Play Book Tag discussion

The Round House
This topic is about The Round House
Archive: Other Books > The Round House / Louise Erdrich. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8032 comments Joe is only 13-years old when his mother is attacked. She has a hard time getting back on her feet when it comes out that she was raped. Joe and his father (a judge) try to figure out who might have done this, as they don’t know if the police (or which police, if any – the town police?, the tribal police?) will do anything.

The beginning of the book started off with a “bang”, so to speak, and it kind of ended that way, as well, but it was pretty slow-going in the middle. Overall, it was ok for me. I liked one of the other characters’ stories a bit better (but that could also be because it was condensed) – Linda. The author included some sad stats at the end of the book, with regards to native women and rape.

Joy D | 3086 comments I thought the author did a great job of showing the impact of violent crime on families and the desire for justice in the face of legal loopholes. It delivered an important message. I am planning to read more by this author.

Thanks for your review, LibraryCin!

message 3: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2715 comments I've avoided this one because of the violent subject matter, but I'm usually a fan of Erdrich's writing. I'm sure I heard of her first when PBT was on Shelfari and several people reviewed The Master Butchers Singing Club.

Joy D | 3086 comments I'll check it out, thanks!