Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > April 2019: My Sister, The Serial Killer

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Discussion for this one starts here!

message 2: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I just finished this one so Ill gather my thoughts and get them in here!

message 3: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 23 comments I need to gather my thoughts too because my first inclination is “what?!?!?” 😅 interested to hear what you thought!!

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Labinger (blabinger) | 11 comments What did others think of the ending?

I was stuck between liking the open-endedness and feeling like I wasn't fully satisfied, but it's also been a little while since I read it (I read it prior to its announcement as this month's book).

I read it in only a day or so, so it definitely kept my attention. Korede was fascinating to me! I felt like there was something about her--maybe hunger?--that I couldn't place but made me want more.

message 5: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

So I really did enjoy this book. I guess I did not know what to expect with this book. This was a social media hyped book, so I was very very interested in getting my hands on it.

I loved the sisters relationship, even though at times Korede and Ayoola were *TOO* much to handle. This is the one thing that knocked it down to a 3.5. There relationship was close to being real for me, but it didn't really hit.

I thought the concept for the narrative was FABULOUS and i really loved that it was not a focus on a serial killer. I think that genre needed a book like this. It had obvious hints to crime, but it was more psychologically focused on the relationships between people which is what I enjoyed.

I was confused about the father. I wasn't sure how much he added to the tale but he seemed fairly predominant in the book. That was one thing I was thinking more was going to come out of, but didn't. I know it connected with the sisters relationship and what not, but I guess it felt like filler to me.

Also, the nonrealistic obsession Tade had. Idk. I wasn't really into that but I felt like it was a huge plot pint for the story so it needed to be there. But maybe thats why. It felt too neat?

message 6: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I agree with the ending. It felt like it just ended and there wasn’t any real satisfaction to it. Idk!! I feel like I go back and forth so much on this book with things!!

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Labinger (blabinger) | 11 comments I also felt weird about Tade. I didn’t understand why he was considered so amazing when he seemed like a shallow dunderhead and I didn’t understand why he was so obsessed with a woman he just met. I guess that obsession goes along with the dunderhead thing!

message 8: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 23 comments When I first finished it, I was like “what?!?” and a little angry at the ending. But it really stuck with me for days as I analyzed etc! The original title I read was “Thicker than Water” which makes a lot of sense!! Yes Tade was a typical jerk but I think he was there giving her pause to condoning her sister’s behavior. She had him on a pedestal until her sister revealed his true character! I only gave it 3 stars but I’m raising it to 4 because of how it got me thinking deeper into the book after I finished!! ❤️

message 9: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Brittany wrote: "I also felt weird about Tade. I didn’t understand why he was considered so amazing when he seemed like a shallow dunderhead and I didn’t understand why he was so obsessed with a woman he just met. ..."

Super agree on Tade. I kind of felt like this with most of the characters. I guess for me this book was SOOOO hyped I was expecting this literary genius of a thriller. And in a sense, it was a very unexpected in the sense of what I was expecting this book to be. But I guess the characters to me were lacking ands were flat?

I do think the Thicker than Water title is interesting, but think I prefer the title it was given. It gives a look inside the book and gives a major key away but I think provides the readers a lot to sit with as well.

message 10: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Kristine wrote: "When I first finished it, I was like “what?!?” and a little angry at the ending. But it really stuck with me for days as I analyzed etc! The original title I read was “Thicker than Water” which mak..."

I let it sit with me swell hoping maybe I would let this fester and morph into something more, but meeeeeh. Nothing. I got nothing. Im glad you appreciated it more though :)

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Labinger (blabinger) | 11 comments Part of why I enjoyed this book was because I am tired of hearing about books where only women die, and that even when there is a woman detective or another heroine, it's always women who get killed. I appreciated that this spun that around and had a woman with a serial boyfriend-killing problem instead of hearing more about men who kill their girlfriends, wives, and other women in their lives.

I think I also expected it to be more of the "literary genius" that you also expected, Rachel, but I ended up being okay with it because of the alternative story.

message 12: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I agree! I definitely appreciates the narrative of that. The thriller, mystery, serial killer genre is very stuck on that one idea. The damsel in distress, or the woman who “has” to die in order to push the story. I definitely do agree on that!!

message 13: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 23 comments Brittany wrote: "Part of why I enjoyed this book was because I am tired of hearing about books where only women die, and that even when there is a woman detective or another heroine, it's always women who get kille..."

I agree too! Definitely not the literary genius but an interesting turn-about story line. I'm not sure if I would have read had it not been suggested, but glad I did! And it checked off another one for my PopSugar challenge, alphabet challenge AND my different country a month challenge! =)

message 14: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Kristine wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Part of why I enjoyed this book was because I am tired of hearing about books where only women die, and that even when there is a woman detective or another heroine, it's always wo..."

YES! Love when that happens ;)

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1247 comments I thought it was an interesting twist on the genre. I was immediately drawn into the sisters’ co-dependent relationship. I understood and sympathized with Korede’s dilemma: she loves her sister, has vowed to protect her, but now is racked with guilt and wondering how she can safeguard not only her sister, but the man SHE loves (quietly and from afar). Ayoola is frustratingly irresponsible, cavalier, and, yes, charming. Her lies fall effortlessly from her lips until even Korede seems to believe them.

Flashbacks to their violent father’s actions helped me understand the sisters’ bond. But I cannot help but wonder (view spoiler).

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Ayoola gets away with too much. It was such an out-there concept for a novel, so I was hooked. Korede should have more backbone, though.