Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Recommendations for Roman Britain Fiction...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma-Nicole (new)

Emma-Nicole Lewis | 11 comments Can anybody recommend easy to digest books on Roman Britain please? I'm familiar with Lindsey Davis and have quite enjoyed a few of her books which are set in Rome, but i am looking for a setting in Roman Britain, preferably between 70-400AD.

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (molomonkey) | 107 comments It’s a bit before the time period your requesting but I absolutely loved The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge about Caractucus and then Boudicca’ rebellion against the Romans. You can also check out The Mistletoe and the Sword: A Story of Roman Britain by Anya Seton. Also for some other ideas this website has a list of books that take place during Roman Britain: http://www.historicalnovels.info/Anci...

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 295 comments Hadrian's Wall by William Dietrich is one that stands out for me (and some of Lindsey Davis' Falco series is set in Roman Britain if you haven't gotten to those yet)

message 4: by Emma-Nicole (new)

Emma-Nicole Lewis | 11 comments Thank you for the helpful list. I love the Queen Bouddica stories (although trying to read about life after all that for a bit of research, I know I’ll be picking up stuff on her though as she is a fascinating woman to read about).
I hadn’t realised that Lindsey Davis had some books that were set in Roman Britain. She’s an easy read so I will go back to her website and check out which ones.
Thanks to both of you for all of these recommendations-great stuff! E-N xx

message 5: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 554 comments I would venture to say that A Year of Ravens: A Novel of Boudica's Rebellion fits this category - it's an anthology novel, but centered around Boudica.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments I second Mistletoe and the Sword. I picked it up one day, just to see how I felt about it, and I got so caught up in it that I never stopped reading it. It really surprised me with its quality, but Anya Seton is known for being a bit slow in the beginning, so be prepared.

message 7: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments Island of Ghosts by Gillian Bradshaw is set in Roman Britain.

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 468 comments Ruth Downie's Medicus (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #1) by Ruth Downie series takes place in Britain. It is a mystery series, and pretty decent.

message 9: by Ben (last edited May 02, 2019 02:58PM) (new)

Ben Kane (benkane) | 6 comments Dark North by Gillian Bradshaw (mentioned above) is fantastic. It's set at the time of Septimius Severus, in the early 3rd C AD. I would also second the recommendation of Ruth Downie's books.
Even better - one of my favourite historical novels of all time - is The Boat of Fate by Keith Roberts, which is set around the time of the legions' withdrawal from Britain in the early 5th C AD. (Ignore the awful coveR!)