Middle East/North African Lit discussion

2019 > Recommendations for May: MENA Historical Figures

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Melanie (magidow) | 595 comments Mod
Dear All,
I'm opening this thread for anyone to recommend books for our May topic: MENA Historical Figures.

The two books that I happen to have chosen for 2019 in this topic are:
1. Travels with a Tangerine: A Journey in the Footnotes of Ibn Battutah
2. The Architect's Apprentice

Let us know if there are others you want to read in this topic this spring!

message 2: by Niledaughter (last edited Apr 09, 2019 01:33AM) (new)

Niledaughter | 2750 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "Dear All,
I'm opening this thread for anyone to recommend books for our May topic: MENA Historical Figures.

The two books that I happen to have chosen for 2019 in this topic are:..."

I want to read " The Architect's Apprentice" as well but I am not sure I can reach a copy . I have Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth by Naguib Mahfouz on my to read list .

message 3: by Jalilah (last edited Apr 09, 2019 05:01AM) (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments I've read The Architect's Apprentice twice already. I would not reread it again so soon, but will definitely comment if there is a discussion thread.
Otherwise I prefer to read a novel if possible. I noticed many of the novels as well as biographies about famous figures from the MENA region are written by non-MENA authors. I have not had much luck finding any translations of MENA authors.
Last year I read Empress of the East: How a European Slave Girl Became Queen of the Ottoman Empire which is the biography of "Hurrem Sultan", the consort of Suleyman the Magnificent because I was also watching the Turkish series Magnificent Century. I wonder if there are any Turkish books, either novels or biographies about her or other figures at that time that have been translated into English?

message 4: by Jalilah (last edited Apr 09, 2019 05:07AM) (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments I was interested in reading Tree of Pearls, Queen of Egypt, but it's only available as an ebook.

message 5: by Niledaughter (new)

Jalilah wrote: "I was interested in reading Tree of Pearls, Queen of Egypt, but it's only available as an ebook."
I did not read for Jurji Zaydan before .

Jalilah wrote: " I have not had much luck finding any translations of MENA authors.
Last year I read Empress of the East: How a European Slave Girl Became Queen of the Ottoman Empire which is the biography of "Hurrem Sultan", the consort of Suleyman the Magnificent..."

Unfortunately I do not know any , but since we are talking about Turkey I think I have a copy of Regards from the Dead Princess: Novel of a Life somewhere .

message 6: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "I was interested in reading Tree of Pearls, Queen of Egypt, but it's only available as an ebook."
I did not read for Jurji Zaydan before .

Jalilah wrote: " I have n..."

Thanks I just looked it up and saw Rina gave it 5 stars! I am going to see if I can find a copy!

message 7: by Niledaughter (new)

Jalilah wrote: "I was interested in reading Tree of Pearls, Queen of Egypt, but it's only available as an ebook."

Should we include it in the poll or you think it will be difficult to find ?

message 8: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "I was interested in reading Tree of Pearls, Queen of Egypt, but it's only available as an ebook."

Should we include it in the poll or you think it will be difficult..."

I am not sure! I'd like to read it but am inclined to say no because nothing is more frustrating than a book read for books that are impossible to find!

message 9: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments I’d like to read Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth

message 10: by Niledaughter (new)

Jalilah wrote: "I am not sure! I'd like to read it but am inclined to say no because nothing is more frustrating than a book read for books that are impossible to find!..."

Okay , I guess it will be better not to include it , a poll is on the way :)

Nan wrote: "I’d like to read Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth"

Great ! we will see what will come out of the poll

message 11: by Niledaughter (new)

Poll is over .

We will be reading The Architect's Apprentice May 7th (it will be lead by Melanie)

There will be a buddy read for Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth starting from May 21 , I will be leading that one.

As for Regards from the Dead Princess: Novel of a Life if anyone would like to lead the discussion we can make it as a group read as well .

message 12: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "I am not sure! I'd like to read it but am inclined to say no because nothing is more frustrating than a book read for books that are impossible to find!..."

Okay , I guess it will ..."

I’m reading Akhenaten, Dweller In Truth now. I look forward to the discussion in May. Thank You for including it in a buddy read.

message 13: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 316 comments I would like to join the buddy read for Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth if I may. I'll be picking it up within the next few days.

message 14: by Niledaughter (last edited May 01, 2019 06:31AM) (new)

Great ! :)

Anyone will be interested in reading " Regards from the Dead Princess: Novel of a Life "?

message 15: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Great ! :)

Anyone will be interested in reading " Regards from the Dead Princess: Novel of a Life "?"

I definitely want to read it but can't commit until I am sure I can get a copy.

message 16: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments Tamara wrote: "I would like to join the buddy read for Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth if I may. I'll be picking it up within the next few days."

I will definitely join in on this. My library has it so I have already ordered it.

message 17: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments I have read The Architect's Apprentice twice already. I won't reread but will join in a discussion

message 18: by Niledaughter (new)

Jalilah wrote: "I will definitely join in on this. My library has it so I have already ordered it. ..."

Great :)

Jalilah wrote: "I definitely want to read it but can't commit until I am sure I can get a copy.."

Please let me know then :)

message 20: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Great ! :)

Anyone will be interested in reading " Regards from the Dead Princess: Novel of a Life "?"

I have a library copy of Regards from the Dead Princess: Novel of a Life!
Would anyone else like to read it with me?
I have it for 2 weeks!

message 21: by Niledaughter (new)

Jalilah wrote: "Niledaughter wrote: "Great ! :)

I have a library copy of [book:Regards from the Dead Princess: Novel of..."

I am not sure ,I have so much on my plate right now:(