Slytherin Common Room discussion

General Discussion > Your favorite genre?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments I thought it would be interesting to see what genres my fellow sneks enjoy!

I read all kinds of fantasy, of course. i cannot resist if there are dragons, elves or vampires, haha! my favorites are tolkien, anne rice, terry Pratchett and r.a. salvatore.

I also love historical books. it may be fictional or not, but I most enjoy it, if it closely follows real historical events.

Mythology is another topic I enjoy. Be it the Edda, Kalevala, Nibelungen or Iliada, i enjoy them all.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Anderko | 6 comments Mod
I like history - non-fiction or fiction. I love biographies/autobiographies. Progressive parenting books.

I will give almost anything a shot, though! I've never been able to get much into fantasy that is based in other worlds - my brain can't keep up!

message 3: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments I've never been able to get much into fantasy..."

haha yea, reading game of thrones is really cool, but it's tough to remember all the time who is who and where and all that.. tolkien is challenging in that sector, too xD

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Anderko | 6 comments Mod
Katrin wrote: "I've never been able to get much into fantasy..."

haha yea, reading game of thrones is really cool, but it's tough to remember all the time who is who and where and all that.. tolkien is challengi..."

My husband was determined that we read The Hobbit and LOTR with our 9 year old, so I have been doing my best to keep up. It's been a struggle but I'm doing my best!

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea  Wilbur | 11 comments I'm eclectic. I like all sorts of different genres. My bread in butter is sci-fi/fantasy, but I will literally read anything that's put in front of me. I do agree with everyone else that's posted so far about how hard fantasy can be to read sometimes. If I'm reading something intense like LOTR or GOT, I always have to take a break and read something less intense afterwards, like a harlequin romance or How to train your dragon. The only thing I'm not a fan of is true crime. It freaks me out too much to know that a real person did horrible things to another real person.

message 6: by Lea (new)

Lea  Wilbur | 11 comments Amanda wrote: "I like history - non-fiction or fiction. I love biographies/autobiographies. Progressive parenting books.

I will give almost anything a shot, though! I've never been able to get much into fantasy..."

If you haven't read All but my life by Gerda Weissman Klein yet, I highly recommend it. It's the autobiography of a young Jewish girl's time in a concentration camp. It's so sad, but so good.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments I love to read fantasy, dystopian, historical romance, rarely something kind of scary (think Are You Afraid of the Dark scary because I’m a wimp), sometimes mystery, science fiction, and some historical fiction. I’ll give almost anything a try, but won’t hesitate to abandon a book if it doesn’t keep my interest :)

message 8: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments I'm not a fan of scary stuff, either. I rarely watch horror movies, I watch most of it with closed eyes, haha! so yea, the same goes for books. now my former classmate wrote a Psychothriller and I want to read it for him, as support, but I really feel squirmish about it, lol!!