Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Book of the Month > April/May/June BOM

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
Hey all! So, due to lack of participation with BOM the last few months Adele and I discussed and we will do a "Seasonal" or "Quarterly" BOM. We will put a genre, theme, color, etc,.. Same as a regular BOM, but you can read what you want. As you post what you read I will add to the BOM wall. Depending on participation the book will go under our "Read" list, or just deleted to prevent confusion.

So, without further adieu... The BOM genre for this quarters is: *drum roll*

Paranormal Romance

Yes, who doesn't love a little Spring PNR? It can be any PNR you want. You have a book in a series you want to read, a book you need to complete, etc,... Spring has Sprung in the Northern Hemisphere and Autumn has fallen on the Southern Hemisphere. Seasons are either getting warmer or colder, so let's see what you guys are reading between gardening, walks in the park, warming up by a fire, watching seasons bloom or die, or binging Netflix!

I will post a new Genre, Color, or Theme in late June/ Early July to go with Summer/Winter.

message 2: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

I just finished Book 10 of the Midnight Breed Series, Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed, #10) by Lara Adrian , so I will be moving onto greener pastures. I want to complete the series, up to the newest book, Book 16, but I want to bang out a few other books.

I plan on banging out a few single books, and I don't really consider this book a "Paranormal Romance", but the show did have a lot of Paranormal involvement (Demons/Hell vs. Heaven)and there was a lot of romance and sex, considering it was 1989-1991, so I will allow this and add it to the list.

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch

It is from the series Twin Peaks and I read it when I was like 10 or 11, but it is on Audiobook now, read by the woman who played Laura Palmer on the show, so I have wanted to hear this forever!!!!!

Has anyone else seen the show or read this book? Are you reading a book, or involved in a series that is PNR?

message 3: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1082 comments Mod
I watched the original and it got a little too psychedelic for me at the end. I really liked it even as it delved into the paranormal but then the backwards, etc... filming.

So I just finished two paranormal romances from a popular series, Thea Harrison's Elder Races (spin off Moonshadow), the first was a re-read
Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison , I gave it a 4 1/2 in my review from 2013. On my reread I wasn't sure why I bumped it down rather than up as I really loved it the second time around. It is part of a series read along in another group and is April's book. I liked it so much I decided to stay in the same world and read the latest Moonshadow which is a spin off of Elder Races (it had a bit of Dragos in the beginning)
Lionheart (Moonshadow, #3) by Thea Harrison , from what I've read, this should be the last of the Moonshadow spin off. It did end a series plot arc so sounds right. It was pretty good, not as good as some of the first Elder Races books. I wasn't crazy about the first book and only started to like the series on the second but the 3rd and then 4th kind of hooked me into the series.

message 4: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Is anyone else reading any PNR? Wondering who else is involved in the BOM, what you are reading, and if there is anything you recommend.

message 5: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I've read
Night Reigns (Immortal Guardians, #2) by Dianne Duvall & Sin & Chocolate (Demigod of San Francisco, #1) by K.F. Breene
also, though I'm not sure if Sin & Chocolate is mostly PNR. It is more a UF series with a tease at a romance. Really quite fun.
Night Reigns is the 2nd of a series I started a while back. The first was good but it didn't pull me back. Someone recommended to continue it a couple of times so I did and am really happy I did as it is a pretty good PNR series.
In a Badger Way (Honey Badger Chronicles, #2) by Shelly Laurenston , I read before any of these this month and missed putting it in. It is set in Shelly Laurenston's Pride series and really... it shouldn't be read without that series as many of the characters show up from there and have there own POVs. I really liked it but I've read the Pride series.

message 6: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

I am just banging out a few easy audiobooks and then I right back into the PNR!

message 7: by Anjali (new)

Anjali | 71 comments I am currently reading TriAlpha series by Serena Akeroyd (paranormal reverse harem) and am on Book 5.

message 8: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I read through
Sin & Chocolate (Demigod of San Francisco, #1) by K.F. Breene Sin & Magic (Demigod of San Francisco #2) by K.F. Breene Sin & Salvation (Demigods of San Francisco, #3) by K.F. Breene , which ends up being a really good UF/PNR where the romance really startes in the 2nd book

message 9: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Has anyone else read any good PNR in April?

message 10: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I'm rereading Hidden Legacy by Ilona Andrews. The next book of the sister is due in September? So I thought it would be a good Summer reread.
Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews White Hot (Hidden Legacy, #2) by Ilona Andrews Wildfire (Hidden Legacy, #3) by Ilona Andrews
it has a great romance arc over three books. First book you are left wonder, second wondering if it'll last, and last book, how they will make it work in a world like this.

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (katwiththehat) | 15 comments I love this series! They also have a novella out bridging the two series. I'm quite excited for the sister's series.

I've been slowly working my way through Chicagoland Vampire (thanks for the rec!) Someone also recommended the Charley Davidson? series to me, but I have several PNR/UF series I want to catch up to the current book out on before I let myself start another one, so that's currently on hold.

message 12: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Kat wrote: "I've been slowly working my way through Chicagoland Vampire (thanks for the rec!) Someone also recommended the Charley Davidson?..."

That was me! Take your time, it is a great series that just ended, so it not a wait for another book when you binge it!!

What series did you love so much? Just curious because if it is that good, I wanna know about it too!

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat (katwiththehat) | 15 comments Oh, sorry, should have quoted! The series I loved was in the post above. "Hidden Legacy" by Ilona Andrews. Another great one!