Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Other
This topic is about The Other
Archive - Group Reads > The Other by Thomas Tryon (spoilers permitted) - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CMT Moderator (last edited Apr 09, 2019 11:41AM) (new)

CMT Moderator (cmtmoderator) | 47 comments Hello fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Other by Thomas Tryon, your discussion leader is Jamie.

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon The Other by Thomas Tryon

Summary

Entranced and terrified, the reader of The Other is swept up in the life of a Connecticut country town in the thirties—and in the fearful mysteries that slowly darken and overwhelm it.

Originally published in 1971, The Other is one of the most influential horror novels ever written. Its impeccable recreation of small-town life and its skillful handling of the theme of personality transference between thirteen-year-old twins led to widespread critical acclaim for the novel, which was successfully filmed from Thomas Tryon's own screenplay.

Portia | 308 comments Just finished. And Tom Tryon got me to suck in my teeth near the end. Great job!!!!

Beth Buning | 25 comments Finished here too. I would like to see if there are hints about Hollands death early in the book. I think the first time the cat in the well was mentioned it may have been obvious that Holland died in the incident. What do you think?

message 4: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 152 comments Mod
Did anyone see the "dead twin" reveal coming? I saw it although not too early on. What I did NOT see coming was the baby in the wine barrel, OMG.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1185 comments I watched the movie years ago so I sort of knew what was going to happen. It was nice to see that the movie followed the book quite nicely.

Portia | 308 comments Beth Buning wrote: "Finished here too. I would like to see if there are hints about Hollands death early in the book. I think the first time the cat in the well was mentioned it may have been obvious that Holland died..."

I agree. But ... was Holland the one who died?

Portia | 308 comments Jamie wrote: "Did anyone see the "dead twin" reveal coming? I saw it although not too early on. What I did NOT see coming was the baby in the wine barrel, OMG."

THAT is the moment when I sucked in my teeth. But, as with any well-crafted murder/suspense/horror, the hints were hidden in plain sight. Remember the baby at the carnival?

message 8: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 152 comments Mod
I interpreted it as Holland died but because of Niles's ability to combine his consciousness with others, he took Holland into himself.

Beth Buning | 25 comments Jamie, same here. I returned my copy, or I would re read that first section about the well!

Aditya | 1865 comments Finished it today, am a bit late, anyway did not like it much. I saw the twist coming within the first one-third only, the foreshadowing was too obvious. Rating - 2/5

My biggest problem was Holland does not talk to anybody but Niles, so I knew he was either a figment of Nile's imagination or dead. Others characters referred to him in the past sense, so quickly realized he was dead. The only character Holland interacted with that was not Niles was Mrs. Rowe, the old neighbor next door and the author mentioned out of the blue that she has a weak memory and often confused the twins. It was amateurish plotting to be honest. The twist itself influenced better copycats.

My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...