Horror Aficionados discussion

Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
This topic is about Red Dragon
Buddy Reads > Red Dragon - Thomas Harris

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ginger | 3223 comments Hey gang!! Come join Terry and I for a buddy read of Red Dragon! We're starting tomorrow and would love if others wanted to join.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Marie Helene (last edited Apr 08, 2019 12:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marie Helene | 694 comments Thinking about buddy re-reading it 😀

Loved the book, loved the first book-to-film adaptation (Manhunter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8Kl...

message 3: by Ginger (last edited Apr 08, 2019 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Marie Helene wrote: "Thinking about buddy re-reading it 😀

Loved the book, loved the first book-to-film adaptation (Manhunter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8Kl..."

Awesome!! Come join us for a re-read if you would like Marie Helene. We're both reading other books right now so we're not planning on going fast with the BR.

Terry | 4837 comments Thanks for posting that, Marie Helene. I didn't know about that movie.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Well crap! I thought this was that Stephen King Dragon book I have. 😂🤣 I think I got rid of all Hannibal books without reading them when I got mad abs had a big clean out. I need to do that again.

Anyhoo, enjoy

message 6: by Ginger (last edited Apr 08, 2019 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Well crap! I thought this was that Stephen King Dragon book I have. 😂🤣 I think I got rid of all Hannibal books without reading them when I got mad abs had a big clean out. I need to do that again. ..."

Thanks Melissa!! One day will do a buddy read on the right book together. 😃👍

Terry | 4837 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Well crap! I thought this was that Stephen King Dragon book I have. 😂🤣 I think I got rid of all Hannibal books without reading them when I got mad abs had a big clean out. I need to do that again. ..."

Ha, thanks Melissa! Ive been meaning to reread that SK book, Eyes of the Dragon, at some point also.

Terry | 4837 comments So, are you reading the paperback Ginger? The copy I have has an interesting forward by the author. One thing I learned that I didn’t know was that this book is 38 years old now! I’ve never paid attention to the fact that it was that old.

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 320 comments I envy all of you who are experiencing "Red Dragon" for the first time! Equaling and often surpassing Harris' "Silence of The Lambs".

Take your time with this one, the suspense is quite palpable!

Terry | 4837 comments Thanks, Robert! I certainly hope to enjoy it.

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 320 comments My pleasure.. When will the discussion start?

Terry | 4837 comments We’re starting in earnest tomorrow. Just read the forward tonight.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Thanks guys!

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments I've been wanting to read this too, so I might try to join in.😊

Terry | 4837 comments Terrific Vickie! Hope you can join along.

message 16: by Ginger (last edited Apr 08, 2019 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "So, are you reading the paperback Ginger? The copy I have has an interesting forward by the author. One thing I learned that I didn’t know was that this book is 38 years old now! I’ve never paid at..."

I got it on Kindle but I also had the forward by the author in the Kindle version. Wow! It really pulled me in and I can't wait to start tomorrow!
I had no idea it was that old as well. LOL!

Ginger | 3223 comments Robert wrote: "I envy all of you who are experiencing "Red Dragon" for the first time! Equaling and often surpassing Harris' "Silence of The Lambs".

Take your time with this one, the suspense is quite palpable!"

Yay!! Great to hear Robert. I've been wanting to read this series for years!

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "I've been wanting to read this too, so I might try to join in.😊"

I hope you can join us as well Vickie!!

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 580 comments This book is really a good one. As a book is hard to choose which one is better, it or the Silence of the Lambs. Mr D is quite a good villain. As a movie I prefer the Silence. Not that the Red Dragon movie is a bad one.

Ginger | 3223 comments Rafael wrote: "This book is really a good one. As a book is hard to choose which one is better, it or the Silence of the Lambs. Mr D is quite a good villain. As a movie I prefer the Silence. Not that the Red Drag..."

I agree with you Rafael on the movie. I loved "Silence of the Lambs" more then "Manhunter", but it was still good!
I'm glad I'm finally reading the books. I've wanted to for years and glad to see you loved them!

