Book Club for Introverts discussion

The Seven Husbands... > Chapters 6 & 7

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Let's discuss!

message 2: by Myra (new)

Myra | 48 comments I can't say I feel sorry for Ernie. As Evelyn said, it all worked out for him in the end. For some reason, I find Monique's mother annoying. I wonder what role she will play in the story and how her character will be developed. I am also not the hugest fan of Monique's yet. She is quick to speak, jumps to judgment, and doesn't have much self confidence. Wondering how her character will be developed, too.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Surely Ernie had some inkling of what she was up to. They didn’t sound like the typical couple to start with. I’m glad things worked out for him and I’m glad that he was a means to getting Evelyn out of her situation.

I’m not crazy about Monique’s mother either. Maybe she’s just bored and wanting to be involved but something seems off.

I’m amazed that Evelyn pulled all this off between ages 14-16. I have a 15 year old daughter and I’m wondering what she’s capable of... she is a theater kid after all. 😂

message 4: by deana everett (new)

deana everett | 124 comments Evelyn used her assets to achieve what she wanted. I think we all do that—or should. The fact that Ernie never contacted her again tells me he was not upset with the outcome. I like Monique’s mother. She’s a mom worried about her daughter. Monique is a contrast of boldness and insecurity. I think it makes her more believable, more human.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 35 comments I think Ernie knew what was coming. That may be why he wasn’t very upset about ending it. In the end it worked out for him so I’m glad he got that. I was also surprised that Evelyn was really risky at a young age. Like they say, if you got it, flaunt it.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Ruth, I agree. I think Ernie knew she wasn’t as old as she claimed... so what should he have really expected?

Evelyn reminds me of my grandmother in a lot of ways and she was very brazen to get out of a bad home situation. She was also very beautiful and used that to her advantage. She was pregnant with my mom at 15, out of the house, and married to a much older guy who she also lied to about her age.