You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > Liveship Traders Trilogy Book 1 - Ship of Magic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Peggy, Margo, and I are continuing on with the "Realm of the Underling" series. We will start reading the next sub-trilogy, "The Liveship Traders" with book 1, Ship of Magic. We are aiming for June or July.

All are welcome to join us.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will join you for this. I have already read 'Ship of Magic' but I never got around to continuing on with the rest of the series. I was planning on re-reading it in order to refresh my memory before moving on to Book #2 so this is perfect timing :)

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I'm glad you'll be joining us, Lisa.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Apr 12, 2019 07:35AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Thanks for setting up the thread Janice!

Great that you'll join Lisa :)

Shall we say end of June? 22nd?

I have a hardcover and go on holiday at the end of July, so I need to have it finished by then. I don't want to carry the book with me for 2 weeks ;-)

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Jun 22 works for me.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments June 22nd works for me too.

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Me also 😊

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I've updated the calendar to Jun 22. I'm looking forward to this book. We leave Fitz behind and focus on a new character. The audiobook has a different narrator as well.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I'm going to start this tomorrow since I finished an audiobook today.

How is everyone else doing?

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I have two books on the go. I'll start this when I finish one of them, but that's probably not going to be tomorrow.

message 11: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments I'm easy. I can wait til Peggy is ready to start :-)

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments That's kind Margo! But don't worry, just start when it fits you best. I'll catch up. I hope to finish my current book this weekend. Rob's working and the weather is nice, so that's a good recipe for getting some reading done :)

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Right-oh, I will start tomorrow with Janice then ;-)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I hope I'm going to get over the narrator of the audiobook without constantly whining about it. I'll try to keep it reigned in. Funny thing is, I've listened to Anne Flosnik before and didn't mind her narration. But I'm struggling with this book.

I read the preamble - (view spoiler). I've also read Chapter 1: Of Priests and Pirates - (view spoiler)

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I hope the narration gets better Janice.

I just brought my copy downstairs. I bought it second hand online, so didn't know anything except the condition it was in. Turns out it's one of those books with flimsy pages, tiny print and almost no line spacing..

I'll start tomorrow.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I dislike small fonts and tight spacing. I'm beginning to think that large print is looming in my future. :)

I'm reading chapter 2 now and the main character is a woman. I wonder if what unsettled me was her interpretation of male voices because I'm not bothered by her female voice.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I like that the audiobook is giving me not only chapter numbers, but chapter names! I think that's the first time I've seen that in an audiobook.

Chapter 2: The Liveships - (view spoiler)

Chapter 3: Ephron Vestrit - (view spoiler)

Chapter 4: Divvytown - (view spoiler)

Chapter 5: Bingtown & Chapter 6: The Quickening of the Viviacia (going to do these together) - (view spoiler)

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments My internet was out for a few hours yesterday, and all I could do was read. It's boosted me ahead a bit. So far, I'm enjoying being back in this world.

message 19: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Ugh, the app doesn't hide spoilers so I'm only going to check in here when I'm on my laptop.

I finished chapter 2 but will read some more tonight. I have to admit that if this trilogy was not part of the whole Robin Hobb world, I probably wouldn't have read it. The blurb doesn't attract me that much. I'm really enjoying it though! I'll post some more specific thoughts tomorrow.

message 20: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments I have just finished chapter 1. I had a few false starts as I, like Janice, am not keen on the narration. I found that I was getting distracted cos I couldn't stop trying to place her accent. I decided to go with the classification "International British" and bought the kindle book to and text. That is keeping me more anchored in the story.

Preamble and chapter 1 (view spoiler)

message 21: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments I didn't get much reading done today because my allergies went through the roof last night. I didn't get much sleep with sneezing and sniffing so I was really tired today and watched tennis for most of the day :(

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jun 24, 2019 12:21AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments My thoughts so far up to and including chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I'm quite enjoying this book.

Chapter 8 Night Conversations - (view spoiler)

Chapter 10 Confrontations - (view spoiler)

Chapter 11 Consequences and Reflections - (view spoiler)

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

message 25: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 26: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I also thought Althea (view spoiler)

message 27: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Chapters 5 and 6: (view spoiler)

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Chapter 14 Family Matters - (view spoiler)

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Margo wrote: "Chapter 2: ."

I rather like Althea! (view spoiler)

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Peggy wrote: "Chapters 5 and 6: ...."

I thought the quickening of the liveship (view spoiler)

message 32: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Janice wrote: "Margo wrote: "Chapter 2: ."

I rather like Althea! [spoilers removed]"

She is what we would call (view spoiler)

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments And I think her age too. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Peggy wrote: "Chapters 5 and 6: .."

I don't have much to add to both of your spoilers. I am enjoying the story so far. Robin Hobb creates very interesting characters.

(view spoiler)

I am reading quite slowly because I have very bad hayfever and also I am very busy. Part of the reason I'm busy is that Pete and I are going away for a few days on Saturday so I will get plenty of time to read then. Just as good as my book club read has just arrived from the library and I need to have that read be middle of next week. I don't think I will make it!

message 35: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Brashen is 24, but he's sometimes referred to as 'an older man' which seems a bit strange.

With regard to Wintrow, was mindfulness already a thing when this book was written? He (and other priests) are very much about not judging yourself or others, living in the now, and other mindfulness concepts.

message 36: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Oh, that explains where I got that idea from anyway! (view spoiler)

message 37: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Janice wrote: "I'm quite enjoying this book.

Chapter 8 Night Conversations - "

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Chapter 10 was aptly named! (view spoiler)

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Peggy wrote: "Janice wrote: "I'm quite enjoying this book.

Chapter 8 Night Conversations - " ..."

I don't recall meeting Paragon before. That doesn't mean he wasn't in earlier books, just that I don't remember.

I'm trying to place this book into the timeline of the Farseer Trilogy. Maybe it will all come clearer over time.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments I wrote a big long post, and accidently hit a link and lost it all. Grr!

Chapter 15 Negotiations - (view spoiler)

Have to come back to this. A friend just arrived.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47208 comments Chapter 16 New Roles - (view spoiler)

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Janice, Paragon wasn't in an earlier book, it was this book. I checked back, last few pages of ch 2.

message 43: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9410 comments Chapters 8 and 9: Not much to add except that (view spoiler)

message 44: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I was wondering about that too Margo. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Chapter 12: (view spoiler)

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I finished chapter 15. I'm now at the part of the book called Autumn.

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I don't think I will be able to join in with this buddy read after all. I have just got too many other books that I need/want to read at the moment. Once things ease up a bit I will reread this and hopefully join you for the buddy read of The Mad Ship (if you do one of course 😉).

message 48: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Did you read only this one or the full trilogy Lisa?

I think it's highly likely we'll buddy read the next one too ;-)

message 49: by Lisa (last edited Jun 27, 2019 12:57PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "Did you read only this one or the full trilogy Lisa?

I think it's highly likely we'll buddy read the next one too ;-)"

Just this one, Peggy. I just never seemed to have the time to get around to the other two. So far, the 'Farseer' trilogy is the only trilogy in 'The Realm of the Elderlings' that I have completed.

message 50: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Oooh so you can join us for the next 12 books! :D

« previous 1 3

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mad Ship (other topics)
Ship of Magic (other topics)