Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

April 2019 > The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hello (new)

Hello Sunshine | 58 comments Mod
Reese's April Book Pick is THE NIGHT TIGER by Yangsze Choo.

We can't wait for y'all to dig into this one. There was so much discussion about this book here in the office. Who are the five virtues? Is there really a Night Tiger? The setting! The characters! So much to enjoy with this Pick.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (rockermom16) | 8 comments The 5 virtues are not something I was familiar with prior to this book. I find it interesting that they are supposed to male only. There must be some tie to the fact that Li and her stepbrother are named after two of them. How does Ren fit in? is he blood related? Or is by spirit? How are the two doctor's that Ren is houseboy for linked? So many questions. As I read even more questions. i have to read faster so I can find the answers. The beauty of this setting is very much coming alive in my head thanks to the vivid descriptions by the author.

message 3: by Natasha (new)

Natasha MacQuarrie | 2 comments The book arrived yesterday, I’m excited to read it as this will be my first time reading a Reese Witherspoon book club pick.

message 4: by Moonkiszt (new)

Moonkiszt (moonkisztgmailcom) Will start this one soon!! I like hearing all the things to look for!

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber | 2 comments I listened to this book via Audible while getting ready for work in the mornings. I really enjoyed the narration. I like the mix of cultures... science... folklore....and tradition. Great combination of mystery......and mysticism.

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Kay (bunzreads) | 5 comments I just finished it and want to talk about it so badly! The question that is still burning is a spoiler though...

message 7: by Lik (new)

Lik C | 1 comments Just finished as well. There are so many things here that I wished were done better.

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 4 comments Just started Night Tiger, and am fairly unengaged so far. Did most of you enjoy this book? Would you recommend sticking with it?

message 9: by Moonkiszt (new)

Moonkiszt (moonkisztgmailcom) Natalie wrote: "Just started Night Tiger, and am fairly unengaged so far. Did most of you enjoy this book? Would you recommend sticking with it?"

I hate to encourage anyone to disengage once started, but I stayed with this to the end and am still confused even after all the discussion threads. . . nothing is explained or revealed, and so for me nothing much is learned except that's it for me. I'm done with this author. She needs a reader who is ready to suspend disbelief to a greater degree than I can do. . . .good luck! And if you get it figured out, come back to me, ok?

message 10: by marita (new)

marita lazarus (literatidivas) | 6 comments i heard the book on audible and i loved it. It's chinese mysticism - and through audible I was able to understand who the night tiger was; who the 5th confucius symbol was. If I can help clear anything up (again based on what I understood from hearing her narrate the book) I'll be happy to.

message 11: by Moonkiszt (new)

Moonkiszt (moonkisztgmailcom) marita wrote: "i heard the book on audible and i loved it. It's chinese mysticism - and through audible I was able to understand who the night tiger was; who the 5th confucius symbol was. If I can help clear anyt..."

Marita! clear away. . . .it was the boy?

message 12: by marita (new)

marita lazarus (literatidivas) | 6 comments Spoiler alert. Spoiler alert.

Moonkiszt.

The 5 were the boy Ren, Jin li, shin, yi (the dead twin of Ren), and li- who is Lydia (the Li)

The were-tiger was dr MacFarland. Who stopped killing once his finger was returned

The finger thefts at the hospital were because they were sold as talisman. And

Lydia killed the two women that William liked and prepared the poison that William ingested accidentally

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue | 19 comments I somewhat agree with Marita - I also listened via audible and at first I did get a bit confused with characters but was very engaged by mid book and the end. I also understood it as describing five Confucian virtues and also superstitions. I found it intriguing and I appreciated the ending.

message 14: by Moonkiszt (new)

Moonkiszt (moonkisztgmailcom) marita wrote: "Spoiler alert. Spoiler alert.

Moonkiszt.

The 5 were the boy Ren, Jin li, shin, yi (the dead twin of Ren), and li- who is Lydia (the Li)

The were-tiger was dr MacFarland. Who stopped killing..."

Thank you!!! I appreciate the explanation. . . .I had some of it but not all. . . .I listened, too, but it still slipped through my fingers. . . ;)

message 15: by marita (new)

marita lazarus (literatidivas) | 6 comments Yes the only thing I could have done without was the creepy step sibling relationship that bordered on obsession

message 16: by Moonkiszt (new)

Moonkiszt (moonkisztgmailcom) Yea. That worried me.

message 17: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 4 comments I finished it in two days. Loved it, the characters, and the mysticism in the story line. Great book.