What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Way Back Home
This topic is about The Way Back Home
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA-teen takes grandma out of nursing home, on roadtrip. [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kassi (last edited Apr 10, 2019 08:25AM) (new) - added it

Kassi | 14 comments Recent YA title where a kid (a boy I think) "breaks" his grandparent (I think grandmother) out of the nursing home for a roadtrip? I haven't read it, but remember reading a blurb and cannot find it again. Sound familiar? Thanks!

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A. | 242 comments Not that recent and a girl rather than a boy, but since it involves breaking an old lady out of a nursing home for a road trip, I might as well throw out a guess -- Hit the Road by Caroline B. Cooney?

message 3: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
How to Avoid Extinction is a more recent title with a boy on a road trip with his grandmother.

message 4: by Kassi (new) - added it

Kassi | 14 comments I do think Hit the Road is pretty close. And maybe I am remembering elements of it. I really thought that the teen took the grandparent out of a nursing home or hospital or something, but the "for one last" event does sound right. How to Avoid Extinction does not sound familiar to me at all, so I do not believe that was it.
Thank you both! I will see if anyone else has suggestions.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A. | 242 comments Oh wow, I thought for sure Andria's was it, but cool if this ends up being the one you're looking for. It's not in the Goodreads summary, but she and her grandmother do get one of the grandmother's friends out of a nursing home / hospital, in a somewhat unauthorized way.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15777 comments If it's neither of the ones mentioned, you might also check the Young Adult Road Trip Novels list.

message 7: by Kassi (new) - added it

Kassi | 14 comments Thank you! I checked that Goodreads list before posting here and got a lot of great titles off of it. As it isn't one I read, but just a summary when I was looking for books to add to my library, maybe I am misremembering and it is the Cooney book. I will leave this on open for a bit and see if anyone else has suggestions before saying it was probably that one.

message 8: by Kris (last edited Apr 11, 2019 09:12AM) (new)

Kris | 32298 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Hit the Road by Caroline B. Cooney - Stephanie's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=6uj...

message 9: by TheCarmanita (new)

TheCarmanita | 1 comments This isn't exactly it--but it a blurb would have had some of the same details you mentioned. It was popular when it first came out a couple years ago, so blurbs of all kinds were everywhere.

It is about a teen who finds his grandfather's journal, which details his gradfather's life with dementia, and goes on a roadtrip to relive his grandfather's last week. Figured I'd throw it in here, just in case it's helpful.

A Lite Too Bright

message 10: by Kassi (new) - added it

Kassi | 14 comments I misread Stephanie's comment that they break one of the grandmother's friends out of the nursing home. That could help it be it, because I was pretty sure they "busted" someone out of somewhere. Although, I had thought ti was the grandmother. I looked to see if maybe a new cover came out so it was in a publisher's digest newsletter and that is where I saw it, thinking it was recent, but that doesn't seem to be the case either. Maybe it was just being promoted. It was likely that I guess. I still don't feel sure.

message 11: by Summer (new)

Summer | 240 comments Honey, Baby, Sweetheart has a teenage protagonist whose book club busts one of their members out of a retirement home after her daughters commits her, and take her on a road trip to meet her long lost first love.

message 12: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1976 comments If you're still looking for this, The Way Back Home is another possibility. Here's the description:

"When her parents want to put Granny in a home, Zoe decides now is the time to break free. She smuggles Granny out and together they hit the tracks on a cross-country trip to find Zoe's long-lost uncle."

message 13: by Kassi (new) - added it

Kassi | 14 comments Becca wrote: "If you're still looking for this, The Way Back Home is another possibility. Here's the description:

"When her parents want to put Granny in a home, Zoe decides now is the time to b..."

Yes! I am almost positive this was what I was looking for! I remember the cover! Thanks so much!

message 14: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1976 comments You're welcome! Glad to help.