my thoughts in my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2..."

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 99 comments Nan wrote: "Thank you Tamara for your review..."

You're welcome!

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 82 comments I am surprised to see that I read this back in 2014. At the time, I called it one of the most difficult but also most beautiful books I’ve ever read. I’m on my iPad at present and haven’t figured out how to link to reviews on it, but I will try to do it later from my PC. I also noticed within the past couple of weeks that she has a new book coming out. I will definitely read that.

Valerie (valroos) | 299 comments I finished reading the book. I have such mixed feelings about it. I really liked the overall theme of the book and how Owuor plays with notions of memory, forgetting, (in)justice, and the convulsions of nation-building. I also really enjoyed how the story unveiled itself through the progressive peeling of small layers of the character's intersecting lives. But I found the writing style difficult to get through sometimes.

message 11: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 801 comments Mod
I agree this was a challenging read. Took me about three weeks to finish, though the last part went a lot quicker.
The poetic and impenetrable style suits the story well with this multitude of concealed and painful pasts.
My short review. I love the book more now that I've finished it than while I was reading.

message 12: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 82 comments Reading these comments is bringing back some of my actual reading experience. I recall that the style and structure of the novel seemed to help express what was happening with the characters, the country. This was something that grew on me over time while reading, especially when memory, the past was heavily involved. I hope this makes sense as I’m working from memory.