75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Doctor Sleep
This topic is about Doctor Sleep
31 views
Book Buddies > Doctor Sleep (The Shining #2) by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
We'll be reading Doctor Sleep sometime in May!


message 2: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I cannot wait!


message 3: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments I’m ready! I’m hoping to start early in the month personally. My current goal for the rest of April is to finish my current reads.


message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
I'm shooting to start May 4-ish. I've got a slew of books to read by the end of April and now I want to fit The Shining in, my Overdrive hold should be coming in any day now.


Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments Elyse wrote: "I'm shooting to start May 4-ish. I've got a slew of books to read by the end of April and now I want to fit The Shining in, my Overdrive hold should be coming in any day now."

Having read both, I would recommend against reading The Shining and Doctor Sleep back-to-back. Doctor Sleep has a completely different feel and it was a little jarring.


message 6: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Stacie wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I'm shooting to start May 4-ish. I've got a slew of books to read by the end of April and now I want to fit The Shining in, my Overdrive hold should be coming in any day now."

Having..."


You just made me way more excited about Doctor Sleep!!!!


Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1362 comments I would like to join in on this, but e-reading is so much more convenient right now (much easier to hold a tablet with one hand while nursing or holding the little one) and my library doesn't have an e-copy. Hmm, maybe in a few weeks I'll be ready for physical books again.


message 8: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Oh that blows, Charleen. Enjoy your little one though! Books can wait :)


message 9: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
Charleen wrote: "I would like to join in on this, but e-reading is so much more convenient right now (much easier to hold a tablet with one hand while nursing or holding the little one) and my library doesn't have ..."

Hope you can join us! No rush, you can always jump in later on even if we've finished it and we can still discuss it! :)


 Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 178 comments I adored Doctor Sleep! I did read them back to back when Doctor Sleep was released, a reread of The Shining and then Doctor Sleep.


Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1362 comments I have read it before, so I might jump into discussions based on what I remember. It's definitely one I'll re-read though, either now or when I can.


message 12: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Charleen wrote: "I have read it before, so I might jump into discussions based on what I remember. It's definitely one I'll re-read though, either now or when I can."

Lovely!!!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I am next on the library copy, so I am hoping I can start this soon!


message 13: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Picked up my library copy today, so I'm gonna be ready!


message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
I will not be starting this May 4. I'll jump in whenever I get to it.


message 15: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I still do not have my library copy. :( I've been in the #1 spot for weeks it seems.


message 16: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments I have a couple of books left from April that I haven’t finished yet so I won’t be able to start this until I’m done reading those first.


message 17: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I won't be starting yet either. I am still in queue position 1 for this. I have been there for weeks. I don't know what's going on but I am getting frustrated.


message 18: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
Gooood. Gives me more time to get other books read. lol.


message 19: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Gooood. Gives me more time to get other books read. lol."

Lol. The problems of bookish people ;)


message 20: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments I should be able to start this and 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by the end of the week. I should be done The Fallen Kingdom by then.


message 21: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "I should be able to start this and 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by the end of the week. I should be done The Fallen Kingdom by then."

I wonderful thing just happened, my copy for this just came through. It's not a kindle copy, so I need to swing by the library tomorrow to pick it up. I hope to start over the weekend.


message 22: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
When is everyone starting? I'm thinking I'll start tomorrow.


message 23: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Juli wrote: "When is everyone starting? I'm thinking I'll start tomorrow."

I don’t have a date yet for this one, but hopefully by Monday.


message 24: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
I never got around to reading The Shining again, my Overdrive expired. Haven't decided if I still want to re-read or not but I think I still do. So I'll catch up on this thread later in the month.


message 25: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "I never got around to reading The Shining again, my Overdrive expired. Haven't decided if I still want to re-read or not but I think I still do. So I'll catch up on this thread later in the month."

I am not sure you need to re-read The Shining. My friends have a podcast The Year of King and they discuss The Shining in one episode, you could listen to this for a refresher :). The episodes are like 20 minutes each.


message 26: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "When is everyone starting? I'm thinking I'll start tomorrow."

I don’t have a date yet for this one, but hopefully by Monday."


@Shelby, I think I am pushing this one back a few days to read The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle instead with y'all. I am also reading Jane Eyre with Carol.


message 27: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "When is everyone starting? I'm thinking I'll start tomorrow."

I don’t have a date yet for this one, but hopefully by Monday."

@Shelby, I think I am pushing this one ba..."


