Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Other
This topic is about The Other
Archive - Group Reads > The Other by Thomas Tryon (no spoilers) - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CMT Moderator (new)

CMT Moderator (cmtmoderator) | 47 comments Hello fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Other by Thomas Tryon, your discussion leader is Jamie.

Please note: No spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.
The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon

Summary

Entranced and terrified, the reader of The Other is swept up in the life of a Connecticut country town in the thirties—and in the fearful mysteries that slowly darken and overwhelm it.

Originally published in 1971, The Other is one of the most influential horror novels ever written. Its impeccable recreation of small-town life and its skillful handling of the theme of personality transference between thirteen-year-old twins led to widespread critical acclaim for the novel, which was successfully filmed from Thomas Tryon's own screenplay.

Portia | 308 comments I have my copy. So glad this book was chosen!

message 3: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 642 comments Mod
Our library has quite a few copies. Have a couple to read before I can join you on this one......happy reading everyone & hopefully I’ll catch up with you at the end of the month.

message 4: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 151 comments Mod
I'll be starting this one soon, very excited to finally read this one that's been on my bookshelf forever!

Beth Buning | 25 comments Just got the book from the library, 60 pages in and enjoying it so far. Creepy!

message 6: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

It took me a bit to get into it but overall a successfully thrilling horror mystery with great twists.

Aditya | 1865 comments Quick question is it horror in the traditional sense as in there are supernatural elements in the narrative or is it psychological horror with the resolution resembling that of a conventional mystery?

Answers would be appreciated if it could be answered without spoilers. If this is a supernatural mystery I will skip it, if it's a psychological one I will try to get a copy of the book.

message 8: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aditya wrote: "Quick question is it horror in the traditional sense as in there are supernatural elements in the narrative or is it psychological horror with the resolution resembling that of a conventional myste..."

Psychological rather than supernatural I would say although there are some hints of supernatural throughout, I wouldn't classify it as such at all.

Aditya | 1865 comments Thanks Jamie, I will try to join the discussion soon.

Aditya | 1865 comments Started reading it, just two chapters in and Tryon's inexperience is showing. His word choice reeks of forced erudition rather than feeling natural for a story that is supposedly being narrated by a kid. Maybe my vocabulary leaves a bit to be desired but words like primogeniture (inheritance), prestidigitation (magic trick) stood out to me as bad choices.