The Bibliophiles discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month > May BOTM Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello!

I wanted to go ahead and get the suggestions thread up so that we could get some great suggestions in! May has always been my favorite month of the year! (No, it has nothing to do with the fact that my birthday is in May! ;D) It's got May Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, Star Wars Day, Free Comic Book Day, and very importantly Cinco De Mayo. This is a holiday to celebrate 'the date of the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War.' While it is a fairly small holiday in Mexico, it is widely celebrated here in America where it 'has evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations.' (Quotes pulled from History.com)
I have loved our past themes that involved reading books from authors originating in different countries. So for May, I would love to read books written by Mexican authors. Mexico has a vast and beautiful culture with generations of wonderful stories and traditions with new art, literature and music being added every day. I am very excited to see what amazing books this will bring up for discussion!

Thank you all!

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments I can't remember if she's Mexican but I HIGHLY recommend The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. It's a wonderfully intriguing novel exploring the evolution of family values through three generations. Allende is one of the founding authors of the magical realism and tells such a wonderful take, she deserves all the recognition she can get

message 3: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 19 comments There's "I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter" by Erika L. Sanchez.

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Lois wrote: "There's "I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter" by Erika L. Sanchez."

One of my best friends SWEARS by this book!!

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Lisa, does this count?

The Savage Detectives

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Dustin wrote: "Lisa, does this count?

The Savage Detectives"

Yes! This does count!!

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) Lois wrote: "There's "I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter" by Erika L. Sanchez."

I asked my sister (who is a librarian) for suggestions, and this was the first that came to mind for her as well.

She also suggested Aristotle and Dante, and a Girl in Pieces. Though I think they are Mexican-American, and I wasn't sure if that counts. Aristotle and Dante has been on my to read list for a while.

message 8: by Dustin (last edited Apr 24, 2019 08:04PM) (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Lisa wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Lisa, does this count?

The Savage Detectives"

Yes! This does count!!"

Sweet!👍

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.