Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

April 2019 > Tell us what you love

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hello (new)

Hello Sunshine | 58 comments Mod
There are so many layers to this book--we want to know what were your favorite parts? Any lines that stood out to you? Moments?

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments I loved all of the magical realism. I can’t even pick certain parts out that I loved, because I loved all of it!

message 3: by Sherral (new)

Sherral Loved every moment of this book! One theme I especially liked is that sometimes, even though someone deeply loves you, they may not always have your best interests at heart and may try to influence you in ways that benefit themselves.

message 4: by Raymond (new)

Raymond | 2 comments I enjoyed reading about the first time Ren and Ji Lin met and also them learning about their connection.

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 6 comments I don’t think I could piece it all together.

The night tiger (MacFarlene) wasn’t killing people...it was Lydia and orderly, right?

There were too many issues going on that I couldn’t get straight.
The night tiger killing people even before MacFarlene does.
The 5 virtues were trying to come together.
Fingers missing from the hospital.
Shin and Ju Lin’s relationship.
The death train in Ji Lin and Ren’s dream.

I think I was trying too hard to keep up to really enjoyed. Maybe if I read it rather than the audible, I would have done better.

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Urda | 17 comments This was a really enjoyable read, and my favorite part that stood out is the link to the 5 virtues and how Lydia ties into the story. You spend a great deal of the novel trying to figure out who the missing virtue was, and I was caught off guard that it was Lydia. Another part that stood out to me was how real the dream sequences were and how they intertwined not only between the characters, but in the character's awake state.

message 7: by Stef (new)

Stef Watkin | 1 comments I loved this book!! However I agree that some bits were just left hanging! The tiger but was built up and then not really explained. And the finger thing I didn’t really get what was going on there either!!! I feel it was just a reason to get Ren to cross paths with Ji and then quickly finished off with no explanation of what was going on with the master.

However I still loved it, I loved the virtues and the culture. It was fantastic! The Lydia bit was great and I really engaged with the characters, not trusting The step brother at the beginning but then realising he was nice. The character were the best bit and for that I can forgive a slightly holed plot

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy West (sandywest) | 18 comments Finished this yesterday. It’s good, but I am thinking too many storylines for it to be fully understood. There’s no closure for things. And, I never fully got the night tiger concept. Believe Lydia was poisoning people and then helped those poisoned get into accidents.

message 9: by Jody (new)

Jody | 8 comments I enjoyed learning about the Chinese culture and virtues, and love the picture of Malaya that the author painted; very lush and tropical. Loved the dream sequences and train analogy. I do feel that there were too many storylines, and not enough closure; and who/what was the Night Tiger??

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4 comments A little late to the game, but I loved everything! I loved the connection between Ren and Ji Lin and the relationship with Ji Lin and Shin! I loved the mystery of trying to figure out who was the 5th virtue and if Dr. MacFarlane would get his finger buried with him. I wished that Lydia would have somehow drunk her own poison tea at the end instead of Acton but I loved how everything ended up.

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssascard) | 57 comments I liked learning about the five virtues and how Ji Lin and Ren were connected and how they knew about it in their minds.