Book Club for Introverts discussion

The Seven Husbands... > Chapters 11-14

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Let's discuss!

message 2: by Myra (new)

Myra | 48 comments Evelyn's justifications for staying with her husband when he was abusing her were heart wrenching. She had come from an abusive home and here she was again being hurt by a man. She says she needs him---both personally and professionally. Then we learn a little more about Monique's childhood with a father who loved and respected her. Such a contrast to Evelyn's childhood.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
How heartbreaking. Every single one of Evelyn’s justifications came out of my mouth when I was married to my ex. I wanted Harry to pack her up right then but I’m glad the author didn’t portray leaving as that easy because it’s not.

I really like that “Little Women” has been worked into the plot - it’s one of my favorites. And Jo was always my favorite so I’m happy that Evelyn is playing her. Hopefully she will take some of Jo’s no nonsense attitude and leave Don.

message 4: by deana everett (new)

deana everett | 124 comments I’m struck by Evelyn’s realization that she went through so much to get away from an abusive relationship only to end up right back in one. I found it sad that part of the reason she feels she can’t leave him is because of what it will do to her career. I love Monique’s story. Her father seems amazing and it breaks my heart that she only had him for 8 years.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 35 comments It breaks my heart to hear about Evelyn being abused. It definitely hit home for me, and her reasons for staying matched mine at one point.
Somehow I think Monique’s family plays a bigger role in this story, I’m not quite sure how though.

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) Hi Everyone, I’m new to your group and just getting around to reading this book. I’m enjoying it very much. So glad to be able to read your discussion.
As someone else stated, I believe Monique’s father is somehow involved here.