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 580 comments Ginger wrote: "Rafael wrote: "This book is really a good one. As a book is hard to choose which one is better, it or the Silence of the Lambs. Mr D is quite a good villain. As a movie I prefer the Silence. Not th..."

For me Red Dragon is better than Manhunter. I didn't enjoy Manhunter.

message 22: by Ginger (last edited Apr 09, 2019 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Rafael wrote: "For me Red Dragon is better than Manhunter. I didn't enjoy Manhunter. ..."

Great to hear! I haven't seen it yet.

Terry | 4837 comments I got started today. Read the first three chapters. Off to a good start!

message 24: by Ginger (last edited Apr 09, 2019 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "I got started today. Read the first three chapters. Off to a good start!"

Awesome! I should be able to read some tonight and catch up with you. I made some space in my reading this week. Whew. hahaha!

Terry | 4837 comments Nice! 3 chapters is probably my limit right now, too.

Marie Helene | 694 comments I'll join on Thursday. Happy reading.

Ginger | 3223 comments Just got three chapters done. I agree Terry! It’s off to a good start.

That’s awesome Marie Helene! Glad you can join.

Terry | 4837 comments Excellent Marie Helene! You'll easily catch us.

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments It's pretty good so far! Started it yesterday and didn't want to put it down, but sadly I had to since life got in the way. ;-) I got through seven chapters and boy, Lecter is creeeepy. The whole psychological-mind games aspect is what freaks me out more than the gruesome crimes. Yikes!

Terry | 4837 comments I’m at the same point, end of ch7, and I agree, Vickie, good so far. What you mention about Lecter is what makes him such a great, unique character, I think. Definitely creepy!

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "It's pretty good so far! Started it yesterday and didn't want to put it down, but sadly I had to since life got in the way. ;-) I got through seven chapters and boy, Lecter is creeeepy. The whole p..."

Yay!! I'm glad you started Vickie. I just got to the start of Ch 7 before he goes to meet Lecter. I'm looking forward to reading that later today. I got to that part at 9am last night and thought,
"Eh, maybe you should wait until tomorrow to read this chapter. Your dreams might be really f'ed up tonight!" hahaha!!

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "I’m at the same point, end of ch7, and I agree, Vickie, good so far. What you mention about Lecter is what makes him such a great, unique character, I think. Definitely creepy!"

Glad we're all around the same point. I'm glad you are liking this so far Terry!

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Ginger wrote: "Vickie wrote: "It's pretty good so far! Started it yesterday and didn't want to put it down, but sadly I had to since life got in the way. ;-) I got through seven chapters and boy, Lecter is creeee..."

LOL, yes, I totally agree Ginger!

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Terry wrote: "I’m at the same point, end of ch7, and I agree, Vickie, good so far. What you mention about Lecter is what makes him such a great, unique character, I think. Definitely creepy!"

Yes, absolutely! I like those kind of characters as well, but they definitely freak me out, lol.

message 35: by Ginger (last edited Apr 11, 2019 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Yep, that chapter with Graham & Lecter was creepy. I’m trying not to visualize Anthony Hopkins but holy smokes, he did a fantastic job on acting like Lecter!
I’m trying to understand Will Graham better. Do you think he understands serial killers well because he has some of the same thoughts but keeps it locked up? I find him to be a fascinating main character.
Just got to Ch 11

Terry | 4837 comments It’s impossible not to visualize Hopkins, isn’t it?! He was just perfectly psychopathic in his portrayal.

I agree on Graham too. Very interesting, his struggles. I can see how he would feel uncomfortable thinking he may have a connection there.

I’m just on ch9. Will pick it back up tomorrow.

Terry | 4837 comments I do feel an interesting connection to this story so far. My dad was a homicide detective the whole time I was growing up. He was gone a lot on cases. He’s never shared his experiences as it was just not something he wanted to share at home. I feel like I’m getting an interesting look behind the scenes now of what it may have been like for him, in a general sense, of course.

message 38: by Ginger (last edited Apr 11, 2019 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "I do feel an interesting connection to this story so far. My dad was a homicide detective the whole time I was growing up. He was gone a lot on cases. He’s never shared his experiences as it was ju..."

