Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Murder at the Brightwell
Archive - Group Reads > Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames #1) by Ashley Weaver (no spoilers) - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CMT Moderator (new)

CMT Moderator (cmtmoderator) | 47 comments Hello fellow Cozy Mystery readers! This discussion is about Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames #1) by Ashley Weaver, your duscussion leader is Jenny.

Please note: No spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.
Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1) by Ashley Weaver Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver

Summary

Amory Ames is a wealthy young woman who regrets her marriage to her notoriously charming playboy husband, Milo. Looking for a change, she accepts a request for help from her former fiancé, Gil Trent, not knowing that she’ll soon become embroiled in a murder investigation that will test not only her friendship with Gil, but will upset the status quo with her husband.

Amory accompanies Gil to the Brightwell Hotel in an attempt to circumvent the marriage of his sister, Emmeline, to Rupert Howe, a disreputable ladies’ man. Amory sees in the situation a grim reflection of her own floundering marriage. There is more than her happiness at stake, however, when Rupert is murdered and Gil is arrested for the crime. Amory is determined to prove his innocence and find the real killer, despite attempted dissuasion from the disapproving police inspector on the case. Matters are further complicated by Milo’s unexpected arrival, and the two form an uneasy alliance as Amory enlists his reluctant aid in clearing Gil’s name. As the stakes grow higher and the line between friend and foe becomes less clear, Amory must decide where her heart lies and catch the killer before she, too, becomes a victim.

Murder at the Brightwell is a delicious mystery in which murder invades polite society and romance springs in unexpected places. Weaver has penned a debut in the tradition of Jacqueline Winspear.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1422 comments Mod
Checked this out from the library. With my grandson this weekend so will start next week.

message 3: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Icewineanne | 644 comments Mod
Currently reading The Various Haunts of Men. Unfortunately I just started & it’s a long book so I’ll join in around the halfway mark.
Happy reading all 😊

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "Currently reading The Various Haunts of Men. Unfortunately I just started & it’s a long book so I’ll join in around the halfway mark.
Happy reading all 😊"

Let me know your thoughts on this book Icewineanne.

message 5: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Icewineanne | 644 comments Mod
Will do!

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments I started this book today. Great opening chapter! I hope to have it devoured in a week or so. This is my first book discussion with the group! I'm looking forward to it!

Timothy wrote: "I started this book today. Great opening chapter! I hope to have it devoured in a week or so. This is my first book discussion with the group! I'm looking forward to it!"

Hi Timothy. I started it as well. Let's see how things go.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I started this book also, Sheri and Timothy.

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments Hi Jenny & Sheri,

I'm in Chapter 5. Even though this isn't the type of book I would normally find myself reading, I am enjoying it greatly. The wit and humor is superb! Lots of characters to try and keep up with though.

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments I haven't made it through as much as I would have liked so far, but I'm still around halfway. I think the way the characters talk add so much to the time. I thought there was going to be too many characters to keep up with them all, but the author had done a very good job at reminding you who certain characters are throughout the story. I hope to have this finished by the end of the weekend.

I hope to finish this weekend too. I haven’t yet figured out the killer.

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments I have finished the book! I'd be happy to discuss it as others finish it here. I could have used a bit more action, but other than that, it was a good read and I think the author tidied up everything nicely. I still believe the dialogue was the most helpful to bring me into the proper setting.

message 13: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited May 04, 2019 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timothy wrote: "I have finished the book! I'd be happy to discuss it as others finish it here. I could have used a bit more action, but other than that, it was a good read and I think the author tidied up everythi..."

There is another discussion thread where we can openly discuss this book. It's titled spoilers allowed. That way we don't have to worry about letting the cat out of the bag.

Hopefully this is the link https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Suzy (last edited May 12, 2019 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I FINALLY cleared the hold list at the library for this - in audio - and am eager to get started. I've just read two really intense books, so hoping this will serve as a light antidote to those heavier stories.

Suzy wrote: "I FINALLY cleared the hold list at the library for this - in audio - and am eager to get started. I've just read two really intense books, so hoping this will serve as a light antidote to those hea..."

keep us posted on how you like it.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Suzy wrote: "I FINALLY cleared the hold list at the library for this - in audio - and am eager to get started. I've just read two really intense books, so hoping this will serve as a light antidote to those hea..."

Let us know your thoughts on this book, Suzy.

message 17: by Suzy (last edited May 20, 2019 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I'm about 3/4 of the way through the audio and enjoying it. It's classic locked room mystery ala Agatha Christi. It's not a 5-star read for me, but liking it. I'm on a road trip with lots of construction delays, so it's been a perfect companion. I was wondering if this turned into a series and yes, it has 5 books in the Amory Ames series.

message 18: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam (pammykn) | 31 comments I am about half-way through and really enjoying it. I like her setting, era, characters and style of writing ... can see why this was nominated for an award. I am really intrigued by Milo, as much as I want to consider him a cad, I think there is something more to him. I can see myself reading more in the series.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1171 comments I also can see myself reading more from this series.

message 20: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Well, I'm disappointed that my Overdrive loan of this expired and now it's an 11-week wait for another copy. There's a print copy of the book that I just requested from the library so hopefully I can finish before the month is up. I got a cold, otherwise I would have finished!

Are you on the waiting list for the print copy too?

message 22: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Sheri wrote: "Are you on the waiting list for the print copy too?"

No wait list for the print copy! I requested it since I'm out-of-town and it should be at my branch soon.

message 23: by Susan in Perthshire (last edited May 26, 2019 02:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 3 comments I read this when it was first published and found it rather disappointing and I am at a loss to understand the glowing reviews on Goodreads. Reading it again this time did not change my opinion. It's well-researched, but to me, it missed the mark. The characters were undeveloped, the plot was hardly original and the cultural references were poorly done. Quite why an American from Louisiana thought she could authentically reflect this aspect of pre-war English society beats me. It is full of stereotypes and inauthentic references. Attempts to reflect the class-ridden society which held sway in the pre-war period are not well executed and instead, the book uses boring stereotypes that are dismally uninteresting. The only character I found really interesting was Milo and we learned absolutely nothing of real note about him, at all. I found it difficult to like the heroine and btw, where on earth did her name come from? I have never come across anyone here with that given name, I believe it is generally not English usage at all except as a surname and is much more common in the USA. . This is no Agatha Christie but it's an entertaining enough read once you get past the interminable descriptions!

Bicky | 35 comments I tend to agree with Susan.

Susan and Bicky it's no prize winner for sure. But for a light read I thought it was ok. I thought some of the writing was funny. My favorite is "The letter wasn't at all in Milo's style. He would have issued a much more elegant threat on vastly superior stationery.”

Jenny (diggensjenny) This book is not the best cozy mystery I have read. However, it still hit the spot for me. A book that allows me to forget about my day and transport me back into the world of make belief.