Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Dystopia/Apocalyptic: Biblical or Not

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 500 comments Mod
The main type of Christian speculative fiction I read growing up was a mix of apocalyptic and dystopian based off of the Christian premillinial point of view (and often dispensational as well). It makes great fiction, but do you think it makes sense for Christians to have such a pesimistic view of the future? Have you read any Christion fiction with a post-millineal or amillinial perspective?

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
I'm not a big fan of "end times" fiction. In fact, I never read any of the Left Behind series because, hearing tidbits from others, it was just plain bad theology. Of course, that's a statement of opinion.

I personally think a partial preterit position best reflects the NT teachings on Jesus' promise to return before that generation passed away. That said, I do believe there will be a future, final return of Jesus. However, I think there is little directly stated in Scripture that will allow us to know when it is coming - you know, like a thief in the night.

With all that in mind, I do think apocalyptic and dystopian fiction is pessimistic if it is presented in such a way that people think Christians believe the world will be THAT way in the future. If it is written as fiction and not as a prophetic end times scenario, that is a little different.

I read Beyond the Event Horizon by Scott McElhaney last year. It involves time travel and an "end times"scenario. I don't know that the author really defined his eschatology in the book. You could definitely call it post-apocalyptic. It was a fascinating read!

I hope these ramblings make sense. It was a stream of consciousness reply.

message 3: by Stoney (new)

Stoney deGeyter | 134 comments I think any Christian fiction that explores biblical end-time events can be worthwhile, so long as we understand its fiction. I read most of the Left Behind series. I stopped when I thought I had read the last book and realized there were more. Sigh. A good idea gone too far.

But the role of spec fiction is to engage the mind's "what if" sensors. I think Jesus did that a lot, especially for his time. The Bible itself leaves a lot unclear which gives plenty of room for fiction writers like us to take and try new things with.

My book has a hint of post-apocalypse that wouldn't fit into any biblical scenario but also has Christian characters. They do little to try to explain the events from a biblical perspective and instead simply trust that God knows what he's doing and we need to stop trying to put Him in a box to fit our own interpretations.

message 4: by Smaug (new)

Smaug the Unmerciful Editor (goodreadscomsupremedrake) | 28 comments I haven't read any Christian Post-Apocalyptics but there was one book, Hunter (I realize that is a really vague title) where the Christers (as they were called in there) set of all the atomic bombs to usher the Rapture on. It was sort of disrespectful, as you can imagine, but the concept of the rest of the story was interesting.

I think that a Revelation-following book would be good, sort of like a WWII-style (because WWII was really close to the Revelation with the three leaders and such), mainly because WWII is fascinating and it would be unique.

However, lots of stories have a smidge of Post-Apocalyptic in them, Breath of the Wild, for instance. (I know that's a video game, but the story is still awesome.)

message 5: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 500 comments Mod
I think a WWII style novel following the book of Revelation is a great idea. My grandmother once told me that everyone thought the Lord would be coming back during the war. It would take some creativity to pull off since we know he didn't return at that time. Still, it gives me some ideas.

message 6: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Lara wrote: "I think a WWII style novel following the book of Revelation is a great idea. My grandmother once told me that everyone thought the Lord would be coming back during the war. It would take some creat..."

Alternate outcomes - What-if stories. There's potential there! You don't even have to follow actual events and outcomes beyond establishing the initial scenario! Once you start moving from historical into alternate history the story is as wide open as you want to make it. Imagine about halfway through the war the rapture taking place and all Christians being gone. What's left on each side of the lines? Scary!

message 7: by Glen (new)

Glen Robinson (glenchen) | 130 comments I wrote a book that was my version of Pilgrim's Progress set in a post-nuclear-war America. It followed a teenaged girl traveling across the country looking for her father. Got mixed reviews. People either thought it was either too religious or not religious enough. That's part of the problem with mixing genres.

Alternate history Christian stories sound intriguing. If the theory of multiple universes were to be true, that would suggest that Jesus Christ would have to die multiple times in multiple ways--or that in some situations there were Earths that didn't fall. Interesting idea.

message 8: by John (new)

John Sellers | 11 comments I've written a Dystopian/End Times novel, Half Hour of Silence, the first in a series of books. It is premillennial but instead of a Pre-rapture, mine is post rapture, where Christians must live through the refiner's fire of the tribulations. Even though it recounts the events as foretold by John The Revelator, it tells the story of average people overcoming great difficulty amidst the last battle between God and Satan. I have a synopsis and character interviews on my Kickstarter page if your interested in reading about it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beyond the Event Horizon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott McElhaney (other topics)