I can totally see this because the main character doesn’t really tell Molly or others anything about cases or what he’s experienced.
I’m sure your Dad was also trying to protect you from the nitty and gritty of his cases. Do you think this is why you like crime detective novels and thrillers because of your Dad?
I was planning on being a cop and then homicide detective about 10 years ago before my brother died. I was in the last stages of hiring but my parents couldn’t handle having two kids die so I stayed in engineering. But the cop bug has never left me! 🤣😂

Terry | 4837 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "I do feel an interesting connection to this story so far. My dad was a homicide detective the whole time I was growing up. He was gone a lot on cases. He’s never shared his experience..."

Good question. May have a little to do with it. If I really had to guess though, i would say it would be my engineering oriented mind wanting to solve puzzles and make everything add up. I would guess you fit that bill also - that and the cop bug of course! Very interesting you almost went that route. Not meaning anything disparaging, I hope to believe that you're happier in the long run with your choice.

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Yes, I can't help but see Hopkins in my mind as well! And how interesting...we all seem to have connections in the law enforcement world. My father was a local detective and never talked about his work either. However, my hubby worked in forensics for many years, and he would enlighten me with stories over dinner! It was fascinating. :-)

message 41: by Ginger (last edited Apr 11, 2019 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry - No, I don’t regret it and my marriage doesn’t as well. I think being a cop would have been rewarding but also very hard. The law enforcement is tough on marriages and emotions!

That’s funny to hear Vickie!! It looks like we all have connections and likely why we read books like this. 🤣😂
I would have loved forensics as a career too and I’m sure your husband had some crazy stories!!

Terry | 4837 comments We're just loaded with connections! 🤓😁

Terry | 4837 comments I just read the part in ch15 where (view spoiler)

message 44: by Ginger (last edited Apr 13, 2019 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "I just read the part in ch15 where [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, I felt for him on having to explain (view spoiler)
I just got to Ch 18 and stopping for a bit. I’ve unfortunately got to be productive today around the house and do chores. Boooo 🤣😂
I’m really enjoying the chase of catching the Tooth Fairy but also all the forensics in the book!

message 45: by Terry (last edited Apr 13, 2019 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 4837 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "I just read the part in ch15 where [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, I felt for him on having to explain [spoilers removed]
I just got to Ch 18 and stopping for a bit. I’ve unfortunately got..."

Boo is right! I'm in the same boat having to work this afternoon. I did get up to the start of ch21 this morning. Ch 19 and 20 are... I couldn't stop reading!

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Agree with both of you about chapter 15. I'm at chapter 19. Wish I could have gotten further but had too much on my plate today.😕 Hopefully I can get more time in tomorrow because it's getting really good!

Marie Helene | 694 comments I've joined the buddy read 😀 Started a few days ago.
Well, I read Red Dragon a long time ago 👵 (lol) but it was in French and unfortunately (and not a big surprise) the translation was so-so.
So happy to be reading it with you and this time in English.
I'm a few pages into Ch7 and readying myself to meet Lecter.
So far so good, the book is excellent.

message 48: by Ginger (last edited Apr 14, 2019 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Great that you’re reading it now Marie Helene! What do you think is the difference between the translation vs English? Is the original version (English) more suspenseful?

I had the same problem Vickie! I had to finish up a library book before it was due and too many chores yesterday. I’m looking forward to getting back to this today.

I just got to Ch 20 last night Terry and I can’t wait to read it!

Terry | 4837 comments Well, I’ve not been able to put it down again this morning and I’m in the middle of ch27. It’s just so suspenseful! I’m going to stop though and wait for everyone to catch up.

message 50: by Ginger (last edited Apr 14, 2019 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "Well, I’ve not been able to put it down again this morning and I’m in the middle of ch27. It’s just so suspenseful! I’m going to stop though and wait for everyone to catch up."

So good to hear! I just got done with Ch 21. 😱😱 (view spoiler)

I’ll get to Ch 27 today. No worries, it’s too addicting of a read. 😉🤣

« previous 1