Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4) by Louise Penny - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CMT Moderator (last edited Apr 09, 2019 11:03AM) (new)

CMT Moderator (cmtmoderator) | 47 comments Hello fellow Louise Penny readers! This discussion is about (A Rule Against Murder a.k.a. The Murder Stone (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4), your discussion leader is Sheri.

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4) by Louise Penny A Rule Against Murder (Armand Gamache, #4) by Louise Penny The Murder Stone by Louise Penny The Murder Stone (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4) by Louise Penny A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

Summary

"What happened here last night isn't allowed," said Madame Dubois.
It was such an extraordinary thing to say it stopped the ravenous Inspector Beauvoir from taking another bite of his roast beef on baguette.

"You have a rule against murder?" he asked.

"I do. When my husband and I bought the Bellechasse we made a pact....Everything that stepped foot on this land would be safe."

It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn not far from the village of Three Pines. But they're not alone. The Finney family—rich, cultured, and respectable—has also arrived for a celebration of their own.

The beautiful Manoir Bellechasse might be surrounded by nature, but there is something unnatural looming. As the heat rises and the humidity closes in, some surprising guests turn up at the family reunion, and a terrible summer storm leaves behind a dead body. It is up to Chief Inspector Gamache to unearth secrets long buried and hatreds hidden behind polite smiles. The chase takes him to Three Pines, into the dark corners of his own life, and finally to a harrowing climax.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1422 comments Mod
Who would like to go with me on holiday with Chief Inspector Gamache and his lovey wife? Calling a vacation a holiday is so fancy.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I would like to go, Sheri!

message 4: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments It took us a while to get used to people in England saying they were “going on holiday” when they were talking about what we call vacation. What Americans think of as “legal holidays”, like Memorial Day, are “bank holidays” - roughly the same number and timing. Except, of course, for Independence Day.

I would gladly spend down time, whatever you call it, with Armand and Reine Marie!

Even the mailman likes Three Pines. I miss real mail.

message 7: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments Sheri wrote: "A video from Louise Penny

https://youtu.be/CKtXK2ePGxY"

Thanks for sharing, Sheri. Somehow it's not surprising that Louise Penny has created the Gamache's. She seems to share their pleasant, inviting, curious manner.

message 8: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments I've just started my re-read (or re-listen, more accurately) and I find myself longing for my own stay at the Manoir Bellechase. Idle days in a lovely setting with books and walks in the woods and time to unwind. Aaah...

I found this tidbit about our book and thought it interesting.

http://www.gamacheseries.com/cultural...

message 10: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments Sheri wrote: "I found this tidbit about our book and thought it interesting.

http://www.gamacheseries.com/cultural..."

Thanks for sharing. Isn’t it true that in Penny’s books the *perception* of good vs bad is always a driving force? It can be such a thin line between the two, so often defined by how we perceive and internalize events. Over the course of the books the challenges that dilemma presents affect almost every principal character.

I think that's true in real life too. Sometimes what's meant for good or no harm another person will take as bad or intentionally meaning harm and vice versa.

message 12: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments I’ve just finished my re-listen. Ralph Cosham, the reader of the first dozen or so books, was an absolute treasure. The current narrator, I think his name is Bathurst, isn’t bad, but Cosham was just amazing.

And a Penny, of course, continues to enchant me with her explorations of human nature. No matter the setting or plot intricacies, she demonstrates the potential for good and bad in everyone.

message 13: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited May 10, 2019 09:41AM) (new)

FYI This book was the first in the series to make the New York Times Bestseller List.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Sheri wrote: "FYI This book was the first in the series to make the New York Times Bestseller List."

I can see why Sheri. Lousie Penny certainly hit a new high in this book. I am halfway through the book, and I am loving it.

Any favorite quotes?

“You can’t get milk from a hardware store.”

message 16: by PattyMacDotComma (last edited May 14, 2019 05:38PM) (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 155 comments I loved revisiting Three Pines when I read this a few months ago! I did review it and included the name of the place that she says this vacation spot is based on.

I also included a link to an article about her late husband, upon whom she said she realised only later was the real Armand Gamache. I'm so glad she continued writing about "our" Gamache.
Link to my review

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I loved revisiting Three Pines when I read this a few months ago! I did review it and included the name of the place that she says this vacation spot is based on.

I also included a link to an arti..."

Patty, what was your favourite part of this book?

Nice review PattyMacDotComma.

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) My quote - "Not the truth about others that will set you free, but the truth about yourself"

message 20: by Jenny (last edited May 19, 2019 05:08PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) A Rule Against Murder is a fantastic book to read. For me, in A Rule Against Murder, Louise Penny made the MC's more real and engaging for me, especially by including his family history and Armand's wife Reine-Marie. The previous books in this series started real slow, and it took me a while before I engaged with the plot. However, A Rule Against Murder for me, I was involved from the beginning of the book, and I was unable to put it down.

Jenny, that's a great quote and very true.

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Thanks, Sheri :)

message 23: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 155 comments Jenny wrote: "PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I loved revisiting Three Pines when I read this a few months ago! I did review it and included the name of the place that she says this vacation spot is based on.

Patty, what was your favourite part of this book?."

Jenny, I think I really enjoyed the terrible stuffiness and snobbery of the dreadful Morrow family. Penny caught that well, and it played beautifully against the warm relationship the Gamaches have with each other (and other people). I don't enjoy the background politicking that goes one in Gamache's headquarters so much.

message 24: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 155 comments Sheri wrote: "Nice review PattyMacDotComma."

Thanks for that, Sheri - nice book!

I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to get back to Three Pines. I miss the Bistro.

message 26: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1229 comments Mod
Once again I'm behind... I started this book yesterday.

Love you Gem😊💕

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I agree Sheri!

message 29: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1229 comments Mod
Thank you, ladies. I'm trying to catchup...

message 30: by Christy (new)

Christy Ritchie | 1 comments I just got to this book! I'm fairly new to Louise Penny. I had the hardcopy ready but the audio book popped out of hold. I'm on chapter 3 and may switch to the paper copy. I like to savor the books and re-read short passages. Especially when Myrna starts sharing tidbits!

Christy wrote: "I just got to this book! I'm fairly new to Louise Penny. I had the hardcopy ready but the audio book popped out of hold. I'm on chapter 3 and may switch to the paper copy. I like to savor the books..."

These books have wonderful quotes that you may want to re-read.

message 32: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments I’ve been very slowly re-reading this, mostly short snatches in the car. I remember parts of it, and though I recall that it’s kind of sad, it’s still a comfort to revisit a Three Pines when I need centering within the current chaos of my life.

I have a few friends from Peru and they talk about their village life there. They walked almost everywhere they went. Bought their food at the market each day. Kind of like Three Pines living. I think I'd like it.

message 34: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1229 comments Mod
I know I'm pulling up the rear here, but I just got to the death (I assume it's a murder). This book seems a little slower than the previous ones, I hope it will pick up some now.

message 35: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1229 comments Mod
I finished! I have to admit this was my least favorite book so far. I think I missed Three Pines and the locals.

I agree about missing Three Pines. I was ready to get back home 😁

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Gem wrote: "I finished! I have to admit this was my least favorite book so far. I think I missed Three Pines and the locals."

I agree, Gem.

message 38: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 645 comments Mod
Might be the odd one out but I really enjoyed the lodge/resort setting. It was very interesting to learn about Peter’s dysfunctional family, plus get a hint of what may lie ahead for Clara & Peter.