Open Mind, Open Heart discussion

TAO > Under heaven all can see beauty as beauty, only because there is ugliness.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
2nd Verse:

Under heaven all can see beauty as beauty, only because there is ugliness. All can know good as good only because there is evil.

Being and nonbeing produce each other. The difficult is born in the easy. Long is defined by short, the high by the low. Before and after go along with each other.

So the sage lives openly with apparent duality and paradoxical unity. The sage can act without effort and teach without words. Nuturing things without possessing them, he works, but not for rewards; he competes, but not for results.

When the work is done, it is forgotten. That is why it lasts forever.

- Living the wisdom of the Tao, Wayne Dyer

message 2: by Peni (new)

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) The first line is definitely about balance to me. Can't have good without evil, light without dark, left without right, etc.
I think Verse 2 goes on to say don't get caught up in the mundane stuff, don't work to get ahead in this world so you can own more "stuff"....hard work has its own rewards...

message 3: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
For me this has a little bit of that wisdom about letting go and accepting things. Nature has its own way of balancing itself and I think that humans do as well. It's just so many of us tune out that little voice (no, I don't mean some schzophrenic mental illness. I mean our intuition.) that provides guidance. This to me that accepting that inner guide helps make sense of the mystery of polar opposites. Accepting yourself and others as they are opens up a world where you don't feel the need to work for a greater good or universal knowing rather than working to feed ego and greed. When one becomes too ego-driven it's like edging out the beautiful, paradoxical mystery that I call God and others may call Buddha or energy or nature....that makes the world go round. And we you let that world go round, accepting it for what it is, you have more enjoyment.

message 4: by Peni (new)

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) I agree completely. I have become more and more aware of EGO rearing its ugly head, in others as well as myself, and I guess it's personal progress for me to recognize it; "Oh, that's just my EGO complaining." Ido think I'm making progress!

message 5: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
I suppose the Tao would tell us that there can be no EGO without selflessness! ;)

message 6: by Peni (new)

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) oooo. Good one, Starr!