Book Club for Introverts discussion

The Seven Husbands... > Chapters 28-30

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Let's discuss!

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 10, 2019 03:18PM) (new)

Evelyn was right... too bad that she couldn't get an Oscar for her performance with Mick. While she got what she wanted - scandal, I do think a little something broke inside of her.

I saw the pregnancy coming. What I didn't see was Celia's reaction coming. Their fight was heartbreaking. I agree with Celia when she said that Evelyn thinks she's better than her. I'm sad for Celia. She was caught up in Evelyn's scheme.

And then, of course, Evelyn goes and marries her costar.

I still love Harry.

message 3: by deana everett (new)

deana everett | 124 comments Evelyn is a whore. Harry is right that they all are. It’s sad that she’s willing to do anything to stay relevant.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

deana everett wrote: "Evelyn is a whore. Harry is right that they all are. It’s sad that she’s willing to do anything to stay relevant."

The feminist in me really tries to avoid terms like "whore" but you're right, what she's doing is the actual definition of a whore. I can't decide whether to be upset at her and by what she's doing or upset that those times demanded that from women if they wanted to get ahead.

I can't even imagine being in Monique's shoes as she hears all of this and tries to remain professional.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 35 comments At this point I’m starting to understand why Evelyn is making certain decisions. During this time women had to use their bodies to get ahead, Evelyn understood that. I was sad for Celia, she truly did care about Evelyn but she was used like everybody else Evelyn’s uses.