Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Murder at the Brightwell
Archive - Group Reads > Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames #1) by Ashley Weaver (spoilers permitted) - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CMT Moderator (last edited Apr 09, 2019 11:23AM) (new)

CMT Moderator (cmtmoderator) | 47 comments Hello fellow Cozy Mystery readers! This discussion is about Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames #1) by Ashley Weaver, your duscussion leader is Jenny.

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1) by Ashley Weaver Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver

Summary

Amory Ames is a wealthy young woman who regrets her marriage to her notoriously charming playboy husband, Milo. Looking for a change, she accepts a request for help from her former fiancé, Gil Trent, not knowing that she’ll soon become embroiled in a murder investigation that will test not only her friendship with Gil, but will upset the status quo with her husband.

Amory accompanies Gil to the Brightwell Hotel in an attempt to circumvent the marriage of his sister, Emmeline, to Rupert Howe, a disreputable ladies’ man. Amory sees in the situation a grim reflection of her own floundering marriage. There is more than her happiness at stake, however, when Rupert is murdered and Gil is arrested for the crime. Amory is determined to prove his innocence and find the real killer, despite attempted dissuasion from the disapproving police inspector on the case. Matters are further complicated by Milo’s unexpected arrival, and the two form an uneasy alliance as Amory enlists his reluctant aid in clearing Gil’s name. As the stakes grow higher and the line between friend and foe becomes less clear, Amory must decide where her heart lies and catch the killer before she, too, becomes a victim.

Murder at the Brightwell is a delicious mystery in which murder invades polite society and romance springs in unexpected places. Weaver has penned a debut in the tradition of Jacqueline Winspear.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1452 comments Mod
Timothy where are you?

It was a sort of enjoyable read but there are so many clichés that I got kind of sick of them. And there are a couple of things I just can't buy... in the era we're supposed to be reading about, I could not really believe that Amory would so blithely throw her reputation to the wind and go on a trip at the invitation of her ex-fiancé. I think a woman's reputation, if ruined, led to all kinds of problems for her. And what in the world was that cigarette case made of for an experienced coroner to think a blunt instrument had caused the fatal injury?

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments True! I did get bogged down with all the convo, but in the end, I didn't guess the murderer correctly. Oh well, I trudged through it well enough. At least, Amory and Milo were able to mend in the end.

I do like Amory but not so much Milo. 🙂 Did you figure out the killer?

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments Oh goodness, no! I had suspected Milo from the beginning. His appearing just didn't set well with me, but in the end, I don't know how I would have come to the correct conclusion. lol, are we the only two people who read this book?

Jenny (diggensjenny) Sheri wrote: "Timothy where are you?

It was a sort of enjoyable read, but there are so many clichés that I got kind of sick of them. And there are a couple of things I just can't buy... in the era we're supposed..."

I agree with you, Sheri. I do not think that gentlemen of the era this book is set in would ask a married woman to help him without the permission of her husband.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I enjoy reading this book. However, I did enjoy the characters. The way Ashley portrayed then did not sit well with me.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Timothy wrote: "Oh goodness, no! I had suspected Milo from the beginning. His appearing just didn't set well with me, but in the end, I don't know how I would have come to the correct conclusion. lol, are we the o..."

No Timothy. In the beginning, I thought the murder was a woman - due to the way the murder victim behaved. However, I did not expect the killer to have a mental illness.

Timothy wrote: "Oh goodness, no! I had suspected Milo from the beginning. His appearing just didn't set well with me, but in the end, I don't know how I would have come to the correct conclusion. lol, are we the o..."

I think other people are reading too. They will chime in sooner or later probably with a review once they're finished. It took me a while to get use to this type of discussion too SO I'm glad you're here because I like to discuss while I'm reading.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Thanks, Sheri and Timothy for joining me in the discussing of this book.

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments Absolutely! My pleasure.

Bicky | 35 comments Jenny wrote: "Sheri wrote: "Timothy where are you?

It was a sort of enjoyable read, but there are so many clichés that I got kind of sick of them. And there are a couple of things I just can't buy... in the era..."

I think the upper classes are not as bound by conventional morality as the rest of us. Apparently, by the 1930s when people who were having affairs visited country homes, they were given neighbouring rooms - the tiptoeing was minimized!

And morality was re-established in the end with Amory & Milo reconfirming their vows.

Somehow I still enjoyed it despite the cliches and there were lot of them.

Did anyone think Milo was the killer?

Bicky | 35 comments How could Milo be the killer when Amory and he had to end up together?

I meant was Milo a suspect to you. He was to Amory.

Bicky | 35 comments No, he was not.

Bicky | 35 comments I meant I never considered him a suspect, always a red herring. Milo, as portrayed by the author, would never have thought it worth his while to kill Rupert.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I never thought Milo was a killer. I also thought the murder had to be a woman! I agree with Bicky; Milo was a red herring a good way for the author to send her readers on a wild goose chase.

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments I admit, I thought Milo was the killer. I wasn't sure at the bathroom scene, but still suspected him since he left the closet earlier than Amory.

Timothy Moonlight | 14 comments Did anyone suspect the correct person as the killer?

No, didn’t even consider Mrs. Hamilton. I didn’t suspect Milo either. I didn’t have an idea.

Do we think Milo will really change his ways?

Jenny (diggensjenny) Timothy wrote: "Did anyone suspect the correct person as the killer?"

Timothy, I didn't have any idea who the killer was.

Bicky | 35 comments I started considering Mrs. Hamilton as a suspect only when she was portrayed as free and laughing in Milo's company. If with Milo, then perhaps with Rupert too. After all Rupert is shown as a cheaper version of Milo.

message 25: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited May 11, 2019 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is one of my favorite quotes.

“The letter wasn't at all in Milo's style. He would have issued a much more elegant threat on vastly superior stationery.”

My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Jenny (diggensjenny) Sheri wrote: "This is one of my favorite quotes.

“The letter wasn't at all in Milo's style. He would have issued a much more elegant threat on vastly superior stationery.”

My review https://www.goodreads.com/r..."

Thank you Sheri for fantastic review.

message 27: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Hi all - I finally finished this last night. 75% audio and 25% print. I enjoyed it - a light mystery with some fun elements to it. I did not guess the murderer and like some I was mislead into suspecting Milo for a moment. I'm glad to have read this along with the group, I enjoyed it, but don't think I'll go forward with other books in the series. Too many other series to catch up on!!

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1184 comments I also liked this as a cozy and I can see myself reading more for light reading.

Kimberly Reads Books (kimberlyreadsbooks) Timothy wrote: "I admit, I thought Milo was the killer. I wasn't sure at the bathroom scene, but still suspected him since he left the closet earlier than Amory."

The bathroom scene really had me wondering about Milo, as well. I thought it gave him time to do the killing.

I didn't guess the killer, so that put this series ahead of some others I've read. The author did a great job with all the red herrings. I'll definitely read another from this series. I will agree with others that I felt the book didn't have a real feel for the time period, but I felt it was more in how they spoke. You don't want the author to go overboard on adding in outdated phrases, but a few of them would have added to the setting of that era.