Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > April 2019: The Immortalists

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
Discussion for this one starts here!

message 2: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
I LOVED THIS ONE.

Hands down one of my favorite books I have read to date. This was such a well told story about four siblings that find out their date of death.

All of the siblings were so complex and I really loved the way the book time jumped (not like literally but narratively). I thought Chloe did an amazing job at really making that work.

Simon, baby. Ugh. Klara, you poor, magical golden girl. Daniel, such a wonderful person with such a dark and haunting past just trying to find some mundanity. And Varya, the broken soul. I WANT TO HOLD ALL OF YOU IN MY PALM AND MAKE SUR EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OKAY.

I felt to connected to each one of them and I give props to Chole for that. Thanks for ripping my literal heart out BENJAMIN.

message 3: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 23 comments This finally arrived after a 6-week Libby hold! Starting it next week - can't wait! =)

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Labinger (blabinger) | 11 comments I also loved the timeline and switching narrator style of this book. I read Benjamin's other book, The Anatomy of Dreams and loved it, and I didn't even realize these were written by the same person until after it was chosen for the month. I had seen The Immortalists in reviews and such (I'm a librarian so I read ALL THE REVIEWS) but hadn't made the connection. I'm so glad I read it!!

My favorite siblings were Klara and Simon. I loved how they were independent and didn't just "do the right thing" all the time. Those types of characters tend to interest me more. Who was/were your favorite(s)?

message 5: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 23 comments Just finished this last night - not sure what I thought. I liked it overall and definitely liked Simon the best but also, my heart was beating so fast reading his chapters! Just knowing what was about to happen to him was hard and upsetting - and without giving out a spoiler, was happy about a later meeting in the book!