NYRB Classics discussion

63 views
General > 5 Overlooked NYRB Classics

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (last edited Apr 08, 2019 06:06PM) (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Check it out on Book Riot

Have you read any of these? I have The Radiance of the King but haven’t read it yet.

https://bookriot.com/2019/04/06/new-y...


message 2: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) Like always, they all look entrancing and I’ll never live long enough to read them all.


message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (uberzensch) | 83 comments I’ve read Talk and Young Man with a Horn. Talk was interesting, but Young Man with a Horn was brilliant. Great writing that captures the feeling of music better than anything else I’ve read.


message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Adams (kadams22) | 20 comments Don't you just love "overlooked" "best-of" "underrated" lists??? I do. I agree with Jason, Young Man with a Horn is brilliant. The others were good, and I haven't read Negrophobia: An Urban Parable but it is on my TBR.

What this does prompt me to ask...top 5 NYRB Classics. Or maybe we've done that. I don't know. I just get a kick out of them.


message 5: by Christopher (last edited Apr 08, 2019 04:41PM) (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 46 comments I can't hear the title Young Man with a Horn without thinking of an old movie I saw once, Swing High, Swing Low, staring Fred MacMurray and Carole Lombard:




message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug Christopher wrote: "I can't hear the title Young Man with a Horn without thinking of an old movie I saw once, Swing High, Swing Low, staring Fred MacMurray and Carole Lombard:

"


That's funny, since there IS actually a 1950 movie version of Baker's book starring Kirk Douglas, Lauren Bacall and Doris Day!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043153/...


message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Randolph wrote: "Like always, they all look entrancing and I’ll never live long enough to read them all."

Maybe we should use these 5 books in the poll for our July read and forego nominations for that month.


message 8: by Louise (last edited Apr 08, 2019 06:10PM) (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Kevin wrote: "What this does prompt me to ask...top 5 NYRB Classics. Or maybe we've done that. I don't know. I just get a kick out of them..."

I would be very curious to find out what those are but how would they be chosen? I could create a poll where we write in our own answers so everyone could write in what they consider is the best NYRB classic.


message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
I`m googling top NYRB lists and found this one, Damion Searls' Top Ten NYRB Classics, but it is from 2010. Still, I am sure these titles are worth reading.

http://conversationalreading.com/dami...


message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Here is another NYRB Top Ten, this one from 2014

http://portersquarebooksblog.blogspot...


message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Adams (kadams22) | 20 comments Louise wrote: "I`m googling top NYRB lists and found this one, Damion Searls' Top Ten NYRB Classics, but it is from 2010. Still, I am sure these titles are worth reading.

http://conversationalreading.com/damion-..."


I absolutely LOVE An African in Greenland. One of (if not my all-time) favorite NYRB Classics.


message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Kevin wrote: "I absolutely LOVE An African in Greenland. One of (if not my all-time) favorite NYRB Classics. ."

I need to bump it up then!


message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Hmm, even Amazon has a list for "Best Sellers in NYRB Classics". The top 3 are Stoner, Season of Migration to the North, and Butcher's Crossing

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-B...


message 14: by Mirko (last edited Apr 09, 2019 08:30PM) (new)

Mirko | 77 comments I haven't read any of the books listed on the top 5, but have read Stoner, which is my all time favourite.

An African in Greenland and Negrophobia: An Urban Parable are on my list to get and read.


message 15: by Trevor (last edited Apr 16, 2019 08:58AM) (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "Maybe we should use these 5 books in the poll for our July read and forego nominations for that month."

I love this idea!


message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
I think I am going to go with it, unless there are any objections?


message 17: by carissa (new)

carissa Louise wrote: "I think I am going to go with it, unless there are any objections?"

It's a great idea.


message 18: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 284 comments Good idea.


message 19: by sisilia (new)

sisilia (sisilia9) | 53 comments Louise wrote: "Randolph wrote: "Like always, they all look entrancing and I’ll never live long enough to read them all."

Maybe we should use these 5 books in the poll for our July read and forego nominations for..."


I love the idea. Let's do it!


message 20: by retired.linda (new)

retired.linda What are the 5 books?


message 22: by WndyJW (last edited Apr 22, 2019 07:23AM) (new)

WndyJW | 284 comments I just bought a Great Granny Webster after hearing about it on a podcast.

The other books I hear mentioned often are Season of Migration to the North and A High Wind in Jamaica.


message 23: by Liz M (last edited Apr 22, 2019 07:53AM) (new)

Liz M | 22 comments WndyJW wrote: "The other books I hear mentioned often are Season of Migration to the North and A High Wind in Jamaica..."

In other words, nyrb books that are NOT overlooked ;)


message 24: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 284 comments Liz M wrote: "WndyJW wrote: "The other books I hear mentioned often are Season of Migration to the North and A High Wind in Jamaica..."

In other words, nyrb books that are NOT overlo..."


Somehow this post morphed from 5 Overlooked NYRB Classics to various blogs lists of Top Ten nyrb Classics to Amazon’s Best Selling nyrb Classics!


back to top