Jewish Book Club discussion

David and the Philistine Woman
This topic is about David and the Philistine Woman
2019 Books/Discussions > David and the Philistine Woman

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1627 comments Mod
I didn't see a folder for discussing the book for April, so here it is!

message 2: by Stacey B (new)

Stacey B | 1041 comments Mod
Jan- thank you so much for posting the folder.
Where did you find it?
I had asked if anyone read this earlier.
Haven't seen too much discussion.
Am nearing the last part of the book- though I started reading another book half way through.
Not sure this choice is for me.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Stacey wrote: "Jan- thank you so much for posting the folder.
Where did you find it?
I had asked if anyone read this earlier.
Haven't seen too much discussion.
Am nearing the last part of the book- though I sta..."

I didn't find it, I created it -- the same way you and others have added a "new topic" for discussion. Sorry that the "topic" has the last word of the title omitted. The moderator has already created a list of topics that pop up, and that's how it popped up, so I was stuck with that.

So glad you're reading this book, Stacey. A while back when it was new or maybe just before it was published, the author's wife contacted me about reviewing it, but I just can't do that -- too bogged down with demands and not the world's fastest reader, anyway. I know she must be looking forward to its being reviewed or discussed, whether or not it's to everryone's tastes. She may be among the group members.

Jonathan | 179 comments I read this book earlier this month and really enjoyed it. Like the Dove Keeper and The Red Tent, it makes The Old Testament and Jewish history very readable. Boorstin creates the character of Goliath's wife and gives us insight into the Philistine people and their life and culture. He also brings to life to Saul, Jonathan, Jessie, Michel and the other supporting characters of the story their personalities their strength and weaknesses. He does a splendid job leading up to the Biblical encounter and even though you know the ending he writes with an aura of suspense that keeps you wondering how the final blow will be delivered.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Thanks for your comment, Jonathan; glad to know this is another good one!

Jonathan | 179 comments Hi Jan, thanks for creating the folder.

message 7: by Jan (new)

My pleasure! 🙂