Art Lovers discussion

About Art > Repoussoir

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments Repoussoir

In two-dimensional works of art, such as painting, printmaking, photography or bas-relief, repoussoir (French: [ʁəpuswaʁ], pushing back) is an object along the right or left foreground that directs the viewer's eye into the composition by bracketing (framing) the edge.

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments It became popular with Mannerist and Baroque artists, and is found frequently in Dutch seventeenth-century landscape paintings. Jacob van Ruisdael, for example, often included a tree along one side to enclose the scene. Figures are also commonly employed as repoussoir devices by artists such as Paolo Veronese, Peter Paul Rubens and Impressionists such as Gustave Caillebotte.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repoussoir

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments

The Jewish Cemetery
Jacob Isaaksz. van Ruisdael
1655–60

The tree in the right-foreground of Ruisdael's painting is an example of repoussoir that pushes the viewer's eye into the composition.

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments

The Four Philosophers
Peter Paul Rubens
c. 1615

In his friendship portrait of himself, his brother Philip Rubens, Justus Lipsius and Jan van den Wouwer (left to right), the painter Rubens's self-portrait on the left is an example of a figural repoussoir that is further accentuated by the flowing red curtain.

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments

Paris Street; Rainy Day
Gustave Caillebotte

The rear-facing man on the right with the tilted umbrella is an example of repoussoir figure leading the viewer's gaze into the composition.

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1892 comments I knew that compositional trick, but never knew it had a name. Photographers do it, too. And when I look out my window at the ocean, the top of my neighbor’s palm tree is a repoussoir for my view.

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments Nice! That would be a beautiful view.

I’ve noticed that, how do I describe it, use in objects to point to a the main theme. (Does that make sense?) but I didn’t know it had a name either.

message 8: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Thanks for naming it. Another ignoramus until now.

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Thanks for naming it. Another ignoramus until now."

Thank you, Geoffrey. Now I don't feel so stupid. lol (I'm NOT saying you are stupid...on the contrary, I believe you and Ruth and many other members of the group have much more knowledge and experience than I do.)

message 10: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Heather wrote: "Geoffrey wrote: "Thanks for naming it. Another ignoramus until now."

Thank you, Geoffrey. Now I don't feel so stupid. lol (I'm NOT saying you are stupid...on the contrary, I believe you and Ruth a..."

no need to be so self effacing Heather. You're bringing more to these message threads than any of us. Ruth, lobstergirl and others have the advantage of studying art history at the college level. That's a big head start and we've worked in the field so yes, again, another advantage. I am still amazed by what I don't know so yes, I have a lot to discover, eg.repoussoir

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8276 comments Thank you, Geoffrey!

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments And I forgot to mention Ed or Dirk.