Classical music lovers discussion

Fryderyk Chopin

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Florita (last edited Mar 17, 2008 08:18AM) (new)

Florita (ms_rita) | 220 comments Mod
A very potted biography:

Born in Poland to French father and Polish mother, 1810. Child prodigy at age of seven, by which time he had already written two polonaises.

After studying music from 1823, he travelled in Europe. Works composed between 1826 and 1830 include the concertos for piano and orchestra in F minor and E minor; the first nocturnes, etudes, waltzes and mazurkas.

Chopin settled as an exile in Paris in 1831, where he came to number among his friends Liszt, Mendelssohn and Berlioz.

He had two ultimately unhappy relationships in his life, one with family friend Maria Wodzinski and the other with the French writer George Sand. However, he did spend some happy years with Sand, during which time he wrote much of his best work, including the 24 Preludes and the Polonaise in C minor, despite bouts of illness.

Chopin suffered with bad nerves and poor health for most of his life and died of tuberculosis in 1849.

Source: The Frederyk Chopin Society of Warsaw.

Less (but still somewhat) potted version and link to detailed text at

http://www.brightcecilia.com/forum/sh...

message 2: by Héctor (last edited Mar 10, 2008 04:23PM) (new)

message 3: by Héctor (last edited Mar 20, 2008 02:05AM) (new)

Héctor An argentine pianist:

Martha Argerich - Polonaise Nº6

message 4: by Florita (new)

Oh yes. Absolutely fantastic!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

One of the first pieces I listened to was his sonata in Bb minor. Except I ran out of tape whilst recording it, and it was about two years before I discovered its third movement was the famous funeral march!

Great composer.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieking) | 7 comments James you made me laugh out loud with your lovely comment! I agree he is a great composer!

message 7: by Florita (new)

Hi Carrie - how's it going?

message 8: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieking) | 7 comments Hi Rita

Sorry I have been quiet, just reading all Your Lot's Boff Talk makes me feel very humble. I simply enjoy good music. I haven't a clue what some of these brilliant Composers are trying to portray....I am purely a contented listener.

I am busy running the gammut of a Promotions Tour for 'Joni-Pip', so my life is pretty much taken up with Book Signings, Interviews and Radio slots. I am dying to get back to my Sanctuary....a 32' Mobile Home, by the River Ouse, in the pretty village of Felmersham in Bedfordshire....it's only a 45 minute drive from my house but I feel I can really escape there to write...which I am desperate to get back to. I hate all this Publicity Stuff, I am a writer not a performer...oh dear, I do sound unappreciative of my Media Team's efforts but it's the written word that I love....not my spoken words!!!

In saying all that I know I have to do it to get my name known....or so my Marketing Manager tells me!!!

How about you, Rita, what have you been up to?

Carrie

message 9: by george (new)

george (george99) | 17 comments Mod
Do the French still try to claim him as a Frenchman?

message 10: by Florita (new)

Ha - for years I thought he was Hungarian! :D

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 14 comments "I tell you a secret about Chopin, piano is his best friend. More. He tells piano all his secrets."

Taken from the new Macmillan book

Piano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy