What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fantasy (2007 or Earlier) Protag must find friend in fantasy realm before his soul is lost forever at a festival

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalynn (new)

Kalynn Smith (kalynnas) | 5 comments I have tried for YEARS to find this book on my own. I read it between Aug 2006 - May 2007 It was at my middle school library. I think it was modern, so it was probably published before 2000

I vaguely remember a tree being on the cover?

Its about a female(?) protagonist whose (male?) friend goes missing and she looks for him by going to this tree bat night and she gets transported to the fantasy world. She has to find him while he's in a catatonic state and being led to this festival thing by faeries(?) and if he dances there at night, his soul will be lost forever.

I remember there being mermaids in it at some point and there's a really important tree? The characters are between 11 - 18, if I remember correctly.

Thank you a million times over. I've had luck finding most of my favorite childhood books except this one!

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15754 comments Someone is looking for a similar book here....

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Might want to check out the suggestions!

message 3: by Kalynn (new)

Kalynn Smith (kalynnas) | 5 comments I didn’t see anything that really lined up with the full plot.

I did remember that I believe the female protagonist is upset that her male friend is gone and everyone says he died, but she “knows” or “has a feeling” that he’s still alive and that’s why she looks for him by the tree and goes on the quest.

message 4: by Kalynn (new)

Kalynn Smith (kalynnas) | 5 comments Bumping up!

message 5: by Kokomomomo (new)

Kokomomomo | 62 comments Kalynn wrote: " She has to find him while he's in a catatonic state and being led to this festival thing by faeries(?) and if he dances there at night, his soul will be lost forever."

These are main elements of the ballad of Tam Lin, so you might have some luck searching the Tam Lin related lists here.

Bryn (Plus Others) (brynplusplus) | 186 comments As Verena says, it sounds like a Tam Lin version, so -- a long shot, but perhaps Thursday by Catherine Storr? It has been a long time since I read it and I don't remember mermaids, but the part about the dancing sounds very familiar.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15754 comments Still looking, Kalynn?

message 8: by Kalynn (new)

Kalynn Smith (kalynnas) | 5 comments Yes! I bought a copy of Thursday, but it didn’t seem to be it. The book I’m looking for DEFINITELY had mermaids in it though because I did a book project on it and a classmate flipped because my mermaid pictures did not have shell bras!

I also definitely remember there being a tree of high importance.

And I think maybe it starts with her not believing her friend is dead?? Or missing??? This part I’m not too sure on.

Thank you very much for the follow up!!

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 397 comments This sounds like it could be The Leap

message 10: by Kalynn (new)

Kalynn Smith (kalynnas) | 5 comments Thank you so much!! I think it was The Leap!! I’m getting a copy soon and I will update if it is the right one! From the descriptions of the book, it sounds correct!

Thank you a million times over!