Slytherin Common Room discussion

General Discussion > What book/s are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Anderko | 6 comments Mod
I am currently reading the "Parable of the Talents" by Octavia Butler, but it is dark and all too real right now, so I am balancing it out with some pre-Tudor-era historical fiction about Richard III, because apparently that is less depressing!

message 2: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments i just finished reading a book in the time-life book "enchanted world" series. this one was about dragons and i have many more, they are so awesome, i love it.

message 3: by Missy (new)

Missy MacGibbon | 1 comments Not the most riveting plot, but Jeff Galloway’s “Half Marathon Training for Women”. It’s an easy read, formatted well, and includes everything you need to know about distance running.

Next up. “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” before my vacation to Savannah, GA

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 4 comments Whereas I’m being a total dork and reading the second in the Palliser Series by Anthony Trollope... Phineas Finn. Can you tell I’m a SlytherClaw? 🤣🤣🤣

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nightspeaks) | 2 comments Finishing up Vicious, by V.E. Schwab. Total slytherin read!

message 6: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (cenobytia) | 3 comments Just started “The Priory of the Orange Tree”. Only 750 pages to go... 😆

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1 comments I'm actively reading The Centurion's Wife about the aftermath of Christ's death and resurrection.

And for a mood whiplash, I'm also reading The Angel of Darkness about a serial killer at the turn of the 20th Century.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Champion-Lyons | 4 comments Currently re-reading A Storm of Swords waiting for my next audible credit!

message 9: by Lea (new)

Lea  Wilbur | 11 comments I'm currently reading Beartown by Fredrik Backman on my kindle, The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters (the third in the Amelia Peabody series) as a physical book and I'm listening to The thousand names by Django Wexler on audible. My New Years resolution this year is to read a book a week and the theme is all books that have been recommended to me. I like all types of books, so if anyone has a recommendation I'll gladly take it!

message 10: by Savana Ayala (new)

Savana Ayala (savanaayala) | 1 comments I’m currently read A Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue. I am still on the first chapter and honestly have no idea what to expect since it is a LGBT open topic and that’s not something I am used to seeing in YA lit and I am excited I found this at the library. So far the writing is hilarious from the protagonists prospective. I love that dry, sarcastic humor.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Anderko | 6 comments Mod
Lea Wilbur wrote: "I'm currently reading Beartown by Fredrik Backman on my kindle, The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters (the third in the Amelia Peabody series) as a physical book and I'm listening to The thousand name..."

A book a week! Wow! Here I thought I was killing it having read 6 books so far this year lol

message 12: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments Lea Wilbur wrote: "I'm currently reading Beartown by Fredrik Backman on my kindle, The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters (the third in the Amelia Peabody series) as a physical book and I'm listening to The thousand name..."

if you are ok with fantasy, then terry pratchett is what i recommend. it's of course fantasy, but with a not very complicated world, and with lots of humour. i love it :)

message 13: by Lea (new)

Lea  Wilbur | 11 comments I do love Terry Pratchett. I got introduced to him by reading Good Omens, but then I read the first of the disc world books and really enjoyed it. The entire series is on my TBR list. I started reading NPR's list of the top 100 sci fi/fantasy novels of all time (which turned out to be actually somewhere around 380 books because they counted series as one book vs choosing one book out of each series) and disc world is on it.

message 14: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (ladysnape394) | 2 comments I’m currently reading Blameless by Gail Carriger and Critical Failures 1 by Robert Bevans.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments I’m currently reading The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden and Bay of Sighs by Nora Roberts. I just finished listening to One Year After by William Forstchen and started The Sum of All Kisses by Julia Quinn. I’m trying to switch to lighter reading for a bit :)

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments Also, how do you respond to someone’s comment?

message 17: by Lea (new)

Lea  Wilbur | 11 comments Lisa wrote: "Also, how do you respond to someone’s comment?"

there's a little button on the bottom right of each comment that says "reply/flag" you just click the little reply button :)

message 18: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments I'm reading now a collection of fairytales from Hans Kristian Andersen. they are often quite sad, too, and with some religious background. but I like how he animates everything, items and animals talk etc.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Champion-Lyons | 4 comments I finished World of Ice and Fire recently and now I have started Fire and Blood. They both read like history books but are way more interesting than any school history book!

message 20: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (cenobytia) | 3 comments Just finished VE Schwab’s ‘Vicious’ after seeing it on here - can’t work out how to tag or reply on the app, but thank you for recommendation! V enjoyable 😀

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nightspeaks) | 2 comments Charlie wrote: "Just finished VE Schwab’s ‘Vicious’ after seeing it on here - can’t work out how to tag or reply on the app, but thank you for recommendation! V enjoyable 😀"

I'm glad you liked it! I'm partway throught the sequel (Vengeful) now. :)

message 22: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments I'm reading "mystic" by Alyssa Noel. I'm not really impressed by this series, it's all a bit rushed and so over the top but ok. sometimes I just need some supernatural teenage literature haha

message 23: by Lea (new)

Lea  Wilbur | 11 comments Lady Belinda wrote: "I’m currently reading Blameless by Gail Carriger and Critical Failures 1 by Robert Bevans."

If you like Gail Carriger, you should try her Custard Protocol series. It's about Alexia Tarabotti's daughter, so you should probably finish that series first, but it's worth a read.

message 24: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments now I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Darwin's watch. I love Pratchett but this book is very different. it's basically a small story involving discworld and our roundworld, interrupted by essays on evolution theory. I'm not a fan of these interruptions, although the topic is very interesting.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 4 comments Just finished a new book on foot pain relief by Katy Bowman “Simple Steps to Foot Pain Relief” I highly recommend this!!!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 26: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments i started reading the bane chronicles by Cassandra Clare. I've read some of the Shadowhunter series and I liked it! this one is quite different since it's small stories with co-writers. let's see how I like it..

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Champion-Lyons | 4 comments Has anyone read/listened to the Artemis Fowl series? I’m on the 4th book and I am getting major Umbridge vibes from Sool. Even the narrator makes him sound like Umbridge!

message 28: by Lea (new)

Lea  Wilbur | 11 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Has anyone read/listened to the Artemis Fowl series? I’m on the 4th book and I am getting major Umbridge vibes from Sool. Even the narrator makes him sound like Umbridge!"

I did read the Artemis fowl series when I was a kid. It was one of my favorites growing up, but I only read up to book three (I didn't know it kept going after that). But I re-read the first one a few weeks ago and put the next two on my hold list at my local library. I had to refresh my memory before I watch the Artemis Fowl movie that just came out on Disney Plus. Once I get to the Sool parts, I'll have to look at them with my Umbridge glasses on lol.

message 29: by Katrin (new)

Katrin (handsonstance) | 15 comments I'm reading right now kunkku, a Finnish satire that plays in an alternative universe where Finland has its own monarchy and is a quite powerful country in the world's politics. it's funny, but it drags on too long and the fine line between being geniously witty and being over-the-top ridiculous is sometimes crossed, haha.