I’m pretty sure this and Evelyn Hardcastle will take me at least the first half of the month so I might read a bit ahead but you guys will probably catch up well before I’m done.


message 28: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "When is everyone starting? I'm thinking I'll start tomorrow."

I don’t have a date yet for this one, but hopefully by Monday."

@Shelby, I think I am pushin..."


Hahaha, maybe. I just found myself totally getting into Janey Eyre. I thought that one would be a slow, month-long read, but I am not so sure anymore. All well laid plans are slowly falling apart ;)


message 29: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Planning to start tonight!


message 30: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Planning to start tonight!"

Go, Shelby!


message 31: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Finished the first chapter yesterday!


message 32: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Finished the first chapter yesterday!"

Nice!


message 33: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Just read up to part one today. Not sure what I think yet.


message 34: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Just read up to part one today. Not sure what I think yet."

I am with ya. I am a bit disappointed in the writing so far. Usually, King does better imo. But then I am only like 30 pages in, so that isn't saying much.


message 35: by Shelby (last edited May 09, 2019 11:08PM) (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Made it to page 76. I'm liking it more now.

There's been some clever parallels to The Shining in the past few pages.


message 36: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Good to know! I'll be reading more this weekend.


message 37: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Was sitting in the doctor's office this morning for a while, but thankfully I thought to bring my book. Just made it to page 99.


message 38: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Yay, Shelby!!!!


message 39: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I'm past halfway through and it just doesn't read like a horror novel. I don't know why but it seems like YA dark fantasy to me. What is everyone else thinking about far?


message 40: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments So I only just now realized that the face on the cover is wearing a hat.


message 41: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments I spent most of today reading this book and I managed to get to the end of part two. Not quite as much as I wanted to get, but I'm still much farther than I was before.


message 42: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Juli wrote: "I'm past halfway through and it just doesn't read like a horror novel. I don't know why but it seems like YA dark fantasy to me. What is everyone else thinking about far?"

There are horror elements, like in a lot of Stephen King, but I didn't get YA. It just reads very much like the newer Stephen King books to me.


message 43: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Switched to the audiobook for now. It's narrated by the same person who did the Bill Hodges trilogy books, and it's giving me flashbacks.


message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Switched to the audiobook for now. It's narrated by the same person who did the Bill Hodges trilogy books, and it's giving me flashbacks."

I just don't care for Will Patton's narrations and he does most of King's audiobooks.


message 45: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Elyse wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Switched to the audiobook for now. It's narrated by the same person who did the Bill Hodges trilogy books, and it's giving me flashbacks."

I just don't care for Will Patton's narrat..."


He's done a bunch of the later ones. I was looking on GR.


message 46: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Suderman | 1666 comments Just finished it.

It was okay. It held my attention for a lot longer than a lot of the later King novels, but beyond that. . .

I will say that King needs to find some sensitivity readers when it comes to writing asexual spectrum and sex-indifferent and/or repulsed characters because ho boy. He seems to be aware we exist and trying to a certain extent, even going so far as to use the word itself, which is more than I’ve seen for most writers who’ve been around a long time, but it seems like he either can’t grasp it or can’t commit to it and I’ve yet to see a positive or non-problematic take in his books. This one was a little rough.


message 47: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "I'm past halfway through and it just doesn't read like a horror novel. I don't know why but it seems like YA dark fantasy to me. What is everyone else thinking about far?"

There are h..."


Interesting. I think The Outsider reads so differently from this. It feels YA to me because of Abra I think. I can't really explain it. I also don't care about any of the characters really. I often feel like that with YA.


message 48: by Juli, Moderator (last edited May 21, 2019 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Just finished it.

It was okay. It held my attention for a lot longer than a lot of the later King novels, but beyond that. . .

I will say that King needs to find some sensitivity readers when it ..."


It's interesting that he struggles with this as I often feel he is quite excellent at tackling more sensitive subjects.


message 49: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7447 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Just finished it.

It was okay. It held my attention for a lot longer than a lot of the later King novels, but beyond that. . .

I will say that King needs to find some sensitivity readers when it ..."


I do think he doesn't know what to do/doesn't understand but is also trying out the whole inclusivity thing, I guess. I mean, if you don't fully grasp something then don't include it until you educate yourself so you don't get it wrong!

On the same note, I found this list, is there really only 8 books?
https://www.themarysue.com/books-with...


message 50: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Just finished it.

It was okay. It held my attention for a lot longer than a lot of the later King novels, but beyond that. . .

I will say that King needs to find some sensitivity readers when it ..."


Shelby, could you explain how he could've done this better? I'd like to understand :)


« previous 1
back to top