NYRB Classics discussion

General > What is the ALL TIME best NYRB Classic?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (last edited Apr 09, 2019 10:00AM) (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Let's make our own "Best of the Best" list. Please either vote for, or write in, the book (just one) that you feel is the BEST book published by NYRB Classics. The poll will be open all month. It will close on April 30th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 2: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments This is impossible! I’ll go with the one I have reread 3 times.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Adams (kadams22) | 20 comments Wow, this is going to be tough. Don't be mad at me but...

Fiction: Totempole
Non-Fiction: An African in Greenland

Sorry for the write-ins and the fiction/non-fiction.

message 5: by Louise (new)

This may have been a mistake. My TBR mountain is growing again....

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetevans) | 63 comments I’m going to stick with one of the books listed, High Wind in Jamaica, a truly spell-binding story I reviewed long ago and would reference if I knew how on this app. In any case as I wrote in my review , few writers know how to enter a child’s mind as does Hughes, and for that he should be read.

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetevans) | 63 comments Can I just add that I tried to read seven men and failed? Me , who soldiered valiantly through Berlin Alexanderplatz? Not sure how that one got nominated... but to each his own...!

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 127 comments The Skin by Curzio Malaparte, maybe tied with The Doll.

message 9: by Mirko (new)

Mirko | 77 comments I really like the idea of creating our own Best of the Best list!

Lobstergirl wrote: "The Skin by Curzio Malaparte, maybe tied with The Doll."

I haven't read either of the books yet but both sounds quite good. I have read Curzio Malaparte's Kaputt which I found to be quite a good read.

My TBR is growing.... :)

message 10: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 24 comments I think Life and Fate shades it.

Others that narrowly missed out: The Door, The Summer Book, The Singapore Grip, Journey by Moonlight, Butchers Crossing, A Month in the Country

message 11: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
For those interested, we do have a thread called "Dynamic Top Ten," and the intent there is for folks to go in, make a top ten list, and then, as time goes on, edit that list (hence "dynamic"). You can find it here. The idea is to keep this a thread of top tens and nothing else, but as you can see some discussion has seeped in.

message 12: by Louise (new)

Oh how fun! I will go create my own Dynamic Top Ten although I am not sure if I have 10 to list